Thread: 850 Extreme - no video in or out

850 Extreme - no video in or out

Hi all,

We just got a used 850 Extreme (eBay purchase) and testing it out there is no video showing on any input or output monitor.

Connecting a known good signal to a camera input results in no video on a monitor, but we can insert a hard drive with content from another system and see it play in the (bottom) DDR window but not in the 'monitor' or Preview/Program section.

The 'switcher' mechanics seem to be doing something, the buttons show red/green as things transition but there's no video anywhere. All the monitors (Cameras 1-8, DDRs, Titles, Stills, etc are black, as well as the preview and program monitors. It appears that the audio is working because we see VU meter activity when playing back a clip in the DDR, but no video anywhere.

If it makes any difference this is an 'educational' unit that was surplused by a school in Georgia and the eBay seller bought it at an auction.

Acts like a hardware issue but I'm checking with the experts here before shipping it back to the seller. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Stu
    Technical Director at TvStudioForRent.com

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras
    Some Day we will be digital!

Have you checked the input configuration to make sure it's looking for the input type you're providing (i.e. SDI, Component, etc.)?

Even the DDR windows are black in the multiview? That sounds like a graphics card issue to me.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Yes, I'm feeding camera inputs with color bars from an NTSC signal generator and have set the input to SD 4:3 but just black shows in the monitor window. Tried several different camera inputs to be sure it wasn't just a dead input.

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

The DDR monitor windows, the title monitor window, the still monitor window - all are black.

In the DDR tab when I select a clip it shows an image of the clip (I thought it was moving video but it is static) and when I move the position slider the image in the DDR tab window does not move as it does on our other 850.

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

have you tried creating a new session?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    have you tried creating a new session?
    Yes Steve - new session or opening something already on a drive from another working 850 system, no video in any monitor window.

I did a screen shot - <http://www.carlafongphotography.com/TricasterBlankVideo.jpg> (can we upload pix here? couldn't figure out how

It appears audio may be working - VU meters are active in the monitor windows - but I didn't plug in headphones to verify.

Thanks for any help

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

Can you do a system restore? (Make sure you write down the SN and registration code first!)
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Can you do a system restore? (Make sure you write down the SN and registration code first!)
    Hi Kane,

We are in the process of (maybe) purchasing this system so the license key is unknown to us - the serial number is available.

Is there a way to recover the license key from the system to use for the restore? Otherwise it seems like a restore / recover would leave us worse off than before.

Or would doing a system restore give us a 'factory clean' system with watermarked video from which we could start from square one? If it clears the 'no video' problem then that would be a good thing.

Thanks in advance for the help

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

I am delighted to report that a Tricaster system restore brought the monitor video displays back to life.

Thanks everyone for the assistance. Now onward to registration and update to current software.

Stu

TCXD850, TCXD300, TC-550
    Old Sony DXC cameras

If I had gotten back in time, I was going to say that this information is available in the Administration Tools under 'Update Registration' (or something close to that).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.