Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exrTrader dilemma

exrTrader dilemma

Wow. Talk about a chasing something down rabbit hole. While trying to render out a frame to show the original problem I'm having, I came across another which, in all honesty, I think is simply my system hitting the memory wall. All the more reason for my rationilza..., justification, for a new, 21st century system in the near future.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is this:

I set up exrTrader for a few buffers along with the backdrop. An F9 renders fine and I look at the buffer results and all is as it should be.

This is the "final" (this is a hyper stripped down test scene). My actual scene gets to 99% then hangs if I enable exrTrader. Disabling instances didn't help, so needed something reresentative that I could output. This is using the same enviro light, GI, volumetrics, etc. though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalRender000_Merge8bit.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	143391

And the backdrop layer:

Name:	SimpleTestEXRBuffs_Backdrop.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	143392

But when I look at the resulting exr file layer though, I'm seeing this for the backdrop:

Name:	exrTradersBackdropresult.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	143393

The other layers seem "clipped" too and I've no color info in the object and surface ID layers in the exr looking at them in PhotoShop.

I've had exrTrader for some years but this is the first time I've really used it with 2018, so at a loss what I'm missing here.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Better to post this down in the LightWave 3D Technique Discussions - LW - 3rd party threads.

Here it's too far away from the group that can help you.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Better to post this down in the LightWave 3D Technique Discussions - LW - 3rd party threads.

Here it's too far away from the group that can help you.
    OK, will do. Just figured the holiday was slowing up any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    OK, will do. Just figured the holiday was slowing up any responses.
    Actually, I'd recommend posting over at the DB&W forums, or go on their Discord to discuss it (see their website for details), you're much more likely to get a quick answer there.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

That's impressively "odd", btw, betting it's some kind of bug just by the looks of it.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Actually, I'd recommend posting over at the DB&W forums, or go on their Discord to discuss it (see their website for details), you're much more likely to get a quick answer there.
    Didn't know they had a Discord. Figured posting here would get more eyes. If nothing after the weekend I'll try over there.

Didn't know they had a Discord. Figured posting here would get more eyes. If nothing after the weekend I'll try over there.
    It almost looks like as if it's using the foreground as a "clip mask" for where to do proper CS conversion. Very odd, could kind of see how it might be an issue introduced during the recent Cryptomatte changes.

Are you using exrTrader or exrTrader Pro? Any chance you can package and post a test scene? I'd be interested to see if I can repro it here with exrTrader Pro.
    John W.

It almost looks like as if it's using the foreground as a "clip mask" for where to do proper CS conversion. Very odd, could kind of see how it might be an issue introduced during the recent Cryptomatte changes.

Are you using exrTrader or exrTrader Pro? Any chance you can package and post a test scene? I'd be interested to see if I can repro it here with exrTrader Pro.
    I'm not using the Pro version. Another odd thing is that the UI's Buffer view shows it all correctly; it's just the resulting layer on the OpenEXR file.

Let me see how big the test scene is. It's got an 8K HDR so if not to bad sizewise, I'll post it a bit later.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Wow. Talk about a chasing something down rabbit hole. While trying to render out a frame to show the original problem I'm having, I came across another which, in all honesty, I think is simply my system hitting the memory wall. All the more reason for my rationilza..., justification, for a new, 21st century system in the near future.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is this:

I set up exrTrader for a few buffers along with the backdrop. An F9 renders fine and I look at the buffer results and all is as it should be.

This is the "final" (this is a hyper stripped down test scene). My actual scene gets to 99% then hangs if I enable exrTrader. Disabling instances didn't help, so needed something reresentative that I could output. This is using the same enviro light, GI, volumetrics, etc. though.
    I've just been pointed at this thread. Could you get me a sample scene that reproduces the error? You can reach me at [email protected] (or on our discord server).

Also, assuming it's quicker for a start, the EXR image itself would help as well - but I'd need a test scene eventually. From what I've seen I have no idea about what could go wrong.

Cheers,
    Mike

Edit: Which application are you using to view the resulting EXR?
    Last edited by Lightwolf; 11-23-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I've just been pointed at this thread. Could you get me a sample scene that reproduces the error? You can reach me at [email protected] (or on our discord server).

Also, assuming it's quicker for a start, the EXR image itself would help as well - but I'd need a test scene eventually. From what I've seen I have no idea about what could go wrong.

Cheers,
    Mike

Edit: Which application are you using to view the resulting EXR?
    Thanks Michael. I'm trying to prep a stripped down scene now. Even replacing the 8K HDR with a 1K one, the sample scene is still 100 Mb.

I'm sure it's just op error, but I'm at a loss tracking this issue down.

What I'll do instead is post it on WeTransfer & send you the link. I'll post that link here if anyone else wishes to examine. Their links usually are available for 7-10 days.

The only app I have that can look at the layers in the exr is Photoshop or After Effects. I'm still using CS6 extended.

Hmmm. Just threw this into AE applied the Create Pro EXR Layer Comps, and the backdrop is behaving there. The ID layers aren't though. They show properly in Photoshop however.

Anyway here's the resulting layered exr to start with. Had to make it a zip as the forum limits file types.

FinalRender024.zip

For anyone interested, here's the WeTransfer link:

https://we.tl/t-7QzTpKio4p

Will be deleted on 1 December, 2018.

Mark, just to clarify: "WindowWork_exp.lws" produces the buffers in question, correct?

I'm not seeing exrTrader used in that scene, all the buffers are PNG, etc. Is there another scene hiding somewhere that I'm not seeing?
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-23-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    John W.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    I've just loaded the rendered EXR into Fusion and the saved layers are fine (I had to add some nodes to change the colour space of the colour layers and make the IDs visible).

Name:	exrTrader_in_Fusion.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	143407
    Affinity Photo also seems to be doing fine:

Name:	exrTrader_in_Affinity.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	623.5 KB 
ID:	143408

I haven't looked at your scene yet, that's next. And that 99% hang really is worrying.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I've just loaded the rendered EXR into Fusion and the saved layers are fine (I had to add some nodes to change the colour space of the colour layers and make the IDs visible).

Name:	exrTrader_in_Fusion.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	143407
    Affinity Photo also seems to be doing fine:

Name:	exrTrader_in_Affinity.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	623.5 KB 
ID:	143408

I haven't looked at your scene yet, that's next. And that 99% hang really is worrying.

Cheers,
    Mike
    I'm wondering now if it's something with Photoshop. Might be a reason to pick up Affinity.

I was going to test the hanging issue again. Last night when doing a test, I noticed that the rendering tiles had finished yet progress bar showed only 88%. I waited 30-40 secs and then all completed apperantly; the image widow came up and the exr's had gotten written.

Mark, just to clarify: "WindowWork_exp.lws" produces the buffers in question, correct?

I'm not seeing exrTrader used in that scene, all the buffers are PNG, etc. Is there another scene hiding somewhere that I'm not seeing?
    Hey JW. Go into the Effects Tab under Image Filter and you'll find it. I posted the scene with it simply unclicked so recheck it on. The buffers I enabled will be there but the paths won't be correct obviously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast