Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76

Thread: Any reason to upgrade yet?

  1. #61
    Top Dog
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,057
    Also Oliver is actively talking about new OD Toolset updates for LW 2019. If he’s allowed to talk about it, LW 2019 must be near.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    776
    There is a glut of LW2018 piracy on Ebay, which is a bit strange since I never saw previous versions there, but I do hope NT clamp down on that sort of thing as it can only hurt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	143632

    Similar other listings too.
    Mod, delete this post if it hinders rather than helps.

  3. #63
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,398
    I've been using LWcad's snapping tools to create somewhat precise hard surface terrain for war gaming prints. I just find modeler's capabilities in general less glitchy than other modelers I've used. What I do is create walls and columns out of several overlapping pieces. All the pieces are water tight. I then take them over into zbrush and separate them with a few clicks so that each piece is a separate subtool. I then boolean them all together with a single click using Live Boolean. The results are very clean, just have to make sure your base geometry is clean and water tight. So no, I don't see a reason to upgrade for this type of thing but I would recommend getting zbrush for the boolean and decimating tool alone.

    The only thing I wish modeler had is native snapping and an easier way to create objects/group selections. Layers are way too fiddly for dividing up geometry into smaller groups.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

  4. #64
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,973
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I've been using LWcad's snapping tools to create somewhat precise hard surface terrain for war gaming prints. I just find modeler's capabilities in general less glitchy than other modelers I've used. What I do is create walls and columns out of several overlapping pieces. All the pieces are water tight. I then take them over into zbrush and separate them with a few clicks so that each piece is a separate subtool. I then boolean them all together with a single click using Live Boolean. The results are very clean, just have to make sure your base geometry is clean and water tight. So no, I don't see a reason to upgrade for this type of thing but I would recommend getting zbrush for the boolean and decimating tool alone.

    The only thing I wish modeler had is native snapping and an easier way to create objects/group selections. Layers are way too fiddly for dividing up geometry into smaller groups.
    Yep..a bit too fiddly.
    We can create point sets for each unconnected segment in one layer( or connected if needed) and recalll that in the statistics panel..If you are in point mode that is, then from the statistics panel you can choose which ever set you have created, but itīs not very fluent since you have to select the set part, then click on + or - to select it..and it will only work with point selection and gives a point selection back, so you have to convert selection to poly when you need that.




    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	point sets.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	143633

  5. #65
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,398
    Hi Prometheus,

    Yup, I did try that method. While it usually works even when changing the topology of the mesh, my sets were breaking on me for some reason regardless. I can't remember why exactly it did that though. But my main problem with the selection sets and parts system (works with polygons) is that I would then have to remember which parts/meshes belonged to which name. It's a funny thing when working on a large amount of pieces, relying on a drop down menu to find that specific part name so you can copy or move it lol. There doesn't appear to be a way to simply click on the viewport to select a part/set.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

  6. #66
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    6,962
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    There is a glut of LW2018 piracy on Ebay, which is a bit strange since I never saw previous versions there, but I do hope NT clamp down on that sort of thing as it can only hurt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	143632

    Similar other listings too.
    Mod, delete this post if it hinders rather than helps.
    Aspect ratio matters!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  7. #67
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    14,973
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Hi Prometheus,

    Yup, I did try that method. While it usually works even when changing the topology of the mesh, my sets were breaking on me for some reason regardless. I can't remember why exactly it did that though. But my main problem with the selection sets and parts system (works with polygons) is that I would then have to remember which parts/meshes belonged to which name. It's a funny thing when working on a large amount of pieces, relying on a drop down menu to find that specific part name so you can copy or move it lol. There doesn't appear to be a way to simply click on the viewport to select a part/set.
    Forgot to mention detail/ and part set ..if anyone would create sets from polygon instead of point sets.

    However as you say..itīs not very good implemented for groups or parts, we could use an item mode for this, or a single click select connected ( why donīt we have a scripter to do that ?)

    There is a tool that can work semidecently, it will not actually select the part/segments for further editing in selected mode, but it will drag move a connected part if you need to move separate, it is Translate/snap drag and check connected points.

    Though far better would be to have a select connected tool that works in a single mouse click, which allows for highlight selecting the part for further editing with any modeling tool you need to, if there were to be a select group tool or part tool that also works on several unconnected segments and not just connected ones, that would be great.

  8. #68
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,398
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Forgot to mention detail/ and part set ..if anyone would create sets from polygon instead of point sets.

    However as you say..itīs not very good implemented for groups or parts, we could use an item mode for this, or a single click select connected ( why donīt we have a scripter to do that ?)

    There is a tool that can work semidecently, it will not actually select the part/segments for further editing in selected mode, but it will drag move a connected part if you need to move separate, it is Translate/snap drag and check connected points.

    Though far better would be to have a select connected tool that works in a single mouse click, which allows for highlight selecting the part for further editing with any modeling tool you need to, if there were to be a select group tool or part tool that also works on several unconnected segments and not just connected ones, that would be great.
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised after all these years there is not a tool to select an entire connected set of geometry with a single click. Even then however, I often need to group several water tight "objects" together for easy select-ability. Which I'm often forced to use layers for. It's ok, just not ideal.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    Also Oliver is actively talking about new OD Toolset updates for LW 2019. If he’s allowed to talk about it, LW 2019 must be near.
    my OD 2019 toolset update has nothing to do with or when the next version of lightwave is going to be released. Its simply another calendar year for me, where I feel I've done OD2018 proud and can move onto OD2019.

    Best,
    Oliver
    Oliver

    OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

  10. #70
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Yeah, I'm kinda surprised after all these years there is not a tool to select an entire connected set of geometry with a single click.
    Not sure I understand, are you asking for something other than what "Select Connected" (']') does? It takes a click plus a keystroke, granted, but still pretty darned quick.
    Last edited by jwiede; 12-17-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Not sure I understand, are you asking for something other than what "Select Connected" (']') does? It takes a click plus a keystroke, granted, but still pretty darned quick.
    It would be better if it didn't use a keystroke at all but a double click.

  12. #72

    double click is kinda no-no at times with Wacom, so an option would be nice.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    double click is kinda no-no at times with Wacom, so an option would be nice.
    My former and current Wacom were able to double click and had a setting to set the double click distance(you can even set one of the buttons on the stylus to mean double click). Are there ones that aren't able to double click for some reason?

  14. #74

    Are there ones that aren't able to double click for some reason?
    the problem is often the other way around DC by mistake

    double click distance
    albeit this is older (Bamboo Medium) some don't have the option
    edit; actually, forgot, but checking again it does have it. could be a solution, perhaps.


    no problem though, all i'd need is an option to turn it off.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-17-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  15. #75
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,497
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    It would be better if it didn't use a keystroke at all but a double click.
    Agreed, that'd be a nice option.

    That said, if you're willing to lose double-click event (or reprogram it to something else) for Modeler, you could always configure double-click to yield "LMB click (short pause) ']'".
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •