Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Facebook issues (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien23 View Post
    A colleague of mine heard this from his re-seller.
    The reseller is mistaken. Anyone who wants the (fixed) beta version of AE2 has only to ask QA, as has been posted by others.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Makes me wonder whether there's wisdom in splitting out a lot of these encoder setups into modules that can be downloaded separately. It doesn't make sense to have something as inconsequential (and unplannable) as a Facebook API change sit in the queue awaiting a major software update simply because it's monolithic. Suggestion box item?

Quote Originally Posted by webslave View Post
    Makes me wonder whether there's wisdom in splitting out a lot of these encoder setups into modules that can be downloaded separately. It doesn't make sense to have something as inconsequential (and unplannable) as a Facebook API change sit in the queue awaiting a major software update simply because it's monolithic. Suggestion box item?

This sounds like an idea work considering.

Why can't NewTek respond with a solid answer? I purchased the TC1 for all that it could do only to learn it does very little. In theory, it's a wonderful machine. In practice, it's theft.

Quote Originally Posted by ronvargas View Post
    Why can't NewTek respond with a solid answer? I purchased the TC1 for all that it could do only to learn it does very little. In theory, it's a wonderful machine. In practice, it's theft.
    You are aware that this issue was resolved on TC1 shortly after it was discovered, right?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You are aware that this issue was resolved on TC1 shortly after it was discovered, right?

just finding this problem out(of course at a gig)

is this part of the latest update for AE3, or do i need to contact QA still?

thanks
    Doc DeBolt

Digital Matters
    President/Chief Executive Pixel Pusher
    Des Moines, IA

digitalmatters.net

Quote Originally Posted by doc debolt View Post
    is this part of the latest update for AE3, or do i need to contact QA still?
    As far as I know, the current AE3 release is ok.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    As far as I know, the current AE3 release is ok.
    ok, ill check it out later and see..... i had held off on the update specifically to avoid any issues.....lol

damned if you do, damned if you dont.....
    Doc DeBolt

Digital Matters
    President/Chief Executive Pixel Pusher
    Des Moines, IA

digitalmatters.net

Hey schlenkera - I was wondering if you know if this work-around is still applicable?!!? I tried setting up a test stream to a Page that I manage yesterday and the only option I was given was to post to my personal timeline (and that will not be acceptable to my corporate leaders). Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Both TC1 and AE3 works. Just beware the "secure" checkerbox. Had it unchecked yesterday, didn't stream to FB and as i was streaming to YouTube simultaneously, i couldn't stop the stream, check it and start over (checking in afterwards didn't help). So not that big of a deal, but lost some potential audience even though we posted the youtube stream instead. Worked fine today with secure connection on.
    How about getting rid of it, Steve? Or does it serve a purpose I'm unaware?

Quote Originally Posted by bartolomeo View Post
    Or does it serve a purpose I'm unaware?
    Well, I'm the furthest thing from an expert on this, but I see that the nearby tooltip suggests there's a purpose for it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Hey,
    I'm actually a client, the techs that use the tricaster, don't know any of this information. It's kind of annoying, we haven't able to live stream to facebook for most of the year 2019.
    We are losing international viewers. Anyway, I followed the instructions given for the work around, and manually typed in the stream key info etc, but that doesn't work.
    The techs using the Tricaster, don't have much knowledge on these work arounds. They are blaming myself for not having a dedicated facebook profile for my company, instead of the page we normally use.

I'm not blaming Newtek for the technicians I have to work with, but waiting for an update for over 2 months as we lose online viewers is ridiculous.
    I have no idea which Tricaster version these techs are using.
    But I'm based in London, any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would advise my boss to avoid tv stations that use the Tricaster system in future.

It would help to know what version they are using.

There is a NewTek knowledge base article on this, with step by step instructions on how to do a custom stream.
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...ality-Impacted

Release notes for software updates list this fix.
    "Updated FaceBook streaming and publishing to work with groups again after a change made by FaceBook."

Currently, VMC1, TC1 and AE3 systems all have this fix.
    http://new.tk/dl
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by mjtfreeze View Post
    Hey,
    I'm actually a client, the techs that use the tricaster, don't know any of this information. It's kind of annoying, we haven't able to live stream to facebook for most of the year 2019.
    We are losing international viewers. Anyway, I followed the instructions given for the work around, and manually typed in the stream key info etc, but that doesn't work.
    That seems odd, while it is inconvenient we have been using the workaround basically since the issue surfaced and doing so successfully. I have even had success with the persistent (or was it "static") key option which a number of people have seemed to have indicated does not work. If the "techs" really don't have the information, mayhaps they need to be a bit more proactive in attempting to do a bit of research when they run into an issue such as this?

Not that it has not caused us some issues since it sounds like there are some similarities between our situations. I'm fairly technical so have been able to deal with the issues of manually entering stream keys and the like, bouncing back and forth between two computers to manage the FaceBook side of the details as well as the TriCaster, but I can not be there all of the time and even though I have left pretty detailed documentation just about no one else who is trying to run the live streams has been able to make it work. So this REALLY does need to be addressed, and MUCH sooner then later!

The really depressing part is that I can see both sides of the issue. I have worked in software development and support for a number of years so I have some insights into the process, and having worked around the sales side enough that I could see immediately see potential issues when AE3 was announced since it is almost inevitable that support for what is now the 'previous' version (AE2) will be de-prioritized and eventually discontinued.

What I would not have expected would be the "perfect storm" of FaceBook making an API change that broke such a prominent feature at the same time as NewTek would be thinking toward winding down support for AE2. This confluence of events just served to expose what was probably already going on 'behind the scenes', where if FaceBook had not made the changes to their API then the winding down of support would have gone largely unnoticed.

And I am sympathetic to the support staff who are put between the "rock and the hard place" in this. Very likely what they are allowed to say is dictated by higher powers and may or may not be an accurate reflection of what is actually going on with regards to getting AE2 updated to address this. Does not mean that I like it, as I very much do not! Responses like "We're waiting on development to finish their review of the new version" while updated versions of most if not ALL of the 'current' products have already been released, and evasive answers to direct questions do not serve anyone in the long run.

Not only because of the issues and inconvenience that it continues to cause us, but it is also personally embarrassing as I was one who recommended that we go with the TriCaster over the numerous other potential options available, largely based on my prior experience with NewTek products (LightWave in particular) since the TriCaster was a fully integrated and flexible solution that would probably be the easiest to bring new operators up to speed on. And indeed it was, up until this issue arose.

True, a patched "beta" of AE2 has been offered to those who wish to request it... But with the same caveat that any beta software comes with. "If it does not work, or blows up, or trashes your production/stream/hardware/etc., you're on your own since you are expected to know the risks going in..." Not exactly a position that is going to give many people the 'warm fuzzies". And still not an acceptable solution for people who are using these systems in an active (&/or live) production environment.

If I sound frustrated, it is because I definitely am!
    James Willing
    Toronto Cowboy Church

TriCaster: 460 with AE + CS
    Camera: Panasonic AG-HMG80P, PTZ Optics PT20X-NDI

Quote Originally Posted by jrwilling View Post
    If I sound frustrated, it is because I definitely am!
    I think your post is pretty reasonable, and I understand it completely. The one point I would dispute is that I've not seen anyone offer "evasive" answers, nor has any higher power (at least, any terrestrial one) moderated anything I or anyone else has written. The problem was addressed in pretty timely fashion as soon as it became apparent, and we've been quite candid about both which versions were 'fixed' and the unfortunate delay of the release of the patched version of AE2. On this point, I do not believe this really reflects any known or suspected issue with the beta version, but rather the typical annual madness that afflicts us every NAB season. On the rest, I've no difficulty agreeing with you.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast