Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D 2019 is Now Available - Official Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    Thanks for that tip! They need to make that clearer. I was beginning to think LW/Newtek didn't want my money after trying a few times.
    Same here. Ticket submissions? When logged in to the account, I click on "View Report List" on the right hand column. which lists 2 reports that say "(CST-743651) STORE: Discount Request from xxx xxxx".

But there is no link to an actual download. Chuck? Anybody? This shouldn't be that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Yes I understand this from a LW-only user point of view.
    Who's a LightWave-only user?
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

I have purchased most available Modeler plugins including LWCAD and 3rd Powers Tools, but that was before I understood how outdated and inefficient Modeler it is. I found my ideal 3d application and workflow and can not imagine Modeler ever reaching that level. The 'new' modeling tools in LW2018 are proof enough to me.

For Layout I see great potential in some areas (for example special effects or rendering), specially after the 2019 release.

Undo, improved navigation in lists and nodal VDB creation was reason enough for me to upgrade on release day.

I look at LightWave / Layout as a tool like Clarisse.

In my opinion NewTek should concentrate on implementing basic modeling in Layout instead (primitives, translate, bevel).

Also, further improving its render engine could be a great opportunity since more and more render engines are going rental-only.
    I think that as a community of users, we keep making assumptions about what the current group of developers are and are not going to do.

I'm saying that only as a preface to say, we shouldn't assume that there are no improvements to Modeler on their internal schedule.

Only two days ago, we had no idea they were going to drop 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Who's a LightWave-only user?
    I am, pretty much. I have 3d Studio Max, but every time I go back to it for something, it feels clunky.

That might change in the future, but for the work I do now, Lightwave is a very competent multi-tool that I can count on to get the job done.

Seriously looking forward to what this new development cycle brings us in the future.

Well, I will agree, max is clunky.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    I think that as a community of users, we keep making assumptions about what the current group of developers are and are not going to do.

I'm saying that only as a preface to say, we shouldn't assume that there are no improvements to Modeler on their internal schedule.

Only two days ago, we had no idea they were going to drop 2019.
    No idea who the devs are and what they're going to do or not. What I do see is the gap between Modeler and what other applications provide today and I believe it's too large to overcome in reasonable amount of time even with a large development team.

If modeling tools can be developed in LightWave that are up to current standards, then yes that would be great. I'd prefer if they do that in Layout, even if it's a very limited toolset (but done well). That could be built up during several releases.

I hope NewTek doesn't put more development efforts in modeling tools like the ones introduced in LW2018.

Also I wish that the developers would focus more on user experience / ease of use. For example the new VDB tools are great to have in LW and lot of new things are possible but why was there not just a button implemented to create a VDB object from a mesh. Well Oliver did it. One could script his own button or connect the same grid nodes together every time. Well, important is that the functionality is there but it could be more user friendly. The same for display scaling, works great but c'mon why is there no setting in the Display Properties.

Just my opinion of course, I'm fine with the direction LW is going right now but I do see that there are other users' needs.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-24-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Only now notices that the icons are redone. Very nice subtle touch.

No idea who the devs are and what they're going to do or not. What I do see is the gap between Modeler and what other applications provide today and I believe it's too large to overcome in reasonable amount of time even with a large development team.

If modeling tools can be developed in LightWave that are up to current standards, then yes that would be great. I'd prefer if they do that in Layout, even if it's a very limited toolset (but done well). That could be built up during several releases.

I hope NewTek doesn't put more development efforts in modeling tools like the ones introduced in LW2018.

Also I wish that the developers would focus more on user experience / ease of use. For example the new VDB tools are great to have in LW and lot of new things are possible but why was there not just a button implemented to create a VDB object from a mesh. Well Oliver did it. One could script his own button or connect the same grid nodes together every time. Well, important is that the functionality is there but it could be more user friendly. The same for display scaling, works great but c'mon why is there no setting in the Display Properties.

Just my opinion of course, I'm fine with the direction LW is going right now but I do see that there are other users' needs.

May I say that I agree with the second part, Lightwave's forte was to keep things disappearing into ' Klickiitus. '

Quite rightly, that must be adhered to more & more & remembered by the Devs I mean we need a VPR UNDOCK button

to see in the next maintenances.

May I say that I with the first part you are wrong,look at what 3rdpowers elegantly put out for modeler, what an injection.

And another one man band of viktor @ LWcad. 2guys did all , I know that Newtek are still wanting a modeler dev,

but its not that bleak , really what with Oliver's streamlining in OD Tools, I sure we will get there. Smoothing Groups

I like that, see it's not in surmountable or cut off from growth. We'll get there, they ARE listening.

I have purchased most available Modeler plugins including LWCAD and 3rd Powers Tools, but that was before I understood how outdated and inefficient Modeler it is. I found my ideal 3d application and workflow and can not imagine Modeler ever reaching that level. The 'new' modeling tools in LW2018 are proof enough to me.

For Layout I see great potential in some areas (for example special effects or rendering), specially after the 2019 release.

Undo, improved navigation in lists and nodal VDB creation was reason enough for me to upgrade on release day.

I look at LightWave / Layout as a tool like Clarisse.

In my opinion NewTek should concentrate on implementing basic modeling in Layout instead (primitives, translate, bevel).

Also, further improving its render engine could be a great opportunity since more and more render engines are going rental-only.
    I have no problem at all using specialty software. If lightwave (or any other piece of software) does anything that is better than other software and I have a use for it, I will use it. I wouldn't mind at all separate modeling, animation and rendering environments. However, the pricing model has to be right for that to happen. I can't rent or sub every piece of software as a generalist person, the pricing is stupid and ridiculous.

I say this because I'm glad Newtek haven't fallen into this category yet. Several other small and large companies are pushing now for 600+ dollars a year for a single license for specialty software and even plugins now, give me a break. It doesn't make sense when you are a generalist or a part of a smaller company who needs generalists. Also software isn't the only thing we have to worry about. There are also hardware and maintenance issues to think about and staying up to date with all that.

I guess my point is that I want to be able to use software without being constantly charged for it and eventually pushed away from it just because I don't pay up every year. Yes I believe in supporting the developer but give me a reason ok?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    May I say that I agree with the second part, Lightwave's forte was to keep things disappearing into ' Klickiitus. '

Quite rightly, that must be adhered to more & more & remembered by the Devs I mean we need a VPR UNDOCK button

to see in the next maintenances.

May I say that I with the first part you are wrong,look at what 3rdpowers elegantly put out for modeler, what an injection.

And another one man band of viktor @ LWcad. 2guys did all , I know that Newtek are still wanting a modeler dev,

but its not that bleak , really what with Oliver's streamlining in OD Tools, I sure we will get there. Smoothing Groups

I like that, see it's not in surmountable or cut off from growth. We'll get there, they ARE listening.
    Thanks for your response ianr;

I agree that it's great what these developers achieved.

Nevertheless specially the 3rd Power tools only scratch the surface what's possible in other apps natively (LWBrush, Boolean, MetaMesh, HeatShrink, Weight Paint). LWCAD is not working well with native tools but replaces lots of them and is still not parametric.

Smoothing Groups, Edge Shader, Patina and other goodies yes, nice to have it in LW.

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    check in your ticket submissions in your account, I didn't get email but the link was already in there
    Nothing yet but thanks for the heads up. Man, haven't submitted a ticket since 2015 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I have no problem at all using specialty software. If lightwave (or any other piece of software) does anything that is better than other software and I have a use for it, I will use it. I wouldn't mind at all separate modeling, animation and rendering environments. However, the pricing model has to be right for that to happen. I can't rent or sub every piece of software as a generalist person, the pricing is stupid and ridiculous.

I say this because I'm glad Newtek haven't fallen into this category yet. Several other small and large companies are pushing now for 600+ dollars a year for a single license for specialty software and even plugins now, give me a break. It doesn't make sense when you are a generalist or a part of a smaller company who needs generalists. Also software isn't the only thing we have to worry about. There are also hardware and maintenance issues to think about and staying up to date with all that.

I guess my point is that I want to be able to use software without being constantly charged for it and eventually pushed away from it just because I don't pay up every year. Yes I believe in supporting the developer but give me a reason ok?
    Absolutely.

I personally don't mind paying for maintenance if the (perpetual) software doesn't use online activation or subscription (and if I see substantial improvements in their releases).

Unfortunately some software I use are now rental-only (Vue xStream, Vray) or might soon be (thinking of Substance). The prices of all this monthly or yearly fees without ever owning a license is crazy.

The moment a software goes this direction I stop investing in it. That leaves more budget for software that have a user friendly licensing system.

Thanks for your response ianr;

I agree that it's great what these developers achieved.

Nevertheless specially the 3rd Power tools only scratch the surface what's possible in other apps natively (LWBrush, Boolean, MetaMesh, HeatShrink, Weight Paint). LWCAD is not working well with native tools but replaces lots of them and is still not parametric.

Smoothing Groups, Edge Shader, Patina and other goodies yes, nice to have it in LW.

Marander , having been a master draughtsman I dream of nested Dassualt cadtooling inside Lightwave.

That's the only softs that you put in a napkin sketch one end & out comes an built fully constructed

aircraft out at the other! Yes Really, much to Boeing Corp's chagrin, that was leaked to me long ago.

Then after a cross between a VR potterswheel & a replicator I am nudged by my woman with the first

cup of Morning Earl Gray Tea... Blues Skies & Tail-winds...........

Absolutely.

I personally don't mind paying for maintenance if the (perpetual) software doesn't use online activation or subscription (and if I see substantial improvements in their releases).

Unfortunately some software I use are now rental-only (Vue xStream, Vray) or might soon be (thinking of Substance). The prices of all this monthly or yearly fees without ever owning a license is crazy.

The moment a software goes this direction I stop investing in it. That leaves more budget for software that have a user friendly licensing system.
    Yeah, I like chaosgroup but it appears that perpetual upgrades are going away there as well. That means I have to use arnold with my one and only perpetual maya/ maintenance license (that has the price going up every year) or use the new lightwave render. I keep maya around because of the animation tools but using lightwave for other stuff might be a good thing. It's kind of like it was 10 years ago again. The difference is that most software now has no upgrade options anymore only pay-up or else you loose it mentality.

If Lightwave comes up with heavy character animation support I would definitely drop my annual $700 maya maintenance fee. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be priority here.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

I would like to suggest keeping this thread on topic - i.e., discussing 2019, and related matters. If someone wants to discuss their personal wishes for 2020, marketing, etc., etc., lets use other threads.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast