Thread: Xbox into TC1

Xbox into TC1

In the past I've gotten gaming consoles into our Tricaster 40 v1 and 460 AE by using an HMDI Splitter with one output going into a splitter and one end going into an HDMI to Component Converter and I'd set the Source to 720/30p (Compoent). That worked very well.

Now I'm doing work with someone who just purchased a TC1. We put it though the HDMI Splitter one end goes to the Monitor and the console shows up there. The other end goes to a Blackmagic Design Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI. The SDI goes into the TC1. I cannot get the console to show up in the TC1. Does anyone have any ideas. They do not want to go through OBS using NDI, one of the reasons that they brought the TC1 is because they were able to get the system directly into our Tricaster 460AE.

Would prefer not using a connect spark as that's another $500, when on my 460AE, it's a $75 solution.

Thanks
    Last edited by Stream; 01-28-2019 at 06:55 AM.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    In the past I've gotten gaming consoles into our Tricaster 40 v1 and 460 AE by using an HMDI Splitter with one output going into a splitter and one end going into an HDMI to Component Converter and I'd set the Source to 720/30p (Compoent). That worked very well.

Now I'm doing work with someone who just purchased a TC1. We put it though the HDMI Splitter one end goes to the Monitor and the console shows up there. The other end goes to a Blackmagic Design Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI. The SDI goes into the TC1. I cannot get the console to show up in the TC1. Does anyone have any ideas. They do not want to go through OBS using NDI, one of the reasons that they brought the TC1 is because they were able to get the system directly into our Tricaster 460AE.

Would prefer not using a connect spark as that's another $500, when on my 460AE, it's a $75 solution.

Thanks
    What video format is the XBox set to?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane, I knew I could count on you.
    I had that thought, also I just found out that the Xbox will turn on HDCP
    depending on what power mode you have it set to. So I have a few things to check.

Thanks

I've never had luck getting a game console into a TriCaster device without defeating HDCP first, which makes sense. Strip that and you're generally good to go!
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

I'm going out this weekend to make it work. Sucks that it's an hour away, but I have a production starting out there in a week. Wish me luck!

When I do game events I got some HDMI Spliters and put one end to a TV that the people could play the console off of free of latency from the productions stack. The other end would then either go HDMI into a capture card or I would use a Decimator to get it into SDI or a Birddog to NDI. Was smooth sailing after that. I did a couple bigger e-sport style game release broadcasts and the pro players were thrown off when they looked at the production feed due to the the extra lag introduced by the mixing etc. It was only a couple frames but it was enough to throw off all their timing. Once they knew to look at the smaller monitors all was well.

Yeah, we go through a spliter to a monitor. We do a lot of online tournaments, so the gameplay is coming over the intenet and into the xbox.
    when we're doing events we get the game feeds through NDI.
    I had to change the resolution of the xbox to 720 to get the TC1 to see it.
    I'm think of getting a decimator and see if that will let the xbox come in as 1080

If you are in the Orlando area I have 3 of them and maybe able to help test that.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    When I do game events I got some HDMI Spliters and put one end to a TV that the people could play the console off of free of latency from the productions stack. The other end would then either go HDMI into a capture card or I would use a Decimator to get it into SDI or a Birddog to NDI. Was smooth sailing after that. I did a couple bigger e-sport style game release broadcasts and the pro players were thrown off when they looked at the production feed due to the the extra lag introduced by the mixing etc. It was only a couple frames but it was enough to throw off all their timing. Once they knew to look at the smaller monitors all was well.
    Why not use the Decimator HDMI out to the local monitor for the gamer? I don't think if set to HDMI input, has any noticeable latency. I use it in this manner but for laptop presentations that need to pass through to projection/LED wall.
    As a FYI, I am going to start using Connect Spark to do the same thing the Decimator is doing but giving me an NDI output albeit NDI/HX but I am pretty sure for corporate presentation, it is sufficient but I also plan to do a E-Sport test to see how well it works.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I do not believe the Decimator deals with HDCP. The little HDMI spliter I got off amazon however doesn't seem to mind. When I am dealing with Laptops and power points I only use the Decimator.

I also have been meaning to test my Birddog Studio to take HDMI in from a customer laptop, NDI to switcher, hdmi pass-through to projector. My only concern has been that I have had a few camera HDMI outputs not show up to birddog. I haven't been able to try the latest firmware but the birddog seems to really prefer SDI in my experience.
    Last edited by stp_productions; 02-07-2019 at 08:51 AM.

In the Xbox you need to turn off 'Instant On' to shut off the HDCP.

We're bidding a gig in March where they'll be sending us game feeds with birddogs, so we'll see if we get the gig.

We're bidding a gig in March where they'll be sending us game feeds with birddogs, so we'll see if we get the gig.
    Interesting, I'll have to give that a shot but I have given up on so many devices and use the HDMI splitter to guarantee my banishment of hdcp.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar

Good luck
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

We use a Black Magic HDMI/SDI mini converter. It was all about the proper setting in the xbox. I want to try a Decimator to see if it will let the xbox into the TC1 at 1080. Right now the TC1 will only take it at 720.