Thread: Studio Monitor PTZ control has stopped working

Studio Monitor PTZ control has stopped working

My church recently purchased an NDI PTZ1 and I have been pretty pleased with it. However, a couple weeks ago, the Studio Monitor PTZ control stopped working. It stopped after I first started controlling the PTZ over VISCA, so I assumed it couldn't do NDI and VISCA at the same time. I know that is not the case though, because (A) I can still control over NDI from the web interface, and (B) unplugging the VISCA cable doesn't make the Studio Monitor control work.

I would check to see if it can work from another computer, but unfortunately OSX Video Monitor isn't recognizing that the camera is on the network (my only handy option right now is a Macbook). I haven't bothered to take my Windows desktop up to church yet to test it out. I will be taking a joystick up there this afternoon to see if it's only the UI that doesn't work, or the PTZ functionality altogether.

Does anyone have any idea on either what might be causing this issue or how to fix it?

It's possible that a Windows update messed it up, but I don't recall it stopping after an update-- I believe it stopped in the middle of my work session, right after plugging in the VISCA cable. (I could be wrong about this, though-- it was a couple weeks ago)

Basic specs, in case it's relevant--
    OS: Windows 10 Pro (I can get the build next time I'm up at the building, if that's relevant)
    CPU: i5-2500K
    RAM: 8 GB
    Camera Firmware: VHR116n

The computer is less powerful than I would like it to be, but it works...... and "underpoweredness" shouldn't suddenly cause the PTZ control to stop working.
    Last edited by zarahemlavideo; 01-26-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fix firmware version

UPDATE:
    - The firmware is actually on version VHR116n (post has been updated accordingly).
    - Joystick (Logitech 3D Extreme Pro) does not change anything-- the joystick inputs are reflected in the UI (with the blue dots), but no movement happens at the camera.
    - Tested with my personal desktop... doesn't work on that computer either-- so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the specific device running Studio Monitor.
    - Reinstalling Studio Monitor doesn't fix the problem.
    - Factory resetting the camera doesn't fix the problem.
    Last edited by zarahemlavideo; 01-26-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added note about factory reset

If you are controlling the camera via serial on VISCA, did you change the ID selection on the bottom of the PTZ1 camera? It must be set to zero for IP control.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    If you are controlling the camera via serial on VISCA, did you change the ID selection on the bottom of the PTZ1 camera? It must be set to zero for IP control.
    That'd do it right there. I manually set the camera address to non-zero. Thank you very much!

(just for the sake of thorough reading, is that documented anywhere? I've struggled to find much documentation on the camera, aside from what's in the PTZ1 user manual)

There is a knowledge base article on it.
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...witch-and-Dial
    Last edited by kanep; 01-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Then again, it's not documented to change it off of zero either.
    Heheh fair enough..... and to be fair, most people aren't still running a circa-2008 Studio where it's even an issue. Hooray for upcoming upgrades!