Thread: The Untangle command/tool

The Untangle command/tool

Hi, all. I'm a beginner, I'm following Dan Ablan's 3D Garage, and he has revealed the "untangle" command, under the Modify/Translate category. Ablan points out that it is a tricky and unreliable tool, and I am ready to agree with him, but it does serve a purpose. Assuming that there isn't a better alternative than Untangle, can anyone enlighten me on what it is that most people do wrong to yield a roughly 80% failure rate? Failing that, is there a more reliable tool for turning square objects into square-and-round objects?
    BC

There is a better way : It's called sub-D modeling. I used the Untangle tool once - when I read through Dan's book.

Thank you. Suspicions confirmed. I paid a reasonable price for the 3D Garage tutorials, and I expect to continue to use them, but the untangle tool is a MESS. I just sent 3D G a note to that effect. I will start looking into Sub-D modeling.
    Last edited by Birck Cox; 12-17-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: fairness
    BC

More info on Untangle

Quote Originally Posted by Birck Cox View Post
    Thank you. Suspicions confirmed. I paid a reasonable price for the 3D Garage tutorials, and I expect to continue to use them, but the untangle tool is a MESS. I just sent 3D G a note to that effect. I will start looking into Sub-D modeling.
    Dear CCC, I received a reply from Dan Ablan. According to him, Untangle has got worse since that tutorial came out, and he thinks the gibberish results occur because of some mismatch between the plane of the circle and the overall axis of the object. To quote him:
    "A work around I’ve done is to rotate the model then try again. It seems to work differently depending on how the model was originated, and on what axis."
    I'm willing to spend a few hours trying to sort that out-nobody's paying me to do this, and maybe I'll learn something.
    BC

You might take a look at erikals demonstration video on Untangle from back in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2OzwO0zWU

mTp

Untangle is broken, or iow, doesn't work like it should. manual correction is needed.
    i'm sure it has been reported, however if you want to, no harm in reporting it twice.

Last edited by erikals; 12-17-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

(nvm, untangle's broken, not much more to say)
    Last edited by jwiede; 12-17-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    You might take a look at erikals demonstration video on Untangle from back in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou2OzwO0zWU

mTp
    Thanks for the reference. So it can be useful. He was using-what? LW v. 11? and makes it look easy. Aaaaargh. Too bad it's simply a "demo". Erikals doesn't bother naming his tools. modes, etc.
    BC

Yes, erikals produces a *lot* of demonstration videos, very valuable IMO, but I wouldn't call them "tutorials". He's been doing them for years, is very comfortable with all the Modeler tools, and often there is one or more "A Miracle Occurs" steps in the demo due to that very familiarity.

I think they're very valuable though, since he doesn't wait until he's got a nice, formal tutorial with all steps documented before he "shows what he knows", and is able to cover lots and LOTS of tools. I tend to capture them to my local disk and then pause / continue at various points as the menu pulldowns fly by!

Thanks to erikals for all the videos!

RE: the original problem, you might take a look at Heat Shrink. Put a Disc in the background layer with the same number of points as the quad mesh you want to "circularize" (hey, any noun can be verbed!), align to the normal of the quad mesh, and then apply Heat Shrink. Don't know what you're really trying to accomplish.

mTp

Thanks to erikals for all the videos!
    You are Very Welcome!  

and yep, that's why i call them "previews"

Use MF Circlify instead. Can be found here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...y/mf-circlify/
    When you run it it's going to be missing a plugin called Spherize.p - this is a Legacy plugin and is locked up in a .zip file on your C drive in the LW install. Unzip it and load it and you'll be good to go.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

installed it but no, MFC doesn't work as it used to, was told by MF it had to do with a change in the Modeler code

Maybe I'm using an old version - as it works perfectly.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Thanks, mTp, and Erikals, for the demo. It appears that the gnomes of Lightwave solved the Untangle problem. The 3D Garage tutorial is a bit out of date. The Erikals demo, to which I was referred by mTp, shows Untangle doing its job, accurately, in about half the steps I was expecting. I tried it, using LW2015, and it works. On with the tutorials!
    BC