Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News about news in upcoming Lightwave updates or versions?

News about news in upcoming Lightwave updates or versions?

Anyone more informed than myself that are able to tell what plans Newtek have for the development of Lightwave?

Havenīt used Lightwave for a while now because the new version not only have advantages and even if some parts of the Lightwave 3D 2018 were stunning some of the render and work processes felt less interesting in wasting energy on.
    I know that some users often get mad when I pop up with my visions of what Lightwave could put more effort in when they update or make new versions. I especially announce the need of presets for hair, natural elements like water and plants just as much as real time booleans and character animation rigs automatically adapted to a body, but thatīs probably because I am not interested in processes that takes so much effort that it kills all creativity, at least for me.

Maybe I wish for more than there is and of course salute Newtekīs Lightwave for being a wall against the Autodesk monopoly.

Anyway best of wishes for a new and better 2019 for all of you!
    Curious

Me too i'm so curious about Lightwave 2019 and its releaseing time :-D
    Danger! Mad Scientist at work

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

would like to see a u.i overhaul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	possibleuioverhaul.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	143799

i would like to see a u.i overhaul, at least to have layout and modeler in the same window (attached is how i picture the layout and modeller in the same window)
    also want to see hair & Fur, physics simulations and much more stuff in future lightwave products

Quote Originally Posted by Franky6633 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	possibleuioverhaul.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	143799

i would like to see a u.i overhaul, at least to have layout and modeler in the same window (attached is how i picture the layout and modeller in the same window)
    also want to see hair & Fur, physics simulations and much more stuff in future lightwave products
    There already are hair and fur and physics, nothing new to see..you need to stress on that you want to see improved ones, not mentioning something we already have

Not a big fan of that picture of the layout modeler, itīs too cluttered and we start to get to many side menuīs as we do have in blender for instance..not a big fan of that..I think there are smarter ways to go about it by switching theme layout, hopefully they try to keep
    it as cleas as it is today, with some choices to switch layouts with presets, or a button only.

I agree on an overahaul ov the UI, that is mostly about fully resizable windows, probably docking options as adobe has it, I think this gives the most flexible hiding away and acessing windows, unless going blender modo window dragging that affects other windows, doing it the adobe way
    avoids that and keeps the main windows and other windows as they are mostly, yet being able to stack up menus exactly where you want them.

1. Otherwise we need instant color respons in the UI changes and not having to reboot to see it in effect, and we need to be able to several values at once.
    2. Foremost probably a majour undo fix in layout, it may not be possible though.
    3. we need a curve import svg format to work, which could allow for parametric curve changes and full 3d extrusion when needed.
    4. Getting Layout to recognize mesh and vertex to the point of mesh creation, deletion, and editing is probably a must very soon.
    5. Weight paint natively in layout and the option ot use that for fluid emission, particle emission...I really miss that.
    6. Sculpting in both layout and modeler.
    7. Bevel and rounding needs serious overhaul to work in modeler and in layout as well.
    8. Native GPU render solution.
    9. The fiberfx render speed needs overhaul, or do a new rewrite, it isnīt fast exactly, currently it is at a level that forces me to look elsewhere really, native solution of GPU as mentioned may help, or it will be non cost effective with octane, if that is the purpose of getting octane, advantage is if you can afford it and need it anyway of course.

Then we are starting to catch up..but itīs only catching up, what I mentioned in the above list, is something I can use a free software to deal with pretty well, if I am going to invest my money in to something, I wouldnīt expect anything less
    And that was really only the top of the iceberg really.

Ivé Just gone off topic, this was a thread about news about any eventual upcoming release, not a feature request...Sorry for that.

Not to be itchy but I wonder where the quick fire and liquid engine are and also where an immediate dynamic endless boolean solution that integrates borderless tree and vegetation functions to build forests and lanscapes in minutes. Ehm... I guess I already mentioned the lack of a fully functional C.A. part of LW, but if not, its a joke as it is now and since way back in time! I would also need a working concept for dynamic hair and cloth, not as it is now, too much guessing and months of hard work without even get close to a decent result. No matter what the experts say, they are just excellent experts that that unfortunately donīt live in my software.

Fur, what can I say more than there must be loads of presets to not get crazy. How hard would it be for the Lightwave team that always say that its easy done to build ten presets of hair that easy could be editable to fit the purpose? If the same concept was added to most of the functions in LW that today and since day one takes a lifetime to conquer I guess LW would be one of the leading softwares again!

Maybe it was only a dream but I am awake now
    Last edited by jaxtone; 01-05-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Curious

i will do devil's advocade.
    developing software need resource, resource arrive with new software or better new users.

we can thought in different branch of work.

new user... documentation with wiky is too weak.
    Old Pdf are better, and if an old user (from 3.5 amiga like me) can download all pdf, new user not have it.

new advertising
    many people think lw is dead, lw is not developed from many years and more, you need to do a better advertising about software.

educational free or near free
    if you want to build a new users base you need to fight against autodesk that deliver all software free to student and teacher for years
    and deliver them a lots of learning stuff

refresh to software, interface and concept
    clean up all clones of tools, too much bevels, extrusion and more, reduce to one or two tools with all option
    add TONS TONS TONS of preset to help newbey to start fast to do materials, light, set limbo, render settings, GI settings, Multipass settings, to speed up intial workflow

you must give people reason to use lw instead of free and powerful Blender... if you not work in that direction... lw will be like real3d, like other software that did history of CGI but actually too old to use.

all that i told need very few work of software developing but a lots of users work for preset, optimization and more. you can do, and you can have a new software....

ah and you can think to change the name and sell only importer fbx, collada, etc to import in layout and render... think to sell also render engine only, it's good, fast and well developed, think to sell like single interface or plugin for other software, think to load a layout where you can hide most of tools, leave only materials, light, render tools, and importer and you have render tool with netrender and more.

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

make it cheaper. one can't expect many people to pay $1000 when a free App X has better features.

that's the current situation.

unless a drastic LW change comes along.
    good start with LightWave 2018, but again, the challenge against App X remains.
    can the $1000 price tag be defended? only to a certain degree.
    Last edited by erikals; 01-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

No commercial package can defend their pricing compared to Blender. LW is still a reasonable price compared to C4D and Autodesk. LW is never going to have all the features so focus on performance and workflow. Don't spread the program too thin.

just giving an inevitable forecast, also seen by Maya/Max/C4D.

i'm sure NewTek knows this though, and will have an upcoming strategy.

Lw have the right price, too cheaper is seen like not value, it's old but real big business law.
    If cost few bucks it value few bucks. Open Source, low cost often are seen like low quality.
    I know perfectly that is not a real value, you can see Resolve, the software used to manage color correction of Starwars' Solo cost only 299$ (today), everyone can buy it, and many people think is crap only be cause cost few bucks...
    but is more difficult to fight against prejudice then fight against bug and features lacks.

yes, but i'm not saying to make LightWave free, just lower the cost. or the alternative, Up the quality/features.

anyways, looking forward to LW2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    LW is never going to have all the features so focus on performance and workflow.
    Alas, that means focusing highly on UX and UI, something Newtek for whatever reason has been very reluctant to do. It means fixing basic lacks (like undo in Layout) as well, stuff modern users simply won't tolerate -- which also includes silent failures over error messages, user data/config corruption failures, and other workflow killers of that ilk, of which LW has _many_.

I think LW could have a bright future, but doing so means a radical change in how they manage and direct LW development, and where they focus LW dev efforts. It's not too late quite yet, but that window's almost completely closed.

Unfortunately, there's a fairly extensive historical record demonstrating Newtek's lack of willingness to make lasting changes in LW direction even when it costs LW major customer base attrition and revenue loss. That history leads me to believe that there is no basis for expecting the kind of changes needed any time soon.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by pixelinfected View Post
    Lw have the right price, too cheaper is seen like not value, it's old but real big business law.
    If cost few bucks it value few bucks. Open Source, low cost often are seen like low quality.
    I know perfectly that is not a real value, you can see Resolve, the software used to manage color correction of Starwars' Solo cost only 299$ (today), everyone can buy it, and many people think is crap only be cause cost few bucks...
    but is more difficult to fight against prejudice then fight against bug and features lacks.
    If blender would have a price of 1 dollar, or 50 ..or 400, I wouldnīt consider it getting more value, just less...so your statement I donīt follow.

I think the problem may lay in that it isnīt as full in the box as Houdini..which is specificly aimed for heavy effects, pricing comes with that, and cinema4d with mograph and lots of other stuff, better TurbulenceFD support etc.
    3d max is also a heavy vfx player nowadays, (keep track on Alan McKay) and max has for a long time been there with vray for architechture, then you of course got maya.

Seems like modo and Lightwave places itself in the lower range..which could be dangerously if a free open source can manage most of what lw and modo does, and can also do much more natively, either they need to drop the pricing from current to even lower and continue to develop in the rate they do know, or really put some effort on catching up on the bigger boys..and probably raise the price a bit, when there are so good free tools nowadays, I suspect it will kick out the lower end software in the end.

I could probably accept a higher pricing of Lightwave..just for the sake of continue to develop a software that falls behind some of the free software.
    That would mean no to a third party fluid solution and I would demand a fluid simulation that works with the same volumetric update as lightwave got, I do not want to live in uncertainty for half a year weather or not a third party fluid engine will be compatible or not.
    I would also demand scultping and weight paint in native lightwave, and modeling tools in layout, and parametric stuff.

With that I would probably accept a higher price, but it still needs to compete against houdini and cinema in pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Up the quality
    This is the real answer (upping quality, in all aspects), and historically represents an area where FOSS projects have a difficult time competing in any lasting manner. Such efforts aren't "fun" for the devs, and they don't add to feature bullet-points, but there's a reason so many of LW's competitors have been quietly (or in some cases, quite openly) upping their quality and customer satisfaction game for years now -- precisely because they recognize it's value as FOSS differentiation.

Let's hope LW2019 brings some evidence of serious changes in LW engineering management and direction. I've see negligible evidence of such changes in LW2018.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-06-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

User experience and GUI design in FOSS software like Krita has arguably left behind some of the industry giants in specific areas (digital painting in the case of Krita). Krita's GUI experience as a digital painter works just as well, if not better, than Photoshop or Painter because the developers listen very well to their users. It is a joy to use, in my opinion as a digital artist.

The elephant in the room is the upcoming 2.8 release of the open source 3d alternative: the GUI is modern, slick-looking, and very much an overhaul of the original 2.79 version (which isn't that bad in the first place). Hiring a properly trained professional User Experience Designer made all the difference indeed.

Add all the other eye-candy and new original features, and with legions of developers working on interesting (new) free and commercial (inexpensive) add-ons, new books being released, masses of video tutorials being produced for it... The community is VAST. And more and more is it accepted in studio workflows. It's going to get tough for lower-end commercial 3d software that doesn't look half as good, nor can offer even a tenth of the content available for it.

Point is that these mainstream open source options are no longer "unpolished" or unaware of the user experience.

I agree with Erikals and JWiede: it's an uphill struggle for Lightwave, and I feel the cost needs to come down, as well as the GUI updated. The ball is in the court of Lightwave's development team. If I were them, I'd feel somewhat intimidated by the open source storm blowing their way - or rather, with the storm already happening they will need to weather it. Although I hardly use Lightwave anymore, I do hope they will deliver 'the goods' this next update. Something needs to happen to Modeler now.

I wish the LW team the best of luck in 2019. They'll need it. And yes, I sincerely hope Lightwave WILL make a comeback, because the market needs the competition. Otherwise chances are it'll become polarized between expensive commercial packages and the free open source option, and I feel that wouldn't be a good thing.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast