Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No luck installing AE v.3...

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar

No luck installing AE v.3...

I have a TriCaster 855 that was updated to an 860, and was running AE v.2.

I bought the AE v.3 upgrade, but can't seem to run the installer. It says the build might not be compatible since it requires AVX instructions, CUDA v10, and nVidia Hardware decode/encode support. The system has the i7-2600 (Sandy Bridge) that does support the AVX instruction set, a 560ti GPU, and I directly installed CUDA v10.

Any thought on what I need to do? I'm very comfortable working with hardware on the TriCaster, so open to updating the CPU, GPU, etc.

We support folks that are interested in doing the AE v.3 upgrade, and need to be able to create custom sessions for them, do training videos for working with our products, and general phone/tech support. We also have a TC-1 so this is less about having the functionality itself and more around having a reference support/development system for AE v.3.

Thanks in advance - any suggestions welcome.

Best,
    john
    Last edited by jmmultex; 01-30-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

There is a compatibility tool that you can run to test before you even use the installer. You might have to update the GPU drivers.

I don't have a list of what is compatible and what isn't, but if I had to guess, systems that started as 455/855 are probably tool old. I've got a Mini SDI and TC460 that are some of the first units made of these series models and they took the AE3 upgrade.

The TC460 I have it installed on is running an Intel i7-4790 CPU and nVidia GeForce GT 640 with 2GB of RAM. I'm not sure, but it might also want AVX2 instructions on the CPU.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-30-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. Is it possible to upgrade the motherboard and video card in my system to make it compatible? I have x299 components and 1050ti GPU's on hand that I could replace it with, then hook everything else back up on the TriCaster specific end of the hardware. If that wouldn't work, there is a specific motherboard vendor/model I'd need (in addition to the associated CPU/GPU) to become a true '860' hardware system?

I am so far out of warranty on this that I fine making these kind of changes.

Thanks,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

Knaep,

Can you list what features I would get if upgraded to AE3 with our 460 which has AE2 installed. The list of features on the website does not list what we would be getting for our 460.

Tks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jmmultex View Post
    Thanks Kane. Is it possible to upgrade the motherboard and video card in my system to make it compatible? I have x299 components and 1050ti GPU's on hand that I could replace it with, then hook everything else back up on the TriCaster specific end of the hardware. If that wouldn't work, there is a specific motherboard vendor/model I'd need (in addition to the associated CPU/GPU) to become a true '860' hardware system?

Thanks,
    John
    For manually upgrading the motherboard and other components, I don't know. I don't have a TC860 system to look at to see what was used in that configuration, the highest system I have for that 'age' is a TC460.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jkerry211 View Post
    Knaep,

Can you list what features I would get if upgraded to AE3 with our 460 which has AE2 installed. The list of features on the website does not list what we would be getting for our 460.

Tks,
    Jeff
    This page has a listing of all features, anything with 'New' next to the feature name is something you will find in AE3 that isn't in AE2.
    https://www.newtek.com/tricaster/adv...tion/in-depth/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks,
    John
    Upgradeing the GPU should work (I've done this on several systems. It's on your own risk. Not Newtek approved).

The motherboard, CPU and memory is a different story. I believe your license is connected to the montherboard, so changing that would require a new S/N from NewTek.

Thanks Guys. The biggest issue I'll need to deal with is probably something Kane mentioned - that AEv.3 likely requires processor support for AVX2 instructions. Since the CPU in my system is SandyBridge and the one Kane has is Haswell, this can't be resolved without a full motherboard replacement - the CPU sockets between the two aren't compatible. I'm not a fan of hacking systems that I use for business, but really just want to bring this one up to the full '860' or '8000' hardware spec if its possible.

I'll do some more research and report back.
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:

I have a TriCaster 855 that was updated to an 860, and was running AE v.2.

I bought the AE v.3 upgrade, but can't seem to run the installer. It says the build might not be compatible since it requires AVX instructions, CUDA v10, and nVidia Hardware decode/encode support. The system has the i7-2600 (Sandy Bridge) that does support the AVX instruction set, a 560ti GPU, and I directly installed CUDA v10.

Any thought on what I need to do? I'm very comfortable working with hardware on the TriCaster, so open to updating the CPU, GPU, etc.

We support folks that are interested in doing the AE v.3 upgrade, and need to be able to create custom sessions for them, do training videos for working with our products, and general phone/tech support. We also have a TC-1 so this is less about having the functionality itself and more around having a reference support/development system for AE v.3.

Thanks in advance - any suggestions welcome.

Best,
    john

I own a Tricaster 460 that was upgraded from a 455. I have been looking into compatibility issues with AE3 also. Looks like the i7-2600 processor only has the AVX extension set but not AVX2. I think the whole motherboard and CPU would have to be changed out. So in reality AE3 is not compatible with all of the Pro-Line.

Marty Davis
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    I own a Tricaster 460 that was upgraded from a 455. I have been looking into compatibility issues with AE3 also. Looks like the i7-2600 processor only has the AVX extension set but not AVX2. I think the whole motherboard and CPU would have to be changed out. So in reality AE3 is not compatible with all of the Pro-Line.

Marty Davis
    I believe the compatible models are all Mini, TC410, TC460, TC860 systems that started as these models. TC455/855 that were upgraded to 460/860 and some of the first TC8000 systems are probably too old.

I do not know all of the combinations, you have to run the compatibility checker to be sure. I expect that the majority of ProLine systems will accept this upgrade. Any system that isn't compatible is probably 5 years old or more and had access to a lot of upgrades over it's lifespan. The ability to trade these systems in for a new TC1 unit is available, which would get you on the newest platform.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

As a point of reference. A 455, upgraded to a 460 running the NVIDIA 640GT with the i7 2600k took the upgrade successfully. Not providing to say that it "will" work, just that it did in our case.

Quote Originally Posted by jkcw0897 View Post
    As a point of reference. A 455, upgraded to a 460 running the NVIDIA 640GT with the i7 2600k took the upgrade successfully. Not providing to say that it "will" work, just that it did in our case.
    That's good news. It may be that I need to upgrade the video driver to the 417. I think Kane said that's the one he has used and it worked. I only upgraded to the 399.24. I will do that and run the compatibility checker again.

Thanks,
    Marty Davis
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    That's good news. It may be that I need to upgrade the video driver to the 417. I think Kane said that's the one he has used and it worked. I only upgraded to the 399.24. I will do that and run the compatibility checker again.
    You'll need to be upgrading from AE2 not just directly from standard edition.

In many cases, as Moshe suggested in another thread, the limiting factor will be that the TCXD system has a rather outdated graphics card. Updating it to something newer would not be a great problem in most cases, nor very expensive.

Again, in most cases, the affected systems are already off-warranty, so breaching the case is not going to trigger a warranty problem, but of course the usual caveats apply re: your level of comfort with this kind of work, your technical skills, risk of death by misadventure, attack of the dust-balls, etc., etc.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by jkcw0897 View Post
    You'll need to be upgrading from AE2 not just directly from standard edition.
    No, I think you can upgrade from Standard Edition to AE3 if you purchase AE3-Upgrade for $995 while it's onsale. If you have AE2 you can purchase the AE3 Update for $495 right now.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

I just did this with our demo TC Mini Standard Edition directly to Advanced 3.0
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast