Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How to make the guitar stick on the animated fbx character

  1. #1

    Smile How to make the guitar stick on the animated fbx character

    Hi
    I've made an animation with my character using Mixamo.com,
    resulting in an fbx animation of a guitar player -see example attached.

    Question is: How can fix a guitar to look "almost natural" in his hands.
    I just made a silly test to try it...
    BTW: I use LW 11.6

    Any suggestions out there?
    Although I've bee on and of this forum for many years I'm still a newbie and need an explanation, not keywords.

    Anyway, Iīd really appreciate for some help from you guys out there.

    Best Regards
    Alan Safewood

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Safewood View Post
    Hi
    I've made an animation with my character using Mixamo.com,
    resulting in an fbx animation of a guitar player -see example attached.

    Question is: How can fix a guitar to look "almost natural" in his hands.
    I just made a silly test to try it...
    BTW: I use LW 11.6

    Any suggestions out there?
    Although I've bee on and of this forum for many years I'm still a newbie and need an explanation, not keywords.

    Anyway, Iīd really appreciate for some help from you guys out there.

    Best Regards
    Alan Safewood
    Remove all keyframes from it and then parent it to a null or part of the skeleton so that it moves with that part only. The wrist should work

  3. #3
    Sounds like a good idea. Iīll get rid of those 4 keyframes, but how exactly do I parent it to something (wrist, stomach or something

  4. #4
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,547
    There are two ways to do that...

    Both use the Motion Options panel.

    1) Is to physically set the parent item in the motion options, be it a bone, null, mesh, etc.

    2) The other way is to use Position and Rotation constraints.
    2a) Create a null item and parent it to your character. Position it where you want the guitar.
    2b) Under translation, set your item, and choose world coordinates. for X,Y,Z, choose the "Same as Item" constraint. The item should move to the null.
    2c) Under rotation, repeat the above. The Item's orientation should match the null.
    2d) The item should follow the null, which you can use to adjust the orientation of the item in your character's hands.

    A third , somewhat clunkier way is to us Simple Item Constraints, but you'd have to set up one for position and another for rotation.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  5. #5
    Thanks a lot. I ended up with creating a null that was controlled by the Hips bone, then making a box (guitar) that was controlled by the null and moved to place. Now the box is following the Hips, and it looks quite nice. Almost like your solution nr. 1. Now I need to model an acoustic guitar...

    I guess I could skip the null and just let the Hips bone control the guitar?

    Anyway thanks :-)
    Last edited by Alan Safewood; 12-28-2018 at 06:35 PM.

  6. #6
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,547
    I would keep the null. It allows you to make adjustments independant of the skeleton.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  7. #7
    Registered User ianr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chiltern Riviera
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    I would keep the null. It allows you to make adjustments independant of the skeleton.

    null .....IS your friend!

  8. #8

    rr-tools

    $35 but might be worth it...
    https://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/rr-tools/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    I would keep the null. It allows you to make adjustments independant of the skeleton.
    What about the FBX? Is it possible to do a general turn in the shoulder/arm (with a null) as well? The right arm is going right through the guitar.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2018-12-30 kl. 20.55.06.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	143740

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Safewood View Post
    What about the FBX? Is it possible to do a general turn in the shoulder/arm (with a null) as well? The right arm is going right through the guitar.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2018-12-30 kl. 20.55.06.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	143740
    2 hours later:
    Iīm doing tweaking on the keys to make the left arm play on the neck of the guitar. Itīs a h**l of a job. Is it possible to have an additional null between the hand and the neck or something? Or will this collide with the other null?

    2 more hours:
    Dont manage to do it by tweaking keyframes. Iīm gonna make a hand to the guitar and pretend itīs a part of the character :-)
    Last edited by Alan Safewood; 12-30-2018 at 05:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,547
    This is one instance where IK on the arms would make things much easier. constrain the goals of the arms to a point where they'd follow the guitar, but be in the right place to strum or fret it. You could adjust the arm and elbow by the pole so that it would clear the instrument...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  12. #12
    Thanks. Iīve managed the right arm, but struggling with the left one now :-) Itīs much easier to do it in real life... https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=alan+safewood

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •