Thread: 10 Gigabit Ethernet for TC1

10 Gigabit Ethernet for TC1

Hi

Is it possible to set up 10 Gigabit Ethernet for TC1 with this setup?

I have understood in another forum that it should be an overkill.
    But I would like to be on the safe side and have enough bandwidth, why I do want a 10 Gb connection, if it can be done at all on a TC1?

Sonnet SOLO10G-TB3
    https://www.sonnettech.com/product/solo-10g-tb3.html

NetGear XS716E
    https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XS716E.aspx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC1-back.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	143769

Best regards
    Bo

Hi Bo,

The Sonnet unit connects to Thunderbolt 3 port, which you do NOT have on your machine. Thunderbolt 3 uses the same USB-C style connector, but what you have on your TC1 is actually USB-C (USB 3.1) and not Thunderbolt 3 so the Sonnet would not connect.

Also - curious why you even have the USB-C port? I have an early-model TC1 without that port, so either the newer shipping units use a different motherboard now, or the European units have different hardware. Interesting.

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 01-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

New TC1 unit have a motherboard with USB-C connector but no eSATA connector.

As for 10Gb, there is no need for this on a TC1 unit. However, you can connect both 1GbE interfaces to the switch and NDI will automatically take advantage of it to give you 2 gigabits of bandwidth.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    New TC1 unit have a motherboard with USB-C connector but no eSATA connector.

As for 10Gb, there is no need for this on a TC1 unit. However, you can connect both 1GbE interfaces to the switch and NDI will automatically take advantage of it to give you 2 gigabits of bandwidth.

Hi Kane, thanks for your reply!
    But how shall I relate to this scenario:

1 Tricaster TC1, transmits 4 outputs in 1080.50p
    16 NDI camera (Not NDI HX) at 1080.50p
    8-10 Bird Dog Mini (Used as a Reciver) NDI to HDMI 1080,50p
    1 Bird Dog Central (Routing various signals for 8-10 screens / Bird dog Mini)

Do you think i do not have to worry about bandwidth?

Best regards
    Bo 😊

Hi! Did u managed this? I want to buy a TC1 but i dont know if will handle 16 NDI sources 4K. How is your system? I dont understad why Newtek dont use 10gbits ethernet connectors 4K is almost 350mbps*16=5600

Quote Originally Posted by kencee View Post
    Hi! Did u managed this? I want to buy a TC1 but i dont know if will handle 16 NDI sources 4K. How is your system? I dont understad why Newtek dont use 10gbits ethernet connectors 4K is almost 350mbps*16=5600
    A TC1 can handle 16 sources all 4K.

Something you need to know is that NDI bandwidth management will make sources that aren't in output use much less bandwidth, so it isn't as simple as 16 channels times 350Mbps is how much bandwidth you will use. As soon as you put a channel on output it will go to full bandwidth, this all is automatic operation. On 4K workflows, it is highly recommended that you connect both 1GbE ports on the TC1 to the network.

NewTek does make a system with 10GbE on it, the VMC1 system.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank u! I hope it will be ok then TC1 for 16 inputs.

Anybody want to trade their TC1 with mine so I can use the USB-C? :-p

Can u confirm that the TC1 2RU and 3RU is the same hardware and pc specs? The 4000usd differences is only the power supply?

Quote Originally Posted by kencee View Post
    Can u confirm that the TC1 2RU and 3RU is the same hardware and pc specs? The 4000usd differences is only the power supply?
    Between the TC1 2RU and 3RU the difference is the power supply and case size.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Between the TC1 2RU and 3RU the difference is the power supply and case size.
    Wow! $5,000 US extra cost (B&H) for the redundant power supply and a larger 3RU case. One third the additional cost of the 2RU unit.
    Nearly $7,000 in Australia. Surely not?

I once did a video game tournament, where we were doing two streams of two different games to Twitch. One stream was being fed from program and the other from preview, we were switching using presets. Each window had 8 NDI sources in it as comps. This really bogged down the system when both were in Program and Preview simultaneously. It was only later that someone from NewTek told us that if we had 2 1 gig feeds going into the switch it would have helped with the issue. So, depending on how you intend to use your NDI sources, the more bandwidth the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Then buy the cheaper one.
    You keep posting about this.
    Call sales and ask the the reasoning.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Stream.

All members of this forum are entitled to respectfully comment/react to the posts of others. In this thread, mine is a reaction to another member’s genuine query regarding the pricing, hardware & feature differential of the Tricaster TC1 2RU & 3RU.

A valid question worth investigating in another dedicated thread (only one thread) to reveal if any other features , albeit hardware or software, not included in Kane’s reply.

Our local Newtek reseller and distributor could not offer any explanation for the price difference prior to the posting of the new thread, other than Kane’s reply on this forum.

Steve Bowie’s suggestion to contact Sales has since been followed through. With respect, your updated post in this thread is four days after Steve Bowie’s reply, and had already been actioned.

Something you need to know is that NDI bandwidth management will make sources that aren't in output use much less bandwidth, so it isn't as simple as 16 channels times 350Mbps is how much bandwidth you will use. As soon as you put a channel on output it will go to full bandwidth, this all is automatic operation.
    Indeed, this is very clever.

Using NDI Tools 3.8 (Newtek free download), I played a 4Kp50 video clip using the VLC Player NDI plug-in and broadcast via a 1Gb switch on the same subnet.

On a the receiving workstation, I used the NDI Studio Monitor application with Windows Task Manager monitoring the network bit-rate from the VLC Player on the remote workstation.

When I resized the NDI Studio Monitor to a small size, the bit-rate reduced accordingly.
    When resized to larger size or full screen the network bit-rate increased accordingly.
    Approximately 300-350 mb/s full screen 4Kp50 depending on the complexity of the video changes between frames.

The magic that is Newtek’s NDI revealed. Thanks Kane for the Tip Jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Editec View Post
    When I resized the NDI Studio Monitor to a small size, the bit-rate reduced accordingly.
    When resized to larger size or full screen the network bit-rate increased accordingly.
    Approximately 300-350 mb/s full screen 4Kp50 depending on the complexity of the video changes between frames.

The magic that is Newtek’s NDI revealed. Thanks Kane for the Tip Jar.
    Interesting, I only knew of encoders having a low quality or high quality stream. I assume its switching between the two depending on what it thinks it needs. I know a lot of video players for the web will not use 1080p etc when you embed them at 640*480 because there is no reason until the user goes into full screen.