Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alita's huge eyes fixed by making them bigger.

Alita's huge eyes fixed by making them bigger.

https://www.slashfilm.com/alita-battle-angel-eyes-fixed

Just came across this story. Well, I guess it takes a James Cameron to fix something the exact opposite way of what everyone thought and still pretty much make it work.

Interesting how that worked out. I found the eyes looked disturbing in the first teaser, and really didn't in the more recent material. Size itself wasn't the issue, especially for an anime robotic character, but conformation. Hmmmm.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

people have extraordinary abilities to read eye expressions, so a tweak of 1 mm more or less has a Huge impact

good to see it adjusted.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

But it's still quite intersting that even productions at that level can "goof it up" in the first place....

I think I once I read an article that James Cameron wanted to achieve some sort of effect and was told it was impossible, but Rob Powers stepped forward and showed him in Lightwave. I think it had to do with some aspect of VFX realtime filmmaking. Can anyone remember the source at all ?
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.

That's interesting. I still have issues with the casting but artistically that was an improvement.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

It could have been one of the items listed here:
    https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/rob-pow...nd-more-avatar
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/av...rt_department/
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...rt-department/

As for Alita, it's packed full of high-detail CGI and tons of live-action/CG composites. Plus it makes good use of 3D. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrookes View Post
    It could have been one of the items listed here:
    https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/rob-pow...nd-more-avatar
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/av...rt_department/
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...rt-department/

As for Alita, it's packed full of high-detail CGI and tons of live-action/CG composites. Plus it makes good use of 3D. Definitely worth seeing in the theater.
    I definitely enjoyed it, although they could have moved the story forward just a little faster; there were some parts that left me a wee bit snoozy.

I just saw it in the theater and for the most part I liked it. The only thing that disappointed me was the ending seemed truncated so they could setup a sequel.

I did not like the original eyes, but they fixed it, and it worked well. Still not sure it was necessary for her to have big eyes, since her eyes were big in the manga for art style reasons, not because they were supposed to be unnaturally huge. Still, it gives the character a "look" for the film, so it won't be confused with other films.

The movie is definitely worth seeing. Lots of cool stuff, action and good performances. They followed the manga really close, which is great for fans, but it also did result in the ending probably seeming abrupt to non-fans. The movie covers about the first 3 of 9 volumes, so the story is just started. It gets better as it goes. Can't wait for the sequels.

It's a lot better than the marketing made it look. The main character's CG is probably the best ever done for a character who is in almost every scene of a movie.

reminded me a bit of the LW 2018 sss render style...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I enjoyed this film a lot more than Wonder Woman. It's good to see an anime/manga well-adapted by Hollywood. Maybe we can get a Violet Evergreen adaption too since they accomplished the cybernetics to well.

On the issue of the eyes, their use of another co-star helped explain it a little bit. I just put it down to stylistic approach with a minor back story.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoyed this film a lot more than Wonder Woman. It's good to see an anime/manga well-adapted by Hollywood. Maybe we can get a Violet Evergreen adaption too since they accomplished the cybernetics to well.

On the issue of the eyes, their use of another co-star helped explain it a little bit. I just put it down to stylistic approach with a minor back story.
    Last edited by Chuck; 03-01-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: requested by poster
    System:

I loved the CG, but the film felt a complete failure for me. The dialogue was an endless stream of really tired clichés, the worst of which was one character saying they'd never do something in the most emphatic tones brooking no argument, then doing that very thing 20 minutes later. It's not one I'll be adding to my film collection.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I loved the CG, but the film felt a complete failure for me. The dialogue was an endless stream of really tired clichés, the worst of which was one character saying they'd never do something in the most emphatic tones brooking no argument, then doing that very thing 20 minutes later. It's not one I'll be adding to my film collection.

B

Christ, I know it's not easy to get film made, but I feel that this script fails like Ben has mentioned.

There are truly, unbelievable 'car crashes' in your further enjoyment of the plot. There's no excuse other

than Cameron will not take on any scripting advice as he has been in Emperor mode a long time now.

I remember thinking that 'Avatar' in Plot terms was soo cliche and a very tired retread in development

hell as a script. This movie has none of the pizzazz Rupert Sanders brought to the table in Scarlett

Johansson's 'Ghost in the Shell'. In fact, I think that it has been 'laid down' in cellar terms since the

original manga by Mamoru Oshii waiting for a Cameronesque gloss take on it, and it shows stale to me.

BTW Do we know if Rob P. worked on pre-viz again, I didn't catch the credits.
    Last edited by ianr; 02-26-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    I enjoyed this film a lot more than Wonder Woman.

I don't know why I can't go back and edit that post.
    System:

I'm wondering that myself, since Cameron said that "Team Avatar" worked on Alita.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast