Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AI in the 3d industry.The end for Artists or maybe a new beginning?

AI in the 3d industry.The end for Artists or maybe a new beginning?

Hi.

I've just finished writing an article about artificial intelligence in the 3d industry.
    What do you think about it?
    Write your feelings on this topic.

Article:

http://3dprocomp.blogspot.com/2019/0...rtists-or.html

Best Regards.
    Adrian

Andrew Price did an interesting talk giving his thoughts. I wouldn't describe AI as an end or a beginning, but more a turning curve. It might make some of the bigger studios sweat, but allow the little guy to do more. William Vaughan once wrote that there is no magic "do my job" button to click, and I think that will remain the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgLxSLsYWQ

IMO, it'd be better if we called it IA rather than AI: "Intelligent Assist" rather than "Artificial Intelligence". Having access to a so-called "intelligent" tool to assist in de-noising, pixel interpolation, even to identify opportunities for focusing the collision detection granularity (one of my pet peeves!), etc. are fine and could be extrordinarily valuable.

"Art" has a "deep soul" or "deep history" which differentiates it from just producing or creating stuff. When I'm discussing art with a friend or friends at dinner, I like to wad up my napkin, throw it on the table, and claim it's art. And, in some form, it *is* art because it has intention behind the creation, but on the otherhand it's *not* art because it's purely algorithmic (wad up the napkin, throw it on the table: repeat). If I program a computer to randomly dip a paintbrush in various colors and create random patterns on a canvas, is that "art". Why do we use tools like LW (or a typewriter, or a paintbrush, or a camera) in the first place?

So, as I said, I think some of the stigma associated with "articial intelligence" may be alleviated in favor of human creativity by calling them "intelligent assists".

As always, just my opinion!

mTp

Hiya!

I can see it being used as MonroePoteet indicates; as an intelligent "macro" to do something that would otherwise be easy, but time consuming. For example, being able to "feed in" a dozen pictures of a particular landscape (overgrown forest, or maybe rolling plains, or edges of a lake/pond, etc), and then tell the "AI" to "Generate Appropriate Ground Cover" by using assets in designated folders. The AI could take a "look" at all the pictures and think "Aaahhh...ok, here are a bunch of common things I'm seeing..." and then choose appropriate objects and populate the scene/designated-area.

I can see AI being useful for that. For an artist to tell it "I need some textures that look sort of 'creepy'. Here are some of what I mean...[plug in a folder of images]. Build me a texture for an old inside building wall"...and then have it look, evaluate, and create or choose. Because when I get to the point of trying to find some particular texture, or filing up a 'blank area in the composition' with greebles, nurnies and doodads...THAT takes far too much time.

But an AI "creating a model, scene, textures, composition and then animating something with feeling and emotion"? We are a LONG way off from that. And if/when that day comes, I think we'll have more serious things to worry about rather than if we have a job or not...
    ^_^

Paul L. Ming

=2x Xeon E5-2699v4, Asus Z10PE-D8WS, 128GB ECCDDR4 2400, 1x FirePro W9100 32gb, Samsung M.2 960 PRO 2TB, SB ZxR, 2x BENQ Zowie 27", Dell Ultrasharp U3417W, Cintiq 27" QHD Touch=

We human artists have one advantage over machines. Machines can't do drugs.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Ahh..I thought that was an disadvantage for us humans (in general)
    Just visit Swedish subways any given friday on summers...something aint right

But of course, for artistic sense enhancement, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
    Hiya!

I can see it being used as MonroePoteet indicates; as an intelligent "macro" to do something that would otherwise be easy, but time consuming. For example, being able to "feed in" a dozen pictures of a particular landscape (overgrown forest, or maybe rolling plains, or edges of a lake/pond, etc), and then tell the "AI" to "Generate Appropriate Ground Cover" by using assets in designated folders. The AI could take a "look" at all the pictures and think "Aaahhh...ok, here are a bunch of common things I'm seeing..." and then choose appropriate objects and populate the scene/designated-area.

I can see AI being useful for that. For an artist to tell it "I need some textures that look sort of 'creepy'. Here are some of what I mean...[plug in a folder of images]. Build me a texture for an old inside building wall"...and then have it look, evaluate, and create or choose. Because when I get to the point of trying to find some particular texture, or filing up a 'blank area in the composition' with greebles, nurnies and doodads...THAT takes far too much time.

But an AI "creating a model, scene, textures, composition and then animating something with feeling and emotion"? We are a LONG way off from that. And if/when that day comes, I think we'll have more serious things to worry about rather than if we have a job or not...
    vegetation and land creation, forrest..automaticly created by "AI" you just feed in some various parameters, certain climat, heat, humidity...how much of an area that is covered in shadows from larger plants..ergo the other smaller vegetation or grass may grow o not grow in a certain direction etc.

But really, we still only got a few goo geo creation tools, getting in to algorithms covering what type of soil and vegetaion and how the tree species should be..a massive undertaking to code, not even
    vue with itīs eco system is anywhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    IMO, it'd be better if we called it IA rather than AI: "Intelligent Assist" rather than "Artificial Intelligence".
    Totally agree. Ai is just too far away right now. Maybe in 30 years.

Wanna bet? :beer:
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

It depends what is meant with AI. Nowadays a lot of of technology is titled as AI, smart phone cameras, video / render denoisers, simple chat bots, puppets like Sophia etc. That's marketing BS to me.

Sophia - a big scam by the dubious Hanson Robotics - is a good example how people are tricked with fake AI, Sophia is just a mechatronic puppet running a chat bot using predefined scripts but the creators claim that it's alive, has emotions, is learning and able to think.

However real AI made great progress (neuronal networks / simulating animal brains or machine / deep learning) in the last couple of years. About a lot of stuff (if not the majority) we have probably never heard of because its confidential research or military application.

This video is from 04/17 but still interesting about what I consider to be AI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQO2PcEW9BY

In the next couple of years, a lot of lower end jobs will disappear certainly.

For 'AI' the 3D industry, the following presentation of Andrew Price is quite informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgLxSLsYWQ

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the Andrew Price aka Blender Guru AI video link was already posted.
    Last edited by Marander; 01-03-2019 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Ahh..I thought that was an disadvantage for us humans (in general)
    Just visit Swedish subways any given friday on summers...something aint right

But of course, for artistic sense enhancement, why not.
    As long as we're quoting William Vaughan in this thread, he once told our class, "Drugs don't make you a better artist. They just make you think you are."

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    As long as we're quoting William Vaughan in this thread, he once told our class, "Drugs don't make you a better artist. They just make you think you are."
    Of course, we could also substitute the word "intelligence" for "drugs":

"Intelligence doesn't make you a better artist. It just makes you think you are."

Drugs work for some people (e.g. caffeine, alcohol, sugar, etc. if not "recreational drugs") and they don't for others. A "one size fits all" approach to Art is pretty debilitating.

Yet again, just my opinion!

mTp

"Drugs don't make you a better artist. They just make you think you are."
    i'll copy him on this. i've done some in the past, legally that is, because of ADHD/ADD. and another by mistake.

no question about an effect, but certainly is totally hyped as far as art goes.

dreams give you way more impressive illusions. there are also programs/techniques that let you control your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

i'll copy him on this. i've done some in the past, legally that is, because of ADHD/ADD. and another by mistake.

no question about an effect, but certainly is totally hyped as far as art goes.

dreams give you way more impressive illusions. there are also programs/techniques that let you control your dreams.
    I can agree to it as well..at least I do perceive it like that from my perspective.

And for boasting..
    When I was around 13-15 years old, comparing myself to many others in our classes..which often smoked pot, I didnīt and still donīt, they really had half of the imagination to that of what I had..or at least
    they couldnīt portray it in a good way into their art in our class.

Ivé always been a daydreamer, and reality could..still can simple dissolve and all that is my daydream, and I also become more imaginary creative closer to being tired, so being up late may help get that connection.
    This has advantages sometimes, but can also impose problems where I donīt seem to listen in certain social events, Im kind of in my own bubble.

I did actuall try a joint at the age of 30, thatīs pretty stupid, why risc falling in to a dangerous habit at that age?..I took two inhales or something, didnīt do much for me..I became relaxed a bit more..but nothing that did anything else for me, and I thought that wasnīt something for me.
    And Dali?
    http://www.dailyartmagazine.com/artists-who-used-drugs/

I donīt drink beer at all, hardly any wine, donīt like champagne on new years eve either, every third or fourth month in summer..I may sip on a nice cider with 4,5 % alcohol..but it is rare.

Coffe may be the only real intake drug I get, but that is only in the morning..and when working 3 times a day.

Otherwise...3D is kind of a drug, to investigate what you can do with it etc.

I stand by my statement, machines can't do drugs. They can't even enjoy a Pepsi.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

- Salvador Dali
    Interrupted sleep. i've done similar things by accident, certainly can create fascinating effects. one should be careful doing that too much though. reason being >
    in a science program where students were continuously woken up once they fell asleep, all of them went bananas, some way or another, until they were allowed to sleep.
    Dali didn't do this though, afaik, he only did it once or so every day, so quite safe.

- Damien Hirst
    “I started taking cocaine and drink… I turned into a babbling ******* wreck.”
    this can also happen with lots of caffeine and alcohol. been there, and certainly taught me not to do that again.

the Dali method using Dreams is by far the best method, and also certainly the safest method.
    people just don't know about the Dali method.

I stand by my statement, machines can't do drugs. They can't even enjoy a Pepsi.
    when a digital machine is built based on the same principles as humans, it certainly can. however, sure, won't happen in the first 30 years.
    would that be a good thing though, once you get a machine that is 900% smarter than you? ... i would think not. it involves high risk.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-03-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast