Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D® 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

Everything super snappy. Very pleased with progress in performance and stability. Love the dpi scaling and node editor UI polish.

Nice to see the new features.

Sad to see hieroglyphics showing up on the interface though. Hopefully this isn't the direction the interface icons are going in.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrookes View Post
    Nice to see the new features.

Sad to see hieroglyphics showing up on the interface though. Hopefully this isn't the direction the interface icons are going in.
    Why? I like the subtle change in the icons.

Maybe the Undo / Redo buttons are a bit crowded with the shortcut and the symbol (the symbol would be enough for me) but for overall UI consistency I understand the shortcut needs to be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Why? I like the subtle change in the icons.

Maybe the Undo / Redo buttons are a bit crowded with the shortcut and the symbol (the symbol would be enough for me) but for overall UI consistency I understand the shortcut needs to be shown.
    yes, it addressed the problems I had been having with UHD tvs as monitors, the mouse and icons would vanish , and icons would be too small, interface is much clearer now without the need for scaling
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Looking for empty volume example...

- - - Updated - - -

Crash when adding a null object, selecting "empty volume" then "mesh"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    Looking for empty volume example...

- - - Updated - - -

Crash when adding a null object, selecting "empty volume" then "mesh"
    Hmmm. The steps to get to Empty Volume are:

• Add Null
    • Open Properties Panel
    • Set Primitive type to Shape
    • Set Shape to Empty Volume

The only place that I can get to "Mesh" from "Empty Volume" is by going back up the panel and changing the Primitive Type from Shape to Mesh. Did that a bunch of times, no crash. Was that the steps you used? If so, please be sure to include your system configuration info as it may be something specific to your system and software.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    May I say that I agree with the second part, Lightwave's forte was to keep things disappearing into ' Klickiitus. '

Quite rightly, that must be adhered to more & more & remembered by the Devs I mean we need a VPR UNDOCK button

to see in the next maintenances.

May I say that I with the first part you are wrong,look at what 3rdpowers elegantly put out for modeler, what an injection.

And another one man band of viktor @ LWcad. 2guys did all , I know that Newtek are still wanting a modeler dev,

but its not that bleak , really what with Oliver's streamlining in OD Tools, I sure we will get there. Smoothing Groups

I like that, see it's not in surmountable or cut off from growth. We'll get there, they ARE listening.
    You know there's a work-around to get similar results to smoothing groups in pre-2019 versions of LightWave, right?

I do agree that it's nice to see things like OVDB implemented, plus enhancements to the UV workflow and to FBX/file interchange. It's also great that tutorials are ready at launch (would like to see one or two on the new UV tools though).

However, I'm not a big fan of the yearly release concept; it just isn't enough time to debug a program like this. Perhaps a two-year cycle would be better?

Render speeds still need a serious boost in order to keep post-production studios interested.

Regardless, there are significant new features here.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    It's pretty confusing. When I checked in my account yesterday it said v2019 $395. I purchased v2015 in April 2017 $395 and v2018 in January 2018. I thought I remembered reading you had to purchase the next version to keep your discounted price for the next future version (so you can't skip a version and retain your discount)? Maybe this isn't true -- so many different softwares/plans it's hard to keep everything straight.

[edit] I started at v9 in 2006. The button "Buy Lightwave Upgrade 2019 Now" in my account is where I got the $395 price.
    I chose not to upgrade to 2018 and I made an inquiry to Newtek as to whether I might still be eligible for the charter member upgrade and here is what I received:

"One of the conditions of maintaining Charter/PostCharter status was to keep up-to-date with releases.

You did not upgrade to 2018, therefore you have lost your charter status.

Good news is, that until March 31 you have the same upgrade price of $395 that you would have if you had maintained status.

After March 31, the upgrade price will change to $595 for LightWave 2015 owners.

Thank you for your report.
    --
    LightWave 3D Group Support"

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    I was injured this week because I was hit by a car. So I am very happy that I will be able to experience the launch of 2019 anyway.

Downloading right now!
    Ouch! I hope you're alright!
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Would so like to try the 2019 version, but Ivé been having a case of long time flu, started in 21 december, got better, worse, got better, got worse, got better, and now even worse than before..except for maybe today..but I haven´t been sleeping for 3 days now, so even though I am home for illness, I just don´t have the energy to try it
    We have the same. Diseases have become different. Previously, if we fell ill - two or three days and we are healthy. And now the diseases go on for weeks. Slowly develop, slowly leave. This is not an age - in children now is the same.

Last edited by Paul_Boland; 01-26-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

But Paul... Will their pricing scheme ever be right?
    I was a hobbyist and just one freelance job a year would pay for LightWave easily.
    They have a lot of developers to pay wages to, and a lot of ground to make up for, in terms of where LightWave is right now, so I don't begrudge paying to assist development, and pay the developers.

If it's too much for every year, you can upgrade every other year instead maybe? It'll be the same price.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by calilifestyle View Post
    Is there any render speed increase or JUST more support for export/ interchange. I do see nodes improvements.
    I did a few tests. 2019 seems to be a bit faster. Mostly around 10 percent. In some cases about 20.
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    I would like to add my voice to the yearly/price releases of Lightwave. For me, a new version upgrade of Lightwave is €400 odd, that’s a month’s income for me. If Lightwave is going to be getting a yearly new release, as a hobbyist this leaves me out in the cold. Put simply, someone said in an earlier post here that they are happy that Newtek does standalone software releases vs subscription based as is becoming the norm in the I.T. world today. Buy a year release is basically a €400 yearly subscription. For $250 a year I get Houdini!! Something to think about...
    Paul, do you mean €400 income per month from your 3D hobby work? Otherwise I wonder how you survive.

If you have LW2018 that it should be less than €400 with the discount offer. I agree with lardbros, one job or a day of work would easily pay for the upgrade.

Yes, Houdini has the best subscription offer of all of them but it's still rental only, when you stop paying you can not use your stuff again.

I like the more frequent LW updates and hope it remains that way.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-26-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Paul, do you mean €400 income per month from your 3D hobby work? Otherwise I wonder how you survive.
    For the record, I can understand Paul's situation. My income is only between £450 - £600 a month, so I have to weigh up all my expenditure very carefully. I hit the big Six-O next month which puts some limitations on my future earning prospects 3D is a hobby for me these days. I haven't earned any money from it for several years, for a variety of reasons. After upgrading to LW2019 and ODToolsSet 2019, my funds for such things are now exhausted for the immediate future. Hopefully, I will get some enjoyment from my purchases once I get my head around the latest round of changes and improvements. To be honest, I'm still getting to grips with LW2018
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast