Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I'm not interested in Windows-MacOS wars" (and yet ...)

Top Dog

"I'm not interested in Windows-MacOS wars" (and yet ...)

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, just a quick comment: While they're available for LW on Windows, they are not (yet?) available for Mac LW. As a result, for LW2018 customers on Mac, the issues associated with their absence are still very real.
    Sorry to go off topic, but I'm curious John: why do you stick with Mac? I finally stopped fighting against Windows this year and it opened up "windows" of opportunities. I can now use all the software that I couldn't before, including a wealth of LW plugins. Apple gave up on its professional Mac users, so I gave up on Apple. Now instead of buying the underwhelming hardware at 2x (closer to 3x), I have a lot more choices. Instead of having some weird touch panel on the keyboard on my laptop, I can have a touchscreen display. In fact, for the amount that it cost for a low-end MacBook Pro, I bought an Ultrabook 2-in-1 and a workstation class 17" laptop with a proper Nvidia GPU.

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    why do you stick with Mac?.
    ..sigh.

You make your choices and let the rest of us make ours. It's cool to be a Windows user and cool to be a Mac user.
    Last edited by pauland; 12-15-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ..sigh.

You make your choices and let the rest of us make ours. It's cool to be a Windows user and cool to be a Mac user.
    Fair enough. Believe me, I was in the Mac cult until this year. As I sit at my home desk, I have my Mac Pro cheese grater next to my leg gathering dust and a stack of a decades worth of various Mac minis and MacBook Pros sitting on my shelf.

At a time, I myself had a rationale for "keeping the faith." I am just curious what keeps people tied to the Mac OS (and hardware). My last hold out was for Mac only software like Final Cut Pro (and this is a very compelling reason - no other editor has some of its real-time rendering capabilities).

LW Watcher
    I'm not a heavy LW user, but I smile when I use my Mac and enjoy using it in a way I never did as a Windows user. I should say that My favourite OS was Unix, I loved WindowsNT and windows seemed to be the OS that was forever being updated, had broken drivers, updates that wouldn't complete and computers that looked boring.

I kissed goodbye to all that when I started using Macs and when my phone rings I answer it using my Mac, I send my texts using my Mac . The whole extended family has bought into Apple's infrastructure. All our Apple equipment is second-user or discounted, but I'd rather have a second-user Mac than a new windows box.

There are some new things out where windows boxes look fantastic and the surface machines look interesting, but for the moment I'm perfectly happy with Apple stuff.

Do I think Apple is a greedy company charging too much? Absolutely.

If I was a heavy-duty LW user I might well have a windows box because of the grunt-to-cost ratio.

I'm not interested in Windows-MacOS wars.
    Last edited by pauland; 12-15-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    I'm not interested in Windows-MacOS wars
    Burn the heathen... burn him, I say!
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

LW Watcher
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelhill View Post
    burn the heathen... Burn him, i say!
    lol

Not touching this with a ten foot pole. Mods should just close the thread.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Do I think Apple is a greedy company charging too much? Absolutely.

If I was a heavy-duty LW user I might well have a windows box because of the grunt-to-cost ratio.

I'm not interested in Windows-MacOS wars.
    The real answer is to simply have both & use what's best & comfortable for the particular task.

They both have their pluses & minuses. Howver as more & more higher end graphics apps go the GPU route, the die is pretty much already cast it seems.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

This would never be an issue if NewTek just offered LW for Linux.

When you work with computers long enough, you realize they all suck and none of them deserve affection or loyalty. Satisfy affection by adopting a shelter dog.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Top Dog
    I know that I'm a hypocrite because I use to call foul against Windows-bias and claim trolling when someone would bash Mac. Yet, here I am!

Yes, please close; I know better than to talk "religion" in these here forums!

LW Watcher
    Well, the thread was originally about whether modeller had changed much in LW 2018 and it hasn't. I was looking to do some modelling for my 3D printer and I considered the LW 2018 upgrade but it would have been pretty pointless from a modelling perspective.

For the purposes of making 3D models I've just purchased Moment of Inspiration - non polygonal and in my opinion blows the LW modeller away, however there's never going to be fine control over polygon count.

Does nobody here use non-polygonal modellers with LW?

I just couldn't see myself making stuff like this with the LW modeller: https://www.koturanovic.com/view/22/
    Last edited by pauland; 12-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.

LW Watcher
    Man, so suddenly my comment morphed me into another thread. Jeez.

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Does nobody here use non-polygonal modellers with LW?
    Not personally but I receive data from engineers to render in LW. They speak a completely different modeling language than me, leading to interesting communication.

There are plenty of ways to generate 3D structures. All have their own unique benefit. A good companion to LW is an actual CAD program. FreeCAD ( https://www.freecadweb.org/ ) is a low cost (free) entry into CAD and any python skills you develop can be used with both FreeCAD and LW.

For me, LW2018 modeler has changed drastically in the past year as I added LWCAD, 3rdpowers and Trueart plugins. And I'm still doubling back to check out plugins I somehow missed, like free 64bit updates from Pictrix. https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...P_MOVE-x64-bit
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

It's sad. All the people who have sold out and are no longer running Lightwave on the Amiga, as it should be......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast