Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allegorithmic joins forces with Adobe....

Allegorithmic joins forces with Adobe....

And after yesterdays great news of LW release comes the bad....
    https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/a...g-adobe-family

But don't worry because "When it comes to licensing, nothing changes for now"......
    Just Blender, 4D, Carrara and Lightwave holding the line now (and what a fine motley crew it is).

The full note about licensing:

"When it comes to licensing, nothing changes for now. Your current licenses will
    continue running and getting updates. As we join the Adobe family, we will also
    unveil new and more flexible subscription offers in the coming months. We will share
    more details about these new and exciting licensing options at a later date."

They also say they are joining the Adobe family. I take this to mean they're being acquired by Adobe, which spells doom IMO.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Yes, bad news. "Nothing changes for now" means nothing, because now becomes history as soon as it's now.
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    The full note about licensing:

"When it comes to licensing, nothing changes for now. Your current licenses will
    continue running and getting updates. As we join the Adobe family, we will also
    unveil new and more flexible subscription offers in the coming months. We will share
    more details about these new and exciting licensing options at a later date."

They also say they are joining the Adobe family. I take this to mean they're being acquired by Adobe, which spells doom IMO.
    I'll say it depends on how forceful and dynamic the (former?) CEO of Allegorithmic is in the face of the overwhelming corporate structure of Adobe. However, to be sure... I've seen those PR Fluff statements of "we're here to stay!" before. Not to be a naysayer but usually those words mean the opposite of what they want you to think.

On the other hand, mixamo.com is still around (I thought Adobe would have deleted that server awhile ago) so maybe..?

I just can't see Adobe upper management understanding why Photoshop would be competing against a product that has similar functionality when "all they have to do" is put the 3D engine inside Photoshop to replace the awful implementation they currently have... note: as artists and technologists we know that such a transplant of code isn't easy.. but corporate VP's love to enact Edicts And Proclamations with no analysis of practicality. "Get It Done" as if that was a magical incantation.

My prediction is in a year or so that the substance products are halted in favor of an overhaul of Photoshop's 3D feature set, with likely integration into Dimension to make that a more full featured product. The problem is, they're probably going to hamstring all the export options.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Oh no. No no no no no. Not good. Sigh.

*edit* just checked the news on their forums, and almost every user agrees this is a very, very bad thing. Some can't believe what is happening. Neither can I.
    Last edited by Rayek; 01-23-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Hmmmm... well... that's... very surprising.

It's not innately a bad thing... but it definitely has the potential to go bad very quickly.

Yep, awful news. Happy to have perpetual licences for painter and designer, but won't go the subscription route. I still have 3D coat as an alternative, especially with Oliver's new app link...

I'm already on subs with Allegorithmic so subs isn't the concern. It's whether adobe will maintain all of the allegro staff and maintain innovation at near the same cost as its being done for now which I'm doubting very much.

Sad news indeed.
    At least it not's Autodesk...............
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

My spur of the moment view is shaping up to $cr£W 'em all (yes including you Octane ) - my hunch is best thing to do upgrade to LW2019, learn the texturing and rendering backwards and sideways, and prepare for doomsday with a load of Threadripper CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Sad news indeed.
    At least it not's Autodesk...............
    Arguably Autodesk would have been a better proposition, compared.

PS interestingly enough this announcement has just pushed the Blender development fund past the 28.000 USD mark. 2019 stretch goals might be realized after all.
    Last edited by Rayek; 01-23-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Will an existing perpetual license continue to exist in, er, perpetuity? Licensing that requires activation can get sketchy when a company restructures (or fades away).
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Yes, bad news. "Nothing changes for now" means nothing, because now becomes history as soon as it's now.
    The fact they actually said "for now" is a bad sign, because it means there's already discussion of how/when it WILL change occurring. If no such discussion were occurring, there'd be no motive for saying the "for now" part.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Hiya!

Yeah, I was *just* going to re-sub (I let it expire a couple months ago; holidays and all that). But now? I think I'll hold off a while and just use MARI, 3D Coat, ZBrush and "the old fashioned way" (export UV, paint in Affinity or PaintstormStudio, apply). Sucks, to be sure, but this does open up the very real possibility of some other upstart indie-friendly company to come along and offer their take on the same thing.

...or Blender will surprise everyone in a month or two with a new "Paint in 3D just like in Substance Painter or Bodypaint!".

(and I'm only half-joking about Blender...I swear, they impress me just about every time they release a new version!)
    ^_^

Paul L. Ming

=2x Xeon E5-2699v4, Asus Z10PE-D8WS, 128GB ECCDDR4 2400, 1x FirePro W9100 32gb, Samsung M.2 960 PRO 2TB, SB ZxR, 2x BENQ Zowie 27", Dell Ultrasharp U3417W, Cintiq 27" QHD Touch=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast