Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Illustrator 'Shape Builder Tool' in LW?

Question Adobe Illustrator 'Shape Builder Tool' in LW?

Hey,

Does any1 know how we can replicate the Adobe Illustrator 'Shape Builder Tool' in LightWave?

This tool makes live so much easier for creating shapes.

Greetings,
    Sigurd

Isn't that lwcad's area of strength? In looking at examples, that's what I see as 'most like' the Shape builder tool.

yeah, but somehow I can't get it to work. Think of a celtic knot for example. If you draw the circles and want to fill in the empty space, it doesn't work, you have to do a lot manual.

I've used LWCad for Celtic knotwork.

1) Use the line tool to lay out your shape.
    2) With your object snaps set to incude Point and End, use the pipe tool to create your lattice. Have it set to square.
    3) Go back and move segments up and down so they weave in and out of each other.
    4) Toggle SubD's and surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barretts4.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	143668
    (old, old work. Lightwave 9.6, or 10.1, I forget.)

Flat shapes could be done by drawing out the curves, freezing them, Extending them down, then thickening them...?
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Hi Kryslin,

This method is perfect when you want to make woven parts (thanks for the tips).

I'm looking to make something like the following (yes, with the gaps and all): https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.4010...0,075,f.u1.jpg

Greetings,
    Sigurd

If you have adobe ai then you are set. Export as epsf. Import into lw and go.

yeah, *if* you have Adobe Illustrator... that's the reason why I'm asking how to do it in LW. I was hoping it was possible with LWCad somehow, but haven't found it yet.

another way would be to use free inkscape, you can save out celtic pattern in SVG format, import to blender and that will be a curve object which can be filled in various ways, and all the main handles can be edited..a feature you can not get with eps to lightwave.
    it is fully editable, animatable etc..and if you need to, you convert it to a mesh, you may have to adjust the mesh polyflow depending on what you want, then you can send it to Lightwave if it is absolutely necessary..and you will get the mesh, lightwave can not handle SVG format though unlike blender.

I think you may have hit upon the issue: in any and all programs, some manual work will be needed.

InLW:
    On your celtic object, make the circle, make the knot.
    Snake a spline through where the white spaces are. If you can, make it all one.
    Using Road Lines, make that line the right thickness.
    Boolean/trim, what have you, that shape from the circle and knot.
    That would get you there. The single spline is quite handy and less stressful. ha.

Is it 1 or 100 patterns you need to do? If it’s just one or two, make it manualy. I would guess that the time spent on posting here has taken as long as to make it maually in modeler.

It depends how good this all works when 3D printed . If it looks good, I will make more than just a few. I'm creating some manual using box-modeling and pipe tool like Kryslin suggested.

Indeed.
    Here's a start:CelticKnot_v001.lwo
    This is a rough start on that pic you shared.
    It has lwcad splines and polys.

I'm curious, Ztreem: what would you suggest for 100 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    yeah, *if* you have Adobe Illustrator... that's the reason why I'm asking how to do it in LW. I was hoping it was possible with LWCad somehow, but haven't found it yet.
    Affinity Designer is on sale for the holiday. Forty Bucks. That's it. No Adobe extortion.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/

Having a vector based program for this sort of thing is kinda basic, actually for most motion graphics related work. Ya, you can do all of this in Modeler... eventually. But why? At some point you have to decide what your time is worth.

If you work in After Effects, or plan to at all, your're going to want to explore vector files a LOT more.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

I own Afiinity Designer, but they also lack this tool. I know, it's on their roadmap...

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    I own Afiinity Designer, but they also lack this tool. I know, it's on their roadmap...
    Again...just install free inkscape, save files as svg, which is the native inkscape format, import to blender and make the vector curves 3d curves, or 3d flat shapes, all parametric in blender, with full spline editing control,
    alt c to bring up the curves to mesh option, to freeze it as a mesh, then send to lightwave.
    Inkscape svg files is also great to have for creating shapes that imports to fusion if you use that, for hud stuff and much much more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast