Thread: Lightwave 3d version 5.6 Windows 10

Lightwave 3d version 5.6 Windows 10

Yes, I know 5.6 is ancient, but I have it and I'm trying to install it on a Windows 10 machine, but the CD drive
    can't open the setup.exe file. It seems that other people are running it on Windows 10.

How can I get this to install?

Thanks
    Steve

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedross View Post
    It seems that other people are running it on Windows 10.
    Who are these people? Should not you ask them?

Did you try using Windows 95 compatible-mode.. ?

Why anybody would like to run LW v5.6 on Win 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Who are these people? Should not you ask them?

Did you try using Windows 95 compatible-mode.. ?

Why anybody would like to run LW v5.6 on Win 10?
    Thanks for responding but, I didn't post this to be chastised. I posted it because I'm trying to get an
    answer to my issue.

If I can run in 95 mode, then I'll try that.

No idea if this is related, but I'm sure i read about some other software that can't be installed because the installer is 16bit.

There may be emulators to assist.

Worth a google at least...

Aside from issues with the "setup.exe", what are you doing about the hardware dongle? Isn't it a parallel port dongle? Does your Windows 10 machine support that port?

This has been discussed before (2013) https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132801
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    No idea if this is related, but I'm sure i read about some other software that can't be installed because the installer is 16bit.

There may be emulators to assist...
    You're most likely correct about 16-bit installers. I'd run a virtual machine of WinXP to run it and then copy the installed program files to the new Win10 system. LW is mostly portable. The only thing that actually needs installation in a current system is the sentinel hardware dongle drivers.

I can't recall what the LW5 installer looked like but it may be possible to directly grab the program files out of a CAB or installer file with 7-zip (https://www.7-zip.org/). There may be no need to run "setup.exe".
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Aside from issues with the "setup.exe", what are you doing about the hardware dongle? Isn't it a parallel port dongle? Does your Windows 10 machine support that port?

This has been discussed before (2013) https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132801
    I purchased a PCIEX parallel card which is recognized by Win. 10.

maybe try version 4

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    maybe try version 4

Are you running that on Windows 10?

I have 2, full Lightwave 5.6 Bundles that I purchased 20yrs. ago. I used it all of the time
    and can sit right back down with it and use it.

I purchased Lightwave 2018 and it's like starting over again.

nope windows7

I purchased Lightwave 2018 and it's like starting over again.
    honestly, not that different imo, just more features. stronger.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    nope windows7

honestly, not that different imo, just more features. stronger.
    They moved many things around, more crowed interface. These are not necessarily bad.
    They needed to add more functionality for the true 3D artists so they had to add things to
    it. I'm just a general hobbyist who loves the old interface and don't have the patience I once
    had to re-learn the software or where things are now located.

Lightwave 5.6 is so old that it is considered abandonware by some. I am very much against software piracy, but in this case (seeing you have the original and LW 2018) and 5.6 being two decades old, you might want to investigate the odd abandonware site.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Lightwave 5.6 is so old that it is considered abandonware by some. I am very much against software piracy, but in this case (seeing you have the original and LW 2018) and 5.6 being two decades old, you might want to investigate the odd abandonware site.
    What will that site do for me? And yes, I was a big Lightwave 3d user back in the day and LOVED the interface. Again, I had more patience back then.
    I am in contact with tech support and I can show them dongles, licenses, dead cats, whatever they need. As a matter of fact (not bragging) I even had
    an article in Amiga World. That's a laffer now.

Thanks for you help.
    Last edited by stevedross; 12-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Abandonware sites like vetusware.com and abandonia preserve and archive old versions of software and games for posterity. Often the legality is questionable, of course, and at the very least a (vast) grey area. For example, very old lightwave versions are archived on such sites.

Because old software often uses outdated, no longer functional security and licensing methods, abandonware archives generally host hacked versions from way back to allow them to run. Lightwave 5 used a parallel dongle, and most hardware no longer supports that - which explains why you invested in a parallel port card. The abandonware version of 5.6 doesn't require any licensing or dongles, and works "as-is".

Aside from the legal issues, I do think it is great that very old software and games are being preserved. I regard these as "special collections libraries". And arguably no-one would ever bother with these decades old versions to produce new commercial work with.

Anyway, I've read and heard stories from technical support of other software companies telling customers to just download the hacked abandonware versions to get them to function on newer systems.

Again, I do not condone software piracy at all. Yet ironically these old hacked versions are generally the only remaining viable option to run decades-old software and games in virtual machines and the like.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode