Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I would like to suggest keeping this thread on topic - i.e., discussing 2019, and related matters. If someone wants to discuss their personal wishes for 2020, marketing, etc., etc., lets use other threads.
    Roger dodger. Anyone use the animated sculpting for corrective morphs yet?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I would like to suggest keeping this thread on topic - i.e., discussing 2019, and related matters. If someone wants to discuss their personal wishes for 2020, marketing, etc., etc., lets use other threads.
    OK Sir.

@Ianr LOL good one. Over and out

It used to be in 2015 & 2018 that the color changes I made to my UI in modeler would automatically take effect in Layout. Not happening in 2019. Odd. Am I missing something? I can set a 9.6-like color scheme in modeler, which my old eyes prefer, but have to stick with the default dark theme in layout.

What's the backlog look like for the Upgrade Discounts? Requested yesterday but haven't seen anything yet. That way I'll know to stop hitting the refresh button.

I would like to understand what all has changed for LW2019 in terms of what shading is supported in Modeler's OpenGL display, and what precise nodal surface configs are supported for OpenGL display in both Modeler and Layout (not incl. using the "OpenGL" input, as in what automatically gets shown) when viewport is set to a "Textured" mode?

I'm aware that image textures directly connected to "Color" surface input are displayed, but what (if any) other surfacing inputs can be displayed in Modeler (and Layout, if different)? Do they only support image-based textures, or also procedural textures?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Any word on non-functioning trial keys yet?

@Wyatt: Odd. I asked for mine last night at around 4:53p, their time. And got it at around 7:30a, also their time. No apparent pattern in how they answer these upgrade discount requests. I'd hang tight. Selling to you isn't exactly going to fall off of their radar.

Regarding my Modeler/Layout color issue... It's TOTALLY weird. I had to rebuild the interface color scheme cfg manually in Modeler. Even then, the colors don't automatically transfer to Layout as they did in 2015 & 2018. I had to manually rebuild the color scheme to my liking there. Even odder? Unlike Modeler, you can't export your preferences in Layout, which meant that I had to physically backup all of my CFG files in case I have to restore my new default setup at some point in the future.

Maybe I'm missing something. It just seemed way easier in 2015 & 2018. Backed up one CFG. Restored one CFG. No jumping through hoops. I got my 2019 looking more like 9.6, but DAMN did it give me a hard time.
    Last edited by cookepuss; 01-24-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Re: Trial Edition not accepting key:

The team is working on identifying and fixing the issue, but if you directly contact LightWave Support, they can generate you a 30-day key and get you going.

Re: Waiting to hear after pressing the "Request 2019 Upgrade Discount" button:

There was an issue with the system at first, but it seems that is now fixed, and yes, LightWave Support says they are getting "MASSIVE amounts" of requests.

If you tried early and it does not seem to have worked, you may need to try again, but first realize what the procedure is:

1. You hit the button to submit
    2. LightWave Support will validate, and create a link
    3. LightWave Support will email that link to you
    4. You then click on the link

Potentially, your email server might be blocking their reply - please check filters and spam settings and folders.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

This is heartening to read.

Seems that a lot of old / defunct LW users are retuning to the fold because of this release.

WELL DONE, NewTek!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Re: Trial Edition not accepting key:

The team is working on identifying and fixing the issue, but if you directly contact LightWave Support, they can generate you a 30-day key and get you going.

Re: Waiting to hear after pressing the "Request 2019 Upgrade Discount" button:

There was an issue with the system at first, but it seems that is now fixed, and yes, LightWave Support says they are getting "MASSIVE amounts" of requests.

If you tried early and it does not seem to have worked, you may need to try again, but first realize what the procedure is:

1. You hit the button to submit
    2. LightWave Support will validate, and create a link
    3. LightWave Support will email that link to you
    4. You then click on the link

Potentially, your email server might be blocking their reply - please check filters and spam settings and folders.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    I agree
    I think it depends on your screen size and resolution if it is hard to read or not.

Since Newtek does not announce their plans, it's a conflict budgeting future purchases. Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket? If I spend $395 now, I can't justify doing that again next year.
    02oct19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v436.48 (02oct19)

It's $295 to upgrade - from ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

This is an extremely generous offer, and to expect anything else is irrational. Name any other 3D vendor that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Since Newtek does not announce their plans, it's a conflict budgeting future purchases. Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket? If I spend $395 now, I can't justify doing that again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    ...Are there going to be $395 updates yearly and if you miss one are you put in the $995 bracket?
    $995 is for a full license. While they can change their upgrade policy in the future, I cannot recall a time NT ever charged a full license price for someone that came to upgrade from an ancient release.

As suggested by the 2018 release, the initial upgrade price is for all previous versions until March 31, likely to bump to $495 afterward. Additionally, there may be other discounts that Newtek may offer if you are eligible: your account page on lightwave3d.com may reveal this.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave/

Uncertain of the future, and if LW updates each year, you could upgrade every other year for an average yearly upgrade price of $200. Or upgrade every 4 years for an average yearly upgrade price of $100. If you really want to stagnate development, you could upgrade every decade.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 01-24-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    It's $295 to upgrade - from ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.
    Where do you see this?

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Where do you see this?
    I was charged $295 for my upgrade. And the 2019 announcement says the upgrade is applicable to ANY PREVIOUS VERSION.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast