Thread: Community Feedback on TRICASTER Advanced Edition Updates

waymo2001

Community Feedback on TRICASTER Advanced Edition Updates

Greetings All,

I see now there are a few updates since the infamous "TriCaster Advanced Edition 5-1-180706" update from last summer that wreaked havoc here at Glendale TV and other places. We ultimately reverted to the 5-1-180323 update and have been performing well there ever since. Frankly, I am now gun-shy to pursue new updates without some community feedback as to the viability and stability of these updates.

I welcome any comments or feedback on this topic as well as other customer experiences with the most recent TC AE updates.

Thank You,

Wayne E Brenengen, Chief Engineer
    Glendale TV - Home of RugbyTown USA !
    Go Major League Rugby (MLR) RAPTORS !

I just monitor these forums. If a new update has problems, there will be people talking about it here. If no one is reporting problems after a few weeks, then it's probably safe.

I was on 5-1-18032, and waited to update for a while, because of the problems I saw people having with 5-1-180706. I recently jumped from 5-1-180323 to the latest, 5-1-181220, and it went very smoothly.

Generally, I think that's wise. Unless you're having some specific issue that has been resolved in an update, unforeseen bugs of any real consequence have usually been completely killed after a week or two. I've seen a couple of times in my years here where some really pernicious thing took months to track down, but that's almost vanishingly rare.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Good practice is to manually download your updates from Newtek.com, and label and backup those folders appropriately. Then if you for whatever reason don't like/can't use the newly installed version, you have the previous version to reinstall/fall back on. I always have 2, 3, maybe 4 previous versions on hand and only delete the oldest ones I know I'll never need again.

There seems to be a lot of fear/hesitation to do updates and especially RESTORE, but as a dealer with demo machines and customers with varying needs, I am constantly installing updates, rolling back to older updates, even jumping back and forth between SE and AE versions (I do a RESTORE when going back from AE to SE, then install an SE update). Have never had any major issue I couldn't quickly overcome by "going back a step" or worst case, doing a Restore then Update, which is 20-30 minutes of time typically. I did a Restore and Update ON SITE one time, not recommended but out of necessity, and having all the proper files on the drive and not needing to download anything was great and saved the day!

Just make sure you have installers/backups saved for custom transitions, virtual sets, macros and it's not a big deal. Of course, try not to mess with this stuff before a job when you don't have a few days to test or revert as needed.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Good practice is to manually download your updates from Newtek.com, and label and backup those folders appropriately. Then if you for whatever reason don't like/can't use the newly installed version, you have the previous version to reinstall/fall back on. I always have 2, 3, maybe 4 previous versions on hand and only delete the oldest ones I know I'll never need again.

There seems to be a lot of fear/hesitation to do updates and especially RESTORE, but as a dealer with demo machines and customers with varying needs, I am constantly installing updates, rolling back to older updates, even jumping back and forth between SE and AE versions (I do a RESTORE when going back from AE to SE, then install an SE update). Have never had any major issue I couldn't quickly overcome by "going back a step" or worst case, doing a Restore then Update, which is 20-30 minutes of time typically. I did a Restore and Update ON SITE one time, not recommended but out of necessity, and having all the proper files on the drive and not needing to download anything was great and saved the day!

Just make sure you have installers/backups saved for custom transitions, virtual sets, macros and it's not a big deal. Of course, try not to mess with this stuff before a job when you don't have a few days to test or revert as needed.

Thanks

Jeff
    If you are going from a newer update to an older one (not AE to SE, but a newer AE to older AE update), can you just install the older update over top the newer one? You don't have to restore first?

Actually not 100% sure now. Try it, but be ready for Restore if that doesn't work. If you have to Restore, that's another 10 minutes, no biggy
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

waymo2001
    Greetings All, I really appreciate all your comments and feedback. Very helpful and food for thought to be sure...

Wayne