Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: depth map from a single photo

Just a suggestion: I did some anaglyph 3D images where I had to create depth maps manually from a single photo. A great tool for doing this was Affinity Photo (cheap and one-time payment). It's got superior gradient tools (which is easily interactively editable) compared to Photoshop and that's what made it so much easier to do. I tried Topaz Lens Effects but it was better (in this case) for me to do it in Affinity Photo. It has replaced Photoshop for me

Here's an example of what I did:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AffinityPhoto.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	143724

Name:	Depth Map (Blurred).png 
Views:	93 
Size:	866.2 KB 
ID:	143722

Name:	Anaglyph result.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	143723
    Last edited by Bitboy; 12-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bitboy View Post
    Just a suggestion: I did some anaglyph 3D images where I had to create depth maps manually from a single photo. A great tool for doing this was Affinity Photo (cheap and one-time payment). It's got superior gradient tools (which is easily interactively editable) compared to Photoshop and that's what made it so much easier to do. I tried Topaz Lens Effects but it was better (in this case) for me to do it in Affinity Photo. It has replaced Photoshop for me
    This is the second time Affinity has been mentioned. Looking at it again, it seems nice. And cheap! Way cheaper than PS. I may need a late xmas present to myself.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    This is the second time Affinity has been mentioned. Looking at it again, it seems nice. And cheap! Way cheaper than PS. I may need a late xmas present to myself.
    Ya, for the price it's worth picking up & tossing into the toolbag. I got it a month or so ago as I came across an issue with PS and OpenEXR's. I've not had any real issues using Illustrator otherwise I'd have picked up Designer too.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

I've been really happy with Affinity Photo and Designer. Trying out their new Publisher beta and it looks good. Shocker was that editing a PDF in there is way easier than doing it in Acrobat DC. So that might end up in the toolbag too Simply couldn't afford Adobe CC anymore. It's well worth the one time payment and they have loads of tutorials for each program. And a new update of Photo and Designer is right around the corner with new features.
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12