Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

never got that email lol.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

An email wasn't sent out (as far as I know) yet. The announcement thread indicates the upgrade pricing. First post on this very thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    never got that email lol.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    ...The announcement thread indicates the upgrade pricing. First post on this very thread.
    The first post says $395. You might want to check a private message, a little late.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post

Re: Waiting to hear after pressing the "Request 2019 Upgrade Discount" button:

There was an issue with the system at first, but it seems that is now fixed, and yes, LightWave Support says they are getting "MASSIVE amounts" of requests.

If you tried early and it does not seem to have worked, you may need to try again, but first realize what the procedure is:

1. You hit the button to submit
    2. LightWave Support will validate, and create a link
    3. LightWave Support will email that link to you
    4. You then click on the link

Potentially, your email server might be blocking their reply - please check filters and spam settings and folders.
    Thanks for the update Chuck. I figured out my issue. Once you click to request, you have to actually hit the Submit button. d'oh!
    Being overloaded is a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Since Newtek does not announce their plans, it's a conflict budgeting future purchases. Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket? If I spend $395 now, I can't justify doing that again next year.
    I would second this. Speaking for myself, my LightWave license is used for my personal hobbies.
    Not having any indication, at all, when a new version will be released is simply not budgetable. Then when it is released I have essentially two months to upgrade or just pay full price.
    I understand this may matter less for a studio, or anyone else. Just speaking for me.

Now, the new stuff looks good and I am looking forward to upgrading and implementing into my project.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    ...when a new version will be released is simply not budgetable. Then when it is released I have essentially two months to upgrade or just pay full price...
    This is not true. There is still upgrade pricing after the early promotion. The promotion likely just trims off $100. LW2018's upgrade price was $495 a few months ago.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    we need a VPR UNDOCK button to see in the next maintenances.
    Hmm, you've had that since the first release of 2018...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-01-24_23-15-56.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	143944

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.
    That upgrade price only applies to existing owners of LW who have Charter Status or similar from earlier/previous upgrade deals....not everyone. If it applies, then there should be a 'Request Upgrade Discount' button on your account page to get the lower price. The regular upgrade price until the end of March is $395. My upgrade price will be 276 including 20% VAT as I qualify for the discount.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

It's pretty confusing. When I checked in my account yesterday it said v2019 $395. I purchased v2015 in April 2017 $395 and v2018 in January 2018. I thought I remembered reading you had to purchase the next version to keep your discounted price for the next future version (so you can't skip a version and retain your discount)? Maybe this isn't true -- so many different softwares/plans it's hard to keep everything straight.

[edit] I started at v9 in 2006. The button "Buy Lightwave Upgrade 2019 Now" in my account is where I got the $395 price.
    Last edited by jaf; 01-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v436.30 (19sep19)

It's $295 to upgrade - from ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

This is an extremely generous offer, and to expect anything else is irrational. Name any other 3D vendor that does this.
    You're absolutely 100% right. This happened to me years ago when I was still a C4D user. I skipped the 11.5 point release as was happy enough with 11.0. Skipping an inexpensive sub-$500 point release meant that I was ineligible for upgrade pricing on 12.0 just a few months later. They wanted to charge me the (then) full $3,500 instead. After 8 or 9 years with them, that was the last straw for me. The message being, "Stay on the upgrade path... OR ELSE." Ridiculous.

NewTek's upgrade offer is extremely generous. How long it actually lasts in the real world is anybody's guess, but I certainly appreciate the gesture. Most other companies would not even go this far. In a world of subscriptions and obscene activation measures, I'm just happy that NewTek continues to offer dongle free perpetual licenses. Truly rare in 2019. This is why, regardless of my fondness for other apps like Blender, I will continue to support NewTek. Treat me well and I'll return the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Hmm, you've had that since the first release of 2018...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layout_2019-01-24_23-15-56.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	143944

B
    I made this video last week actually

I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.
    You are putting together pieces of two different things, the price you paid versus what the announcement said. They do not go together.

The announcement for 2019 says that the price from any previous version is $395 USMSRP, except if you are entitled to a lower price under the terms of a previous special purchase. If you bought the 2019 upgrade and were charged $295, that means you were entitled to that price under the terms of a previous purchase you made.

To clear up another narrative that seems to have cropped up from nowhere - no, when the introductory pricing ends, that does not mean owners of previous versions have to buy at full price of a new seat. We've never done that, and have no intention of ever doing so. We typically have had tiers, so for example there would be a price for those who upgrade from 2018, and a price for those upgrading from any earlier version. We'll have a specific announcement on that pricing before the introductory offer ends. (Just for reference, I think that it was $495 and $595 after the introductory offer last year, if I recall correctly.)
    Last edited by Chuck; 01-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Hmm. Interesting. Not sure why I was charged $295, then. I did have an educational license up until 2018. That might have something to do with the pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The first post says $395. You might want to check a private message, a little late.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    Do you mean that you can do, for example, a spiral staircase in any direction?
    Ah, I see what your problem is, you meant Radial array, and it's the offset which is screwing up. You can do a helix in the Y, but in the X and Z it becomes a spiral.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Got around to installing 2019 tonight. Unfortunately license.lwk file isn't being recognized even in correct location. Sent CS a ticket.

[edit]: Turns out there was a stealth Windows 10 update that prevented a clean install of LW. After a lengthy OS update process I reinstalled LW and all worked fine for licensing. Yay!
    Last edited by Signal to Noise; 01-24-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast