Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABout NDI and Unreal Engine

ABout NDI and Unreal Engine

Hello,

last year there was the announce of a collaboration between Newtek and Unreal to bring NDI to UE4. But at this time I only found a guy who developes a plugin that needs to be somehow loaded in a custom compilated version of the Unreal Engine. Something far from user friendly.

The last version of Unreal offers tools for Virtual Production with pre installed plugin for Blackmagic and Aja, but not a single line for NDI support.

Do you have any information about this pre-announced feature?

I'm wondering this as well. Hopefully it is still in Epics plans to add native NDI support. It's dissapointing it hasn't been implemented. Some pretty awesome possibilities here.

Yeah, the problem here is that there is no official response to whom asking news about this plugin. After the announcement just silence.

I am so disappointed by the silence on this topic. What's the point on making such a blatant annouce and then just disappear?
    Also I see unreal for virtual set is becoming more and more popular nowadays, what is the problem Newtek, not selling too much VSE anymore?

I wait for an official response on where is the NDI plugin you announced, Newtek.

I'm not aware of NewTek announcing any plug-in for Unreal Engine. The announcement was that there is support for NDI in Unreal Engine. Yes, the plug-in as to be supported by the developer to be written into their application in Unreal Engine.

Here is an example of this in use.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/nickelod...-con-with-ndi/

This isn't a 'just makes all Unreal Engine applications have NDI support' type thing, it has be developed into the game/application.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

In Merovingio’s defense...The announcement here does seem to indicate that epic was to add support and doesn’t mention a plugin. With the new virtual studio stuff with Aja and blackmagic it certainly makes sense for epic to have better integration.

https://www.newtek.com/1399-ue4-ndi/

I'm not an Unreal developer, so I can't speak to the differences between a plug-in or what is built in. Just for reference, AJA and BMD support at this point is considered an early access feature according to the Unreal documentation.

Despite any of that, I think the main thing to realize is that this feature is more for developers. Not to say that end users can't take advantage of it, but it is up to the the developer to add the support, so the end user can take advantage of it.

There are already products in the market using Unreal and NDI together. As I understand Zero Density and Brainstorm are both using Unreal Engine to create virtual sets and support NDI as well.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

So a title like "Epic Games Harnesses The Power of NewTek NDI® for Unreal Engine 4" and "today announced that NewTek Network Device Interface (NDI®) will be implemented for Unreal Engine 4" means you have to spend 100k+ dollars to actually use it?
    Also there is a plugin for a lot of application, like vlc, Adobe CC and Vmix. What have in common those applications? They don't do virtual set.
    A plugin for Unreal actually exist but it is hard to implement, also doesn't come with nodes for Blueprint, so it is hard to use it, as you have to recompile Unreal Engine as a whole.

When someone read these announcement they expect to found the NDI plugin inside the engine, togheter with hundreds of other plugins you find in the Epic market. But no. Many studios can't afford a Brainstorm or Zero Density solution, also this is the reason why Tricaster is so popular.

Unreal Engine is a development platform, so I think the exceptions are that some development is expected. At least it was when I read this. You don't just use 'Unreal Engine' by itself, you build something on top of it. This is no different than when a new NDI SDK is announced, I can look forward to what is going be added, but it doesn't show up until the developers implement the new SDK in their products.
    Last edited by kanep; 01-24-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Unreal Engine is a development platform, so I think the exceptions are that some development is expected. At least it was when I read this. You don't just use 'Unreal Engine' by itself, you build something on top of it. This is no different than when a new NDI SDK is announced, I can look forward to what is going be added, but it doesn't show up until the developers implement the new SDK in their products.
    Well, AJA and BMD has been supported in UE4 as custom (and private) implementations by (for example) Zero Density for quite some time. Now Epic has releases public (and free) official plug-ins for these card. This means they can simply be installed and used directly, without any custom development. Reading the press release, I think it’s fair to assume that something similar would come for NDI as well. Otherwise, it should just have said “Now, anyone with lots of in-depth knowledge about both the NDI SDK as well as UE4 can spend a lot of time developing their very own NDI plug-in for UE4”.

Unreal Engine is used by a lot of artists in media and entertainment with very little development experience. Here are a few real-time (captured live) experiments I did, and I’m not a developer by a long shot:

https://app.box.com/s/vzsbbqyjmj0pj9mdortlm968fziekoxh

https://app.box.com/s/ntu5jh50n7nmahwaohccq8qhuwlhs361

We have this new article that annouce an NDI4 support for Unreal.

I hope this time will be a plugin that just shows up in Unreal marketplace and that can be installed without recompiling the whole engine.
    I hope this time is for real.

Yeah.. I’d like to know more about this as well. It states that unreal apps can be ndi sources but nothing about ndi as sources into unreal for virtual studio stuff. I really hope this plugin makes it as easy to get ndi in as Aja/blackmagic capture cards

I don't want to reveal details (sorry), but I think you're going to be pretty happy.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't want to reveal details (sorry), but I think you're going to be pretty happy.

Well this comment already make me happy, somehow. I am struggling with Blackmagic I/O, and wiring the studio. So at this point I hope it will be soon

LW2019 uses NDI for Unreal Bridge already.

I strongly suspect there are some really nice things comeing for both content people and developers from Newtek/VizRT for NDI and Unreal. Remember, Lightwave 2019 uses NDI as the foundation for the LW <-> Unreal bridge already. ( https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/02...unreal-engine/ ) The patch to use the bridge with Unreal 4.22 just dropped as a couple days agoo too.

Scott (From DigiView to LW2019... Newtek user for 33 years and counting)

(edit: forgot DigiView!)
    Last edited by dlvphoto; 04-12-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Forgot about DigiView, my first every Newtek Product

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast