Thread: Muting Channels of Audio

Muting Channels of Audio

Does the TC1/Tricaster Advanced Edition allow you to mute channels of audio for an input? For example, if I wanted to mute channels 2, 3, and 4 on input 1 audio, is there a mute button for those channels? In the videos I've seen, there doesn't appear to be a mute button. Do you just drag the sliders down for those channels to mute them?

Also, can you have the same audio source on multiple inputs? For example, could you have an audio source on Input 1 with everything muted except channel 1 and have the exact same source on Input 2 with everything muted except channel 2 of that source?

Thanks!

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    In the videos do you see the speaker icon underneath the name of the input? That's the Mute button. As far as your other question goes it absolutely possible to do so.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    In the videos do you see the speaker icon underneath the name of the input? That's the Mute button. As far as your other question goes it absolutely possible to do so.
    I do see that speaker icon under the input. What I am referring to is muting channels for the input. I have attached a screenshot from the TC1 manual. There doesn't appears to be a mute button, so do you just lower the fader for the channels that you don't want in that input? I noticed the bottom of the fader says -60 but I wanted to make sure that would be the same as muting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newtek.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	143993
    Last edited by TheMissingLink2; 01-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.

I treat that the same as muting. I have yet to have anything sneak through when the channel is set all the way down to -60 on my TC1

I think you're on the wrong track with muting - rather, you should learn how the 4x4 Matrix Audio Routing works and there you will have an elegant and powerful solution.

You can "mute" individual channels by unchecking the box in the matrix, or route that IN channel to a different OUT channel or mix just by checking appropriate boxes in the matrix.

Did you have the similar Facebook post last night? If for instance you have a mono input so audio is just on the L channel, and you want it on both L and R on output, in the matrix you just route IN 1 to both OUT 1 and OUT 2, no balance knobs or anything to deal with, very straightforward once you grasp the concept.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingLink2 View Post
    I noticed the bottom of the fader says -60 but I wanted to make sure that would be the same as muting.
    Good catch. Actually, that is a mistake, and there is an open bug case to change the label to "-inf".
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    I treat that the same as muting. I have yet to have anything sneak through when the channel is set all the way down to -60 on my TC1
    I figured that was the case, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Good catch. Actually, that is a mistake, and there is an open bug case to change the label to "-inf".
    Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I think you're on the wrong track with muting - rather, you should learn how the 4x4 Matrix Audio Routing works and there you will have an elegant and powerful solution.

You can "mute" individual channels by unchecking the box in the matrix, or route that IN channel to a different OUT channel or mix just by checking appropriate boxes in the matrix.

Did you have the similar Facebook post last night? If for instance you have a mono input so audio is just on the L channel, and you want it on both L and R on output, in the matrix you just route IN 1 to both OUT 1 and OUT 2, no balance knobs or anything to deal with, very straightforward once you grasp the concept.

Thanks

Jeff
    Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I never even thought about doing it that way.