Thread: Tricaster TC1 and NAS shared storage integration

Tricaster TC1 and NAS shared storage integration

Hello, everyone.

My company is working on a project involving an NDI production network (connected to a Trickster TC1 system) and a few edit suites connected to a shared storage system.

The client used to record all the media in the Tricaster local drives and then move that to the edit suites using external drives (snicker net). Now we have been hired to set up a NAS system so all their edit suites have shared storage, which is a straight forward process for us.
    But they would also like the Tricaster to hace access to the NAS so that they can record directly into the server and stop moving media back and forth...

I know the TC1 comes with 2 Gigabit ports, so I was wondering if they could use port #1 to connect the Tricaster to the NDI production switch (where all the NDI cameras will be connected), and we could use port #2 to connect the Tricaster to the NAS. That way, the TC1 could act as a bridge between both the NDI network and the postproduction network.

We are considering a second scenario consisting on connecting one of the ports in the NAS server to the NDI production switch, but these involves changing the IP address on that particular port of the NAS to match the NDI production network... It seems more complicated to me than the first option.

Does anybody else have experience connecting a TC1 to NAS storage? What would be your advice?

Many Thanks in advance,

Jesús

Connecting the tricaster to each network is our preferred workflow.

Would love some details about how you'll build their NAS. We're currently building one for our office, and have looked at everything from off-the-shelf to rolling our own. The latter is what we're currently doing, with FreeNAS as the software.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

I personally have no experience with NAS, but I do know that Studio Network Solutions has worked closely with Newtek to develop hardware specifically for use with TriCaster, please check them out.

https://www.studionetworksolutions.c...k-storage-evo/

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks for your input, Lee and Jeff.

My company is the official reseller for LumaForge in Spain and Portugal. This particular client reached out to us because they edit with Final Cut Pro X and they know the Jellyfish NAS systems by LumaForge work really well with FCP X.
    We could go NFS or SMB, since the Jellyfish has optimal performance with both. But in this case, we will work over SMB so the Tricaster TC1 (which is Windows based) can access the same share as all the Mac workstations without issues.

Well, I will let you guys know if I have more questions moving forward. And of course, I will be happy to report back with more details about the install after everything is set up.

Jesús