Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Interior

New Interior

Hi,

Here is one older model of mine - Interior shoot of a CAR (did you expected Arch-viz interior maybe ??

It's subDs modeling work with lot of geometry (just speaker grilles in total have 1.2 million polys, all the button stickers/labels are also geometry, stitching on steering wheel and similar are also geometry so there is very little of texturing (except leather and fabric materials of course). I used LW Modeler (version 11-11.5), RizomUV (for UVs/unwrapping), Substance for materials, Octane for rendering and PS/AE combo for final touches (very little post and DOF is in camera also).

My goal was to be like those studio photo shooting sets when they put car in mostly white/black room to take photos but this time form inside, hence interior name in Subject .

There is few more shoots (and in 5K*2K resolution if you open as RMB/new window) on my WEB here:
    http://ram-studio.hr/portfolio/acura/

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acura_MDX_resize_009.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	143959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acura_MDX_resize_006.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	143960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acura_MDX_resize_001.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	716.0 KB 
ID:	143961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acura_MDX_resize_012.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	685.3 KB 
ID:	143962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acura_MDX_resize_002.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	869.9 KB 
ID:	143963  

RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Great materials. The smooth, light gray, plastic in image 4 around the tachometer and air vent, are the only ones that don't feel photo-real to me. Maybe I'm just expecting more roughness, or some breakup in the uniformity, like faint smudges or something. Otherwise I think I'm looking at a studio shoot. Fantastic stuff!

excellent. yeah I would agree on plastic around air vent and the steering column.
    I would expect less roughness there tbh.

you do any post on this? and are you still using lwm for this type of work?

Nice stuff Lewis. Working my way through one of your car tutorials but had to put it on hold for awhile. Really good tidbits on workflow though that apply anywhere. I know yiour passion is cars, but curious if your've ever done any aricraft?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Hi guys, Thanks for comments

As for plastic around tacho, trust me it is very smooth and not rough like some other parts (i have 2.2 GB of photos from real car ) - http://prntscr.com/mce8ew , there is 6-7 different plastic colors/roughness types on this car.
    as for the post there is just very slight post some exposure and levels on few but it's 99% like that already out of Octane.

Ma3rk - yes i've done some Aeroplanes too like Boeing 747 and similar stuff, just never rendered for my portfolio (yet).

Here is few wires from Modeler.

Name:	Screengrab_002.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	143964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screengrab_003.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	143965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screengrab_006.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	143966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screengrab_009.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	143967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screengrab_010.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	143968  

RAM-Studio

Look spot on to me! The amount of effort modelling these always amazes me.
    If you ever do a new sub-d modelling workflow tutorial, I'd be very interested. I don't actually know what your workflows are for doing subd text and then getting it into place like you do. I'd love to know how you actually do it, and what tools you use.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks lardbros.

Inseting subDs text is a procedure of modeling a text first as FLAT subDs shape but lowest possible polycount (but still keeping text lines properly) and then heatshrinking it onto actual background geometry and then delete surrounding polys and make new ones to weld correctly for subDs. It take some time but it works eventually, you just need to plan for enough detail at start, that's why some areas have bigger density around letters. and yeah it's always PITA to do it on curvy surfaces since our Heathsrink do not take into account actual subDs curvature when Heatshrinking so i do heatshrink on to 2 level freezed geometry first which i later delete.
    RAM-Studio

TrueArt Support
    Tell us better how long you spend on such project. How many hours/days/weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Thanks lardbros.

Inseting subDs text is a procedure of modeling a text first as FLAT subDs shape but lowest possible polycount (but still keeping text lines properly) and then heatshrinking it onto actual background geometry and then delete surrounding polys and make new ones to weld correctly for subDs. It take some time but it works eventually, you just need to plan for enough detail at start, that's why some areas have bigger density around letters. and yeah it's always PITA to do it on curvy surfaces since our Heathsrink do not take into account actual subDs curvature when Heatshrinking so i do heatshrink on to 2 level freezed geometry first which i later delete.
    So you use the built in heatshrink? Not the 3rd powers tool that's similar (but I forget it's name).

Sounds laborious, and most applications would struggle with that kind of modelling, it's generally quite tricky to do.
    Do you Retopo from scanned data to do them, or just go "by eye"?

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Yes using build in Heat-shrink, behaves better in this strict areas than 3rd powers one which is better for wrapping around stuff. I usually need only one axis stick for this. Yes it is tedious work but at end it's nice to see what you did .

I do this subDs from scan data, BUT that is nothing like CAD data, it has main shapes decent ('coz scan arm is big so it can't reach all the parts of car which is tight inside unlike outside where you have all the space you need ) but no buttons, inprints, you just get big shapes where Faro arm can reach (which is also done manually point by point click ) to outline size/position of those parts like vents, displays, buttons, text, dials (nothing behind glass can be scanned) and tons of photos...

I takes me 150-200 hours for modeling such thing depending of type of car/equipment and how many row of seats is there.

Here is example of similar "Scan Data" from my old Engine model (from 2008)

Name:	Scan-vs-Final2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	143973  
    Last edited by Lewis; 01-27-2019 at 05:07 AM.
    RAM-Studio

Cool... Just interesting to know the technique.
    We get scan data sometimes from faro arm type scanners, and use 3dcoat to Retopo and UV etc.
    The data can be pretty heavy, and as you say, missing bits, especially in tight spaces.

That seems good value to me, for your customer anyway... 150-200hrs seems fast for this level of detail and nice clean sub-ds etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

A.K.A "The Silver Fox" Gungho3D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hi,

Here is one older model of mine - Interior shoot of a CAR (did you expected Arch-viz interior maybe ??

It's subDs modeling work with lot of geometry (just speaker grilles in total have 1.2 million polys, all the button stickers/labels are also geometry, stitching on steering wheel and similar are also geometry so there is very little of texturing (except leather and fabric materials of course). I used LW Modeler (version 11-11.5), RizomUV (for UVs/unwrapping), Substance for materials, Octane for rendering and PS/AE combo for final touches (very little post and DOF is in camera also).

My goal was to be like those studio photo shooting sets when they put car in mostly white/black room to take photos but this time form inside, hence interior name in Subject .

There is few more shoots (and in 5K*2K resolution if you open as RMB/new window) on my WEB here:
    http://ram-studio.hr/portfolio/acura/

cheers
    Lewis, absolutely stunning work, mastery at many levels

Brilliant work!
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Lewis, you rock and you know it!!! Well done.
    Ground control to Major Tom

These are sick man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast