Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swift 3D for Lightwave version 3

Swift 3D for Lightwave version 3

Hi to all, I have an issue with swift3d installer, my cd has broken and need to download Swift3d Version 3 for Lightwave for both Mac or PC was wondering if anyone has the installation cd or know where to find the installer. Regards Neil

I'll have to look and see if I still have my disc. If I do it's in storage.
    This vector output market got stupidly anti-competitive. Erain was gobbled up and put out to pasture along with similar solutions it seems.

Just typing "Swift3d Version 3" into "the googles" leads one to abandonware sites with instant download.

There is a note: "This installer requires that you have both a valid serial number AND past activation number, since the ERAIN.COM activation server has been terminated many years ago". If Electric Rain issued your activation number based on hardware at the time, you may still need that old hardware.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Thank you

BigHache Thanks in advance hope you find it

LW Watcher
    Didn't this only generate flash output? Not so popular these days and I remember the file sizes were huge, particularly in comparison with native flash output.

Why would you need Swift3D? Flash is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Why would you need Swift3D? Flash is dead.
    Not quite as dead as some like to believe. In the e-learning market, Flash is still predominant. It's still the single most interactive and flexible cross-system / browser method for delivering dynamic learning content.

There is a big push for everything to go over to HTML5-based content, but just like in the 90s, not every browser implements HTML5 the same way, which results in the necessity of coding for multiple browsers. It was a pain in the butt then and still is.

Plus, to be perfectly frank, HTML5 (with CSS and Java) still isn't as dynamic as Flash; on occasions when it is, it often takes a web developer and a Java developer to build it out, in lieu of one skilled Flash developer.

All that being said, I definitely wouldn't use Swift3d to develop 3d content for Flash. Far easier to design your 3d content, export as image sequences, and then bring it into Adobe Animate to add your interactivity (sliders, buttons, etc).

@RPSchmidt The current situation is nothing like the 90s: Microsoft has just announced last month that it is stopping development on their own browser engine, and replacing it with Chromium. Opera runs on Chromium, Safari runs on Chromium, and the last standing survivor Firefox is non-existent on mobile platforms, while on desktop platforms it dropped below 10% to 9% (and it is decreasing).

In short, the browser war is over and done with. 97% of the world's browsing is done via Chromium based technology. Develop with Chrome in mind.

I find this a very depressing thought, and always (and still) prefer Firefox. The current situation is actually comparable to the time (~2001) when IE6 ruled - but worse. Or better, depending on your point of view.

As for Flash versus html/js/browser native interactive content (not Java but Javascript, btw! Two very different things!) I cannot agree either. With Godot Engine or Unity things are possible in Webassembly together with Javascript that are just utterly impossible in Flash. Any language can be used to develop applications which run at near native speed in a browser now - including rapid prototyping (mostly visual) development environments with advanced (2d and 3d) animation capabilities (Godot, Unity), which put the Flash platform to shame. Even virtual and augmented reality is not an problem with these.

No, Flash can't keep up with what is possible (and created) with the Webassembly<->Javascript combo. Thinking that Flash is more dynamic or easier to develop for is just deluding oneself. Things have moved forward at a rapid pace.

And all without the need for a plugin. I used to be a Flash developer, and have moved on a long time ago. Things are much preferable now than they ever were when Flash 'ruled'.

PS I also work in the e-learning market, and as always large swathes of that market is lagging behind the rest of the world. Like some behemoth corporations, most of the educational sector tends to resist change. This is slowly improving, though, which is good. Often instructors and teachers are partly to blame due to many of them unwilling and/or unable to keep up with the times and learn new technology. Of course, in many countries education is under budgeted, and that doesn't help either.
    Last edited by Rayek; 01-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Flash is certainly not the single most interactive and flexible cross-system / browser method for delivering dynamic learning content if it does not run on mobile devices and if it requires an IT department to continually install and patch optional browser plugins on desktop systems.

Who is believing Flash is still alive? Adobe has confirmed the death of Flash. The authoring application has not had an update/upgrade since 2013. Adobe announced that the single digit percentage of users still using it will be completely abandoned in 2020. https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

The only reason one may perceive dominance in the e-learning market is because poorly funded learning institutions don't upgrade until required. They are not really part of the e-learning market anymore. The e-learning market, that actually generates and sells content, moved from Flash years ago.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Back on track: @Neil Williams Is you intention to render to vector? If it is, other viable options exist.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

The other viable options is usually just one: use a vector drawing program (Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Inkscape) to auto-trace the bitmap rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The other viable options is usually just one: use a vector drawing program (Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Inkscape) to auto-trace the bitmap rendering.
    Well, another option is to render directly to SVG, of course. Here is a cube exported to a SVG animation with the Freestyle SVG exporter (https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/l...ort_svg.html):

Another example (these files are transparent, btw):

Freestyle doesn't support colour output, I believe. Another SVG script does output coloured polygons:

https://blenderartists.org/t/svg-output-script/566412

But I agree that using a cel-shader and autotracing the bitmap render is a good option too. In the case that I would have to convert to a vector animation, I probably would render a non-aliased high-res version, and use OpenToonz to do the conversion for me, which will automatically create colour swatches of non-aliased colour art work and very clean vectors which are human editable.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Been there done that. Freestyle in Blender is so much better.

Do as Rayek suggested and use freestyle if you need vector output. It makes simple lines that you easily can adjust in illustrator or similar if needed.
    Last edited by Ztreem; 01-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    @RPSchmidt The current situation is nothing like the 90s: Microsoft has just announced last month that it is stopping development on their own browser engine, and replacing it with Chromium. Opera runs on Chromium, Safari runs on Chromium, and the last standing survivor Firefox is non-existent on mobile platforms, while on desktop platforms it dropped below 10% to 9% (and it is decreasing).

In short, the browser war is over and done with. 97% of the world's browsing is done via Chromium based technology. Develop with Chrome in mind.

I find this a very depressing thought, and always (and still) prefer Firefox. The current situation is actually comparable to the time (~2001) when IE6 ruled - but worse. Or better, depending on your point of view.
    As an HTML developer from the 90s, this seems very much EXACTLY like it was in the 90s. Every single time I open the same HTML5 website in four separate browsers and it fails to display, animate, or interact in the same manner in each browser, it reminds me of the differences between the browsers in HTML standards implementations back then.

I don't think I have ever considered Internet Explorer the ruler of anything, honestly. The only thing I could attribute to IE was that back in my web development days, it seemed to be more forgiving on some syntax... which definitely wasn't a plus.

I always preferred FireFox as well; it always seemed to have the most accurate and literal translations of HTML standards.

As for Flash versus html/js/browser native interactive content (not Java but Javascript, btw! Two very different things!) I cannot agree either. With Godot Engine or Unity things are possible in Webassembly together with Javascript that are just utterly impossible in Flash. Any language can be used to develop applications which run at near native speed in a browser now - including rapid prototyping (mostly visual) development environments with advanced (2d and 3d) animation capabilities (Godot, Unity), which put the Flash platform to shame. Even virtual and augmented reality is not an problem with these.
    Java / Javascript; both OOP, only significant difference is one needs to be compiled and one is a script run by a plugin. I can use both Java and Javascript to create applications and both can be in an HTML page. Not all that different.

Unity is definitely unique; but I don't know a single e-learning developer who has the time, money, or resources to invest in constant mass e-learning development using Unity. Try developing or maintaining 1400+ e-learning courses in Unity.

I have created many, many interactive 3d products using Flash. It's simple and easy, required little programming overhead, and ran just fine. Even recreated an entire library in 3d and ran a virtual tour of it using Flash.

No, Flash can't keep up with what is possible (and created) with the Webassembly<->Javascript combo. Thinking that Flash is more dynamic or easier to develop for is just deluding oneself. Things have moved forward at a rapid pace.

And all without the need for a plugin. I used to be a Flash developer, and have moved on a long time ago. Things are much preferable now than they ever were when Flash 'ruled'.
    You say all without the need for a plugin; so Javascript just runs itself? Or Unity simply instantiates a 3d environment all on its lonesome? The "magic" of HTML5 is almost entirely plugin dependent.

I'm not sure why the need for a plugin is only disparaging when referring to Flash.

PS I also work in the e-learning market, and as always large swathes of that market is lagging behind the rest of the world. Like some behemoth corporations, most of the educational sector tends to resist change. This is slowly improving, though, which is good. Often instructors and teachers are partly to blame due to many of them unwilling and/or unable to keep up with the times and learn new technology. Of course, in many countries education is under budgeted, and that doesn't help either.
    If you work in the e-learning market as a developer, then you know that the current top development tools for e-learning (Storyline, Captivate, etc.) produce both Flash and HTML5 content; and if you have tested their HTML5 content, you know that it simply does not work across all browsers. These are the base tools developers are using today.

Hopefully that will actually change in the very near future, but right now it's still problematic.

Regardless, in the end, I was only pointing out where Flash is still heavily in use in e-learning.

Oh lord, the memories came flooding back... Swift3D, SWF Encrypt, MovieClip, GotoAndPlay...Flash Projectors, Director... Interactive CDRoms... Eeeeeeeeee.. those were the days. Or were they?.... The one thing I DO miss is the compactness and portability of the SWF. That was effing nice. Being able to pack an entire crazy site for an ad agency, product mini-site, or a full visualization app into a handful of SWFs (sometimes just two - preloader and site/app) was quite wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast