Thread: part rotation based on distance from a null

part rotation based on distance from a null

Hello
    I'm trying to modify the basic network to move parts based on the distance from a null into a fixed rotation based on the distance from a null. This is the original node network to move parts:

When trying to modify this network to rotate the panels around their center instead of moving them up, I can't get the result I'm after (flipping boards around the animated null.)

Thank you

It almost works like that but if you look closer (or increase the rotation value above 90, say 180) The size of the panels changes.

Last edited by marchermitte; 11-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Unfortunately, in LW2018 the Mesh Part node doesn't appear to be operational in the Nodal Motion modifier, which is what's needed to do the rotating tile effect. Mesh Part appears to only work in Nodal Displacement, which affects the points in each Part independently, causing undesirable behavior like the stretching you describe. I think to move or rotate each part homogeneously (i.e. without changing its shape) would require Mesh Part to work in Nodal Motion.

You might be able to accomplish what you want with an Instancer and control the Instance rotation based upon the Null position. Sample scene attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	143443 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_090.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	143445 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_046.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	143444

MOV file: InstanceRotation_DistanceToNull.mov

The setup is similar to what you were trying with Mesh Part, but it's the Instances which are rotated:

Name:	RotateInstances_DistanceToNull.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1,016.6 KB 
ID:	143442

It's important to note that for the Node network to control the Rotation of the Instances, Rotation must be set to Uniform in the Rotation tab of the Instancer:

Name:	RotationMustBeSetToUniform.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	143447

Good luck!
    mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mesh Part node only operating in "Nodal Displacement" silo, and not "Nodal Motion" silo as well, sounds like a bug worth filing.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Actually, I went and looked at my old pre-LW2018 scenes using DPKit Part Move, and it's used in the Displacement node network, so using Mesh Part in Displacement is appropriate.

I got it working this morning, and the trick is that the Displacement mode has to be SET, not DISPLACE. Sample scene attached, and here's the setup:

Name:	MeshPart_RotateDisplacement_Working_Setup.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	993.1 KB 
ID:	143453

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    Actually, I went and looked at my old pre-LW2018 scenes using DPKit Part Move, and it's used in the Displacement node network, so using Mesh Part in Displacement is appropriate.
    Ah, I see, Mesh Part is only mentioned in context of Displacement silo per the docs. I guess I understand the logic there, but that said, it's quite counterintuitive that changing objects' PSR is a "motion" operation, while changing parts' PSR is a "displacement" operation. That's inconsistent and poor UX.

The devs really need to sort out whether "mesh parts" are a "legitimate" aspect of LW objects or not (and then apply that decision throughout Layout). Arbitrarily having some Layout areas aware of "parts" while others act as if they don't exist just makes for UX consistency/discoverability problems (as shown).
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-29-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Very cool explanation! Thank you for the scenes also!

Was just adding the new dp kit for Lightwave 2018, trying the classic part moves, ...feeding a simple turbulence in to part move etc, INSTANT CRASH

edited...just a simple part move without anything else, fed into nodal displacement output, instant crash.