Thread: Not able to connect to PTZ Camera

Not able to connect to PTZ Camera

I bought a Newtek PTZ camera and trying to connect it to our TC1. The instruction manual says it is on 192.168.1.22 but I can't ping that IP address. I've tried it with a router and without. I've also tried to get it with a laptop using NDI Access Monitor and Studio Monitor. Last Resort I figured I could use the SDI output and that doesn't work either.

The last PTZ camera was easy to setup. The network recognized it and it came up on the input population. When selected it showed a picture and was able to be controlled by the PTZ select. Not the case with the new one. Any suggestions. I've messed with it for hours. Even if I use the SDI output and aim the remote at it to do pan / tilt I'm fine with that for now. The remote works but not any other video functions.

Going from memory, I thought the camera address was 192.168.100.168 but I could be wrong. When connecting to a network, normally DHCP just works and camera immediately shows up. If connected direct to TriCaster or PC and no DHCP available, then camera defaults back to fixed IP.

Please note that you should install the NDI-HX drivers on the TC1. Possibly they are part of the TC1 software install now, but to be safe manually install NDI-HX driver available here: https://www.newtek.com/ndihx/products/ptz1/

What concerns me is you saying there is no SDI output, that should always be live. Check the DIP switches on PTZ1 and see what video output format is selected, might need to change that?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Hi Jeff- You are correct the IP Address is not the same as the one in the manual. When I used the one you provided - it worked hooked into my laptop. That is a step closer. The dip switches probably change up the SDI. I left all the dip switches in the UP position for the output switch(The config it was set to out of box). I'm doing 1080i.

Now that we have that I will introduce it to the production tomorrow. We are mid-way thru the day so I can't now... Will give an update in the morn. thanks for the IP info.

Quote Originally Posted by lvsoule View Post
    The instruction manual says it is on 192.168.1.22 but I can't ping that IP address.
    I don't believe this is correct. There is a screenshot that shows that address, but that just happens to be the address the camera connected atm was assigned by DHCP. The manual provides the default IP address in the section on Network Settings.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve,

Ha - you are correct the manual does have the correct IP. The screenshot I looked at is above the networking session so I didn't continue. The first one was so slick to setup... so I'm not sure why this second one isn't behaving the same. I've been able to ping it now and will work tonight to get it into the mix.

thanks
    -Larry

You should be able to just make sure DHCP is enabled, then power down, reconnect, and let Studio Monitor find it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You should be able to just make sure DHCP is enabled, then power down, reconnect, and let Studio Monitor find it.
    Hi Steve,

We ended up just adding all the computers and assigning everything a 192.168.100 subnet address. It works great. The router may not be assigning correctly on DHCP. Will mess with after the gig, but since it is working well, I'm not going to change anything at this point.

The PTZ is great for setting up a shot. However it's not great for being a live camera if you need to move it. I think something is wrong with our toggle on the TC1 panel - even when you stop zooming, it continues to zoom. It's also is a little slow to respond, while controlling- enough to not trust it as live. It's perfect for setting shot for different heights of participants that go to the mic.

One thing I would like to learn is how to set destination points on a launch pad - so we can just push a button and it automatically pans/tilts and zooms to a pre-determined place.

One thing the older PTZ camera did is it would 'Catch Up' for a moment and show the last couple seconds at very fast speed in the switcher. So I learned to always put it on the preview first to let it do this and then take it live. I don't like that in case you are looking for a crowd reaction. Putting it in Preview first and taking it is typically too delayed to get a timely one. The new PTZ does not behave so that is a bonus.

Pretty happy with this camera. It serves the purposes our production needs.

-Larry

"One thing I would like to learn is how to set destination points on a launch pad - so we can just push a button and it automatically pans/tilts and zooms to a pre-determined place. "

Hi Larry,

So you have 16 PTZ presets per camera in the user interface, and any or all of those can be tied to custom macros and assigned to buttons of your choice on Control Surface, Keyboard, MIDI panel, etc.

Just create NEW MACRO, start RECORD of macro, then press desired PTZ preset, then stop recording, then assign that macro to a button.

Now you can recall the desired PTZ preset with a keypress, no mouse.

Macros are fun. As part of your preset macro, you might tell TriCaster to first SWITCH PROGRAM TO WIDE CAMERA SOURCE, execute the PTZ preset (move camera, which takes 1-2 seconds), then SWITCH BACK TO PTZ source.

So, any time you hit a PTZ preset macro button, automatically cuts to wide safety shot, moves PTZ camera, then switches back to PTZ. Just one possible scenario, for instance if PTZ cam is "main" camera and you just set up a second camera as wide shot/cutaway.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1