Thread: Newbie needs new cameras for TC 460 in HOW environment

Newbie needs new cameras for TC 460 in HOW environment

We currently have 3 manned cameras that are very old and need to be replaced. We have a TC 460 Std Edition that we're using today. We plan to upgrade to the Advanced Edition soon. I would love to get some recommendations on cameras that will give us HD capability, 20-30x optical zoom, tripod mounting, our broadcast room needs remote control. We will need to run new cabling so I'm not very limited there. We're looking for good cameras that won't "break the bank." If possible, it would be great to keep each camera under $10k. I really appreciate any feedback you can provide.

thanks,

Tony
    Last edited by ndjaf; 01-02-2019 at 01:25 PM.

I'm assuming by remote control you are talking about PTZ type cameras? Just about any PTZ will fit in the budget of under $10K per camera.

If you are looking for high end, then I would recommend taking a look at the Panasonic PTZ HE-130 models. These are a 3 chip, 20x zoom professional PTZ cameras, pretty much the best PTZ cameras you can get for indoor use. They can be controlled by the TriCaster 460 and also can be purchased with NDI support, but you can also connect them via SDI to the TC460.

If you aren't looking to spend that much on a camera, then there are lots of PTZ choices below the HE-130. I'd recommend taking a look at the NewTek PTZ1 or the other Panasonic models like the HE-40. Both of these cameras have SDI output or can connect via NDI as well. If your plans are to do image projection with these cameras, then SDI might be the better way to connect them to keep latency to a minimum, but testing will be the best way to determine.

Trying to find a reseller in your area is a good way to start. They might let you test out a unit so you can see the quality and performance before you purchase.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Actually I'm looking for non-PTZ cameras. We need to be able to control color, focus & white balance from the booth. We currently have a PTZOptics 30x NDI PTZ camera that we're using for a location where we can't put a manned camera. The issue we have with it is panning smoothly with it zoomed in. Other than that, it works great for our needs.

I'll let other speak to those needs, I'm not a camera expert, PTZ ones are what I have the most familiarity with.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Depending on how large your venue is and the camera zoom you need, I have some robotic heads with AJA RovoCam 4k box cameras on them that would work great. These are not all in one PTZ cameras but actual robotic cameras with really smooth movement and are completely silent which is great for HOW applications. We had to go to larger 4K cameras and so the kits are just sitting now. You can have 1 operator or 1 per camera. Operators can be onsite, next door, or across the country since each camera chain is fully IP controlled. Let me know if you are interested, I am looking to making someone a tremendous deal on these.

Here is one of the Mark Roberts demo videos
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Jeff,
    That looks like a very interesting solution but I really need 20-30x optical zoom on the cameras. Our cameras will be placed 75+ feet away from the stage.

Thanks,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ndjaf View Post
    Actually I'm looking for non-PTZ cameras. We need to be able to control color, focus & white balance from the booth. We currently have a PTZOptics 30x NDI PTZ camera that we're using for a location where we can't put a manned camera. The issue we have with it is panning smoothly with it zoomed in. Other than that, it works great for our needs.
    Regarding the panning issue - how is the camera being controlled? Via TriCaster or external control? I'm able to get a slow, consistent PTZ pan speed using TriCaster macros that I can't achieve with a joystick.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I'm able to get a slow, consistent PTZ pan speed using TriCaster macros that I can't achieve with a joystick.
    I'm interested in this. I'd sort of expect the tiny UI joysticks to be a bit fussy, they're so small ... mostly to let you create presets. But the hardware joystick on a control surface should be pretty responsive. Are you not finding that to be the case?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

We're using external control with a PC running NDI Studio Monitor. We tried a joystick but couldn't get it to work correctly so are using a mouse. I would be interested in understanding how to create macros that will allow me to pan as a person moves across the stage.

thanks!

Good point, Steve!

ndjaf - do you have the Newtek Control Surface for the 460? That would provide nice joystick control for PTZ. You didn't mention that board so maybe you don't have it.

To figure out macros - just start recording a new macro and move the virtual joystick left and right (briefly!), stop recording, then EDIT the macro to see what the commands are to move camera. Go from there.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    To figure out macros - just start recording a new macro ...f
    Sounds like we're talking about Studio Monitor, though, and of course it lacks macro support.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have the Newtek Control Surface but have been using Studio Monitor to control the PTZ camera as we try it out. I'll look into controlling it through the Control Surface with macros.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ndjaf View Post
    I have the Newtek Control Surface but have been using Studio Monitor to control the PTZ camera as we try it out. I'll look into controlling it through the Control Surface with macros.
    You don't really need macros to do most PTZ-related things with a NewTek CS.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator