Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with material transparency and alpha channel

While obviously you shouldn’t have to do this, perhaps a workaround is to set up a custom buffer that contains all solid surfaces so that you could at least get rid of the issue of the transparent object making the background object transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I was told it was fixed for "current version", aka 2019, and my testing indicated same.

I see no basis for hope of a LW2018 fix to this issue, alas. I do agree a bug this severe really merits a fix for LW2018.
    yep, if you bought the package you’d expect it to work. if it was a piece of electronics you’d expect a fix, not be told to buy the model up.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I was told it was fixed for "current version", aka 2019, and my testing indicated same.

I see no basis for hope of a LW2018 fix to this issue, alas. I do agree a bug this severe really merits a fix for LW2018.
    Thanks. I was expecting this response.
    "Nothing to see here, move along!"

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    While obviously you shouldn’t have to do this, perhaps a workaround is to set up a custom buffer that contains all solid surfaces so that you could at least get rid of the issue of the transparent object making the background object transparent.
    I think that this workaround, while it would solve the alpha on conflicting zones, it would affect the borders of the rest of the object not affected with the problem. On my initial example (the ball with the ground), the ground borders would have double alpha... But it's something to try to see how it really works.

Anyways, I think I'll go the Octane route... It's a pain to convert all materials to Octane (and make them look the same), but...

Thanks!

I think if you choose the right blending method in your compositer you can probably avoid any artifacts from having double alpha on the edges. However another concerning thing from the render is that the alpha doesn’t seem to take into consideration any fresnel effects on the sphere either, it is an even value, which it probably shouldn’t be. This means you would want to calculate that as well and add that to the custom buffer. I am sure it can all be done and you can get a satisfactory result, but at that point you are basically creating a custom alpha. Although that may still be less work than rebuilding all the materials for octane.

Since it's fixed in LW2019, my guess is that a fix for LW2018 would likely be a simple copy-and-paste operation since LW2019 is almost certainly based on LW2018 code.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12