Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vector drawing tools in LW2015?

vector drawing tools in LW2015?

Hi, folks. I, a beginner, am trying to follow a toot about lathing a bowl from a spline Draw profile. A standard teaching problem for learning Lathing. But is there any way to draw a straight line for the bottom of the bowl? I tried Spline Draw, Bezier, and Sketch-lots of ways to draw curves a-plenty; none for drawing a straight horizontal line. How can I do that?
    BC

Two points close together before the curve ought to suffice on spline.

TrueArt Support
    I disrecommend using spline for profile for Lathe tool, as there is no control to how many segments curve will be quantized (just Curve Divisions: Coarse, Medium and Fine).
    If you would get EasySpline http://easyspline.trueart.eu
    It has tool Spline Density, which takes number of segments as parameter, to which spline will be quantized.
    After quantization (freezing) of spline to 2 point polygon chain, you would use profile for Lathe.

EasySpline has also spline-compliant version of Lathe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAeIoL-fR9k

It does not quantize/freeze spline, but multiplies spline and generates entire spline-cage.

Drop the spline tool after creation, select the point from where you wish to start the straight line, hit "e" for extender, then followed by "t" for translate, then hold
    ctrl in while moving the mouse in the direction you want the straight line.

Also, You can download the free pictrix bezier curve, which allows for combined straight curves as well as rounded splines in one go without having to use extender method above.

You can also use the line pen tool and middle mouse click draw to draw a straight line, set snapping to vertex only and start draw from where you want the straight line to start.

Px bezier also allows for similar control of curve segments as the commercial tool from Sensei, but px bezier is free, it has a lot of snapping modes, belt mode, extend mode, and you can save out curve profiles.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160322...&submit=Search

Sensei's EasySpline tool is highly recommended.
    As is LWCAD.

But as a beginner, better you learn some of the basics and a few pitfalls before investing more money. The free stuff is quite powerful, too.

You may also consider vector drawing tools outside of LW2015. If you're more comfortable using a vector drawing program like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, you can create art there an import to Modeler.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    You may also consider vector drawing tools outside of LW2015. If you're more comfortable using a vector drawing program like Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, you can create art there an import to Modeler.
    That's what I was about to chime in with when internet went out.

If your dabbling with 3D, you're probably going to get attracted to After Effects or similar. Vector based files open up whole new worlds, so it's pretty much a basic tool.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    That's what I was about to chime in with when internet went out.

If your dabbling with 3D, you're probably going to get attracted to After Effects or similar. Vector based files open up whole new worlds, so it's pretty much a basic tool.
    Not everyone can afford illustrator, free alternatives are good to have....Unfortunately Lightwave doesnīt support the SVG format, they should really work on implementing the svg format (splotchdog has one, but not anywhere near good enough), which I think is superior to eps, and Inkscape is great to do vector graphics in, blender has support for that and allows for
    full 3d curves within the imported files, and the svg format comes in with proper drills, proper color and it is also adjustable with the handles, unlike imported eps files.

You can go the route of exporting svg files to blender, convert to mesh to get a poly to lightwave.

Otherwise, pictriz bezier is great, you can combine the drawn spline as divided straight, or just straight segments, custom segments, hard angle controls or smooth controls, and save out curve profiles and load back in, so you can have a library of profile curves to load and lathe around as needed.

Nobody should afford Illustrator. That's why there are so many free and <$50 apps like Affinity Designer.

Free alternatives are not limited to SVG output. Inkscape (free) can export EPS and PS which LW Modeler imports. However, Blender's import capabilities with SVG are quite good and worth the middle step.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Oliver Hotz released a free python script for importing pdf's of newer versions than ver.8 which also support svg. It was in a thread on this forum but I don't remember where.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modeler_2019-01-18_15-49-03.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	143895

It can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/files/

Seek "OD_ImportVectorFile.pyc"

Nobody should afford Illustrator. That's why there are so many free and <$50 apps like Affinity Designer.

Free alternatives are not limited to SVG output. Inkscape (free) can export EPS and PS which LW Modeler imports. However, Blender's import capabilities with SVG are quite good and worth the middle step.
    No..I donīt think the eps export is working properly from inkscape, tried it many times, there is eps options, but Lightwave doesnīt recognize any geometry being exported.
    As I am aware of after testing, neither eps or ps is working.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    No..I donīt think the eps export is working properly from inkscape, tried it many times, there is eps options, but Lightwave doesnīt recognize any geometry being exported...
    I believe you're still on 2015. It's working fine here on 2018's native EPS loader. It fails for me on 2015's native EPS loader. Oliver's free script above will load it in 2015 (and 2018).

Tried olivers python script,
    Why isnīt it in the Lightwave plugin database?..instead required facebook login, I had to create an account unfortunately.

pdf I didnīt get working from inkscape, svg works sort of, brings in quadrangled polys, when unchecked it crashes, it brings in the color set in inkscape as well.
    added to path object segments and that it can not recognize, not even after combined paths in inkscape.

Still testing.

I believe you're still on 2015. It's working fine here on 2018's native EPS loader. It fails for me on 2015's native EPS loader. Oliver's free script above will load it in 2015 (and 2018).
    The eps importer is 2.1 in 2015 and itīs the same version in 2018.
    I tried it in 2018 and it is still not working
    Are you sure it isnīt a question about the inkscape version, or some settings in there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast