Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daz Character Hair

Daz Character Hair

Is there a way to add to Daz Studio character's hair once brought is to Lightwave, to soften and volume to their hair? I zero out the specular to their hair then 100 percen transparency to get their initial hair. Is their a set of nodes or textures I can add to make it look like hair and not a helmet?

How is the hair actually modeled? Is it as a collection of strips of flat polygons, or as a single helmet-like form, or...?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Using Genesis 8 character this is typical for the hair object. I'm looking it into something that has a resemblance to real hair. Body, hi-lites, and volume. Any suggestionsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 6.25.02 PM.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	551.0 KB 
ID:	143405

The problem you'll encounter is that the textures they're using already have shading incorporated into them, so just changing the material properties alone isn't likely to give you the flexibility you need to manage the kind of shading control you want. You could try modifying the textures they provided (using LW's image processing to adjust the contrast in their textures), or generating new ones with shading more akin to your needs.
    John W.

You're going to have to re-build the 'materials', or surfaces for LW.
    It's not going to look right in preview of course, only in render.
    I see in the screen shot there is no specular, and 80% diffuse.
    There should be specular, maybe about 30 - 40%.
    Sometimes the artist includes a specular map and sometimes not.
    Then, there should not be transparency used.
    Even with a texture map, transparency works differently in LW and should only be used with solid geometries.
    Put your transparency texture map in the clip map and invert the image.
    Then play with glossiness some. Use maybe 15 - 45% depending on the kind of shampoo your character uses.
    Oh, and click 'Double Sided'. That will help a lot with 'Volume'. The polys should show from both sides, especially on windy days.
    Last edited by MarkAH; 11-24-2018 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Add a comment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KiriTe for Rialein01.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	143409
    Here is a character/hair from DS, converted to LW Objects and rendered in a LW Scene.
    'Materials' completely re-built to LW surfaces as suggested above.
    Very wispy fine hair, really hard to do, but this is about as good as it gets.
    Results are so dependent on the quality of the artwork.
    The artist that created this hair is Fabiana Kofman (FK-Designs).

This talk about shaders got me thinking I don't remember ever seeing a shader on hair surfaces in DS.
    Since even the basic surface parameters don't translate then the shaders probably wouldn't come over either.
    Especially since DS and LW don't even have the same shaders.
    Maybe I just never looked, but it gave me an idea.
    (Still using LW2015)...
    In the regular surface editor there is a shader tab to apply shaders on any surface.
    There's one called BRDF which has an anisotropicII mode that sets the specular disturbance by the UV map.
    Since the artwork for hair (texture map) is almost always aligned vertically, then using that mode might make a nice enhancement to the look of hair.
    I tried it with a few settings and 40% specular, 20% glossiness, along with 12 deg anisotropy and 0 deg direction (so it's lined right up with V) looks pretty nice.
    For heavier hair you might use up to 18 deg anisotropy.
    For a hair texture that doesn't have real fine artwork it will probably help a lot.

Here is a photo that I worked on today . I liked how the hair came out. What do you think?

Name:	Emiyo.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	143418

That's a good hair model. Came out nice and it's one with some excellent volume.
    I have one that's got some problems but I like it anyway.
    Looks kind of glompy though, like there's too much hair-spray on it or something.
    This is the best I can get with it. Used that AnisotropicII shader idea on it too.

Name:	Laval w AniII.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	143422

Here is another one. Do you like how this came out or should the texture be changed? I'm welcome to any critiques

Name:	hinako_by_eraldegold-dct0un9.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	143432

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    Here is another one. Do you like how this came out or should the texture be changed? I'm welcome to any critiques

Name:	hinako_by_eraldegold-dct0un9.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	143432
    Her hair looks nice. There's some kind of surfacing artifact happening with her right wrist, though, and the skin specular in her right forearm-to-wrist looks a bit odd as well.
    John W.

How do you bring these objects into LW.
    I mean, by OBJ or what is it FBX?
    Can you transfer the rigging together with the geometry?
    I get the DS stuff into LW via OBJ so the rigging doesn't come with it.
    But I wrote a python script that runs in Poser, which extracts the rig info.
    So I put the model in Poser and run the script, which creates obj lines that I load into Modeler, merge points and convert to skelegons.
    Add that in with the character .lwo , load it into Layout and convert to Bones.
    Seems like a long way around but I can't find any MeshEdit tool that makes bones. In Python that is.
    But that gets my characters rigged, and then there's weight maps to do.
    Quite the task.
    Last edited by MarkAH; 11-27-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Well the problems with the wrist is that it use to have bracelets on the wrist. They was either cutting into the hand or wrist so I tried to cover them up in Photoshop. I mostly bring in the obj in to Lightwave. Tried to go fbx but that meant having to pose the character manually. I couldn't use the poses from Daz Studio . Unless you have figured a way to bring a pose in to Lightwave from Daz?

It seems like you are saying that you're bringing in the posed character from DS, and it certainly looks that way in your render.
    Really like that coat in the last picture btw. That must have been posed in DS, no?
    So there you have it. Must be bringing in the character, clothing, hair etc from DS all together.
    Was saying above that it is necessary to get the rigging done so characters, etc can be posed in LW.
    Absolutely must be weight mapped though and getting a compound figure and clothes just right is very hard to do.
    Many hours of tweaking the weight maps so there's no poke through and the various surfaces bend just right.

Adding bones is in layout, not in modeler. I suspect that draw a 2pt polygon, merge points, and convert to skelegons is probably the way to get your bones accurately placed with DAZ figures. I suspect that a skelegon is simply a 2pt polygon with a polygon tag set. Myself, I import as OBJ, use RHiggit2 to rig in layout, and use Rhiggit's save rig / load skelegons to find out where I need weights to blend. Tends to work rather well, if, as you said, in a round-about fashion.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast