Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 2015

Upgrade to 2015

Anybody know how I can upgrade from my ancient copy of Lightwave to LW2015? I only see links on the site for LW2019, which I don't want. I called the sales number and was put on eternal hold.

I don't think that is possible. You can only upgrade to the current release which is LW2019.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

It might be easier to find someone who has a copy of 2015 they don't want any more.

IMO, when someone pays for a LW2019 upgrade they should receive an implied upgrade / installation of LW2015.

For anyone (like myself) who is not enamored with the "Brave New World" of Physics Based Rendering, the massive elimination of functionality (that I used ALL the time), bizarre (IMO) implementation of specularity, fireflies in the render, extremely time-consuming learning curves, etc., I think they should automatically get the *option* of installing and using LW2015 (including pointers to the kit, license and content on their Lightwave3D.com account page) to continue and leverage their long-acquired knowledge of "old school" LW techniques as an option as part of their LW2019 upgrade.

I certainly intend on keeping LW2015 installed forever and be dragged into the PBR world at *my* convenience!

As always, just my 2 cents worth!

mTp

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    I certainly intend on keeping LW2015 installed forever and be dragged into the PBR world at *my* convenience!

mTp
    I thought I was the only one who felt that way. For me it puts me in a situation where I need to learn a bunch of new stuff in order to keep using what I have now.

I also have to say that when I talk to potential clients about doing work for them the reaction to "I use Lightwave" is NOT positive. If I have to learn new software is my time really best spent on something I'm having a hard time selling, or should I jump ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
    I thought I was the only one who felt that way. For me it puts me in a situation where I need to learn a bunch of new stuff in order to keep using what I have now.
    How much you will need to learn about 2019 is really dependent on how much you already know about Lightwave as a whole.

I upgraded at work from Lightwave 9.3 straight to 2018. I was already using nodes for surfacing in my work, and two other 3d programs I use are fully PBR-based, so I already understood the basics of PBR materials.

It wasn't such a huge learning curve to get fantastic results right out of the box. I can honestly tell you that the overall quality of my renders improved with fewer hoops to jump through; it took less time from model to surface to render than it ever did in LW 9.3.

But like I said; there are tons of sources you can purchase a full copy or upgrade of LW2015 from (quick Google search), if that is the direction you want to go in.

I also have to say that when I talk to potential clients about doing work for them the reaction to "I use Lightwave" is NOT positive. If I have to learn new software is my time really best spent on something I'm having a hard time selling, or should I jump ship?
    That's something only you can decide.

If you only have experience with Lightwave and no real practical experience with any of the other major 3d applications, then you should expect to spend a considerable amount of time learning as opposed to working. IMO, far more time than you would simply diving into LW2019.

In addition, be aware that the majority of the major 3d applications on the market today are PBR-based. So at a minimum, whether you stay with Lightwave or move to another 3d application, you should learn the basics of PBR materials and lighting.

However, if you have previous experience with another major software application, moving to it and investing in it may worth considering if you think it will improve your marketability.

Only you can decide what the trade-offs are and if the time investment is worth it.

I suppose it's similar to other software venders, you can usually only purchase the current version.

At the same time I do sympathise with you, I do go back to 2015 quite a lot (during the 2018 cycle especially, I was stuck in my ways with surfacing).
    I really need to move on though and try and persist with 2019 as my main build.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

there is no sanctuary....
    Try calling back and asking if they’ll give access to 2015 as a bridge if you pay for an upgrade. Don’t know if they will, but why not. 2019 is certainly worth the learning curve though.

Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

C Chaos, if you get 11.6.3 working, DO NOT upgrade to Mojave.
    There is a graphical bug that was fixed in LW2018 and above, and presumably the bug is still present in any older version of LW.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Getting 2015 was a flat "No" and I've never used nodes. I'm not opposed in principle to learning new stuff but I'm in the middle of a series of illustrations that all have to match. I'm also not looking forward to another assault on Lightwave's vertical learning curve.

IMO, when someone pays for a LW2019 upgrade they should receive an implied upgrade / installation of LW2015.
    The problem with that is support. At some point NT just needs to drop it. Maybe if it's included with an "use at your own peril" clause then that might suffice.

For anyone (like myself) who is not enamored with the "Brave New World" of Physics Based Rendering, the massive elimination of functionality (that I used ALL the time), bizarre (IMO) implementation of specularity, fireflies in the render, extremely time-consuming learning curves, etc.,
    Fireflies have all but been eliminated in 2019 thanks to NT listening to it's users. I personally will never touch LW2015 again. It's really not that hard to learn the new system, besides it really doesn't matter what you dial into the settings, they all look good. Just kidding of course, but it is so much easier to get nicer looking surfaces and they look great in all lighting conditions.

I think they should automatically get the *option* of installing and using LW2015 (including pointers to the kit, license and content on their Lightwave3D.com account page) to continue and leverage their long-acquired knowledge of "old school" LW techniques as an option as part of their LW2019 upgrade.
    Yes I think that might have been a nice thing to do with the 2018 release, but that's old news now.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I also have to say that when I talk to potential clients about doing work for them the reaction to "I use Lightwave" is NOT positive.
    Why would you even mention that? If they want the files when you are done and you negotiated that in the contract, just inform them that they will get FBX files. If they ask what software you use just tell them you use the latest technology available. Most clients aren't the brightest anyways - if they were they wouldn't be asking for your help.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

LW Watcher
    Here's a radical idea - they could offer an upgrade to LW2015 for $195 for people who have older versions of LW on the basis that it's no longer in development and that it's sold as-is. If someone then wants to upgrade to LW2019 they could do so for the difference in cost.

This would encourage a lot of people who have older LW versions to get back towards the modern LW world and not have to worry about shelling out $395 in one go.

Newtek picks up a bundle of cash and possibly a further injection of secondary upgrades if it kickstarts LW activity again.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Here's a radical idea - they could offer an upgrade to LW2015 for $195 for people who have older versions of LW on the basis that it's no longer in development and that it's sold as-is. If someone then wants to upgrade to LW2019 they could do so for the difference in cost.

This would encourage a lot of people who have older LW versions to get back towards the modern LW world and not have to worry about shelling out $395 in one go.

Newtek picks up a bundle of cash and possibly a further injection of secondary upgrades if it kickstarts LW activity again.
    Yeah a little too radical. I don't understand why people just wouldn't want the latest. It's better. It's not hard to learn the new stuff and if you don't want to use the nodes to surface you don't have to.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

LW 2015 while it's the last release with the old render engine. I find it to be very unstable and glitchy compared to newer releases like 2018 and 2019.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast