Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussing PTZ UI

Discussing PTZ UI

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Aah, thanks. This is not actually a new (7-0) feature. It has been in VMC1 from the beginning.

PTZ control is now in the PTZ tab of the config panel for each source assigned to a PTZ camera. (With Premium Access enabled, every source has similar controls, since even non-PTZ sources get Pan and Scan, which is very nearly the same in the UI.)
    And I already know many users won't like the new ptz managment. That's quite bad having to go in the input settings to see the thumbnails and presets.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    And I already know many users won't like the new ptz managment. That's quite bad having to go in the input settings to see the thumbnails and presets.
    I think this is an area that will see improvement in future, but it's not really all that much more inconvenient even now. As often as not in the past, it was necessary to switch away from the DDR tab to view the PTZ tab. This isn't so different. And CS users often don't bother viewing the thumbnails at all. That said, I'm confident we can make it better.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve, You don't want to understand why the loose of PTZ tab is a big miss for many of us, including a lot of users I know.

Just having to open a input setting page , just to make a PTZ move with the virtual joystick, is a pain. You tell many users don't care about thumbnails because they manage everything from the panel. Why not, but then you could simply remove that feature !

It's great having PTZ available for each input now, and I don't even talk about vPTZ from the NPA. But, IMHO, and I know I'n not alone here, it's much better to have the PTZ tab with or without the "follow Preview" , than 16 presets hidden deep in a specific page, moreover when you can have only one open at a time.

PTZ presets in the LivePanel might help a bit, but you can only have from the preview selected source, and they can't be set in the builder as well.

I feel your pain in regards to this change. How many PTZ cameras do you typically use in a production?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I have customers using up to 6 usually. But I guess that nunber will increase when they'll use virtual PTZ with 4k sources.

Just having to open a input setting page , just to make a PTZ move with the virtual joystick, is a pain..
    I'm going to have to disagree. Very often in the past it was necessary to switch away from the DDR to get to the PTZ tab, and then you had to take the additional step of selecting the correct camera to adjust. Now you can get to virtually the same controls for the camera you want to control with a single click (or double tap on a touch screen).

You tell many users don't care about thumbnails because they manage everything from the panel. Why not, but then you could simply remove that feature.
    Sorry, I think it must be a translation issue, but I really don't follow you here. I never said thumbnails aren't useful, nor have we removed them.

... than 16 presets hidden deep in a specific page, moreover when you can have only one open at a time.
    First, they really aren't "deeply hidden", they are exposed in the the default view on the first tab of the config panel, and if you left the panel on that tab it will reopen to the same place again any time later with one click. And on your last point, you could only ever have controls for one camera visible at a time in the PTZ tab, too... and again, often just getting to it required closing the DDR.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Sorry, one more vote to the old PTZ layout.
    Last edited by rsilva; 10-27-2018 at 05:42 PM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I have been reading around and hearing lots of dissension regarding the PTZ tab removal in the latest update. Sometimes change is necessary to achieve the big picture and long term goal. That said, I would rather have the option of the PTZ Tab. Steve has mentioned that people would have to click from the DDR to the PTZ tab anyway. I would have to say though that not every user uses their TC this way. My production team does not. We play the same exact commercials over and over through the day. We never have to look at the DDR. We just Take it. So our PTZ tab stays open all the time when we are using it.
    One of our clients is a city council recording setup, they also use the PTZ Tab all the time. They never even use the DDR. For them I was asked if the PTZ Tab could be all the way across the bottom screen like the Audio Mixer. They wanted to see more presets at once. They use 4 PTZ panasonic cameras.

I am sure NewTek is listening. I am also sure that there was a big reason for making this big change. We just need to reteach our workflow now.

Can a Macro call up the settings panel exposing the Thumbnails? I need to check on that.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Sometimes change is necessary to achieve the big picture and long term goal. That said, I would rather have the option of the PTZ Tab
    Hi Jef, I get that. You can be sure that (like all changes) this was and continues to be discussed at length here. About all I can say is to repeat that we're not finished with this.

Steve has mentioned that people would have to click from the DDR to the PTZ tab anyway.
    Minor correction here - I said that "Very often people would have to do that". In that case, you actually had an extra click. Otherwise - if the PTZ tab was already up - you would often need to a) select the icon for the PTZ unit you want to control, then b) click a preset ... so in many cases, two clicks, and yes - sometimes just one. With the new implementation, it's always two clicks (assuming you're doing this in the UI, since the CS is a whole other thing), never one ... but you gain more presets, and more camera connections, much larger monitor viewports, the ability to fire presets for PTZs externally using a dedicated page in LivePanel, and you no longer have to wade through three completely panels each time you want to configure another camera.

The point I'm making here is that objectively, it's certainly not all 'cons' and no 'pros'. But again, we're not done.

Can a Macro call up the settings panel exposing the Thumbnails? I need to check on that.
    Not obviously, I think, but keep in mind that you'd need to be able to open specific config panels, not just one. So, although we make a habit of not pre-announcing things, one detail we plan to implement is a shortcut key to open the config window for whatever source is currently selected on Preview. It's not a complete solution, of course, but it will improve things a bit in this context and also be handy for some other purposes.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Thanks for the follow up Steve.

I know you guys are not finished. I definitely get that. The issue with our clients is this change is a major change in their workflow and without them getting the end result now, it makes them very apprehensive of the big change. We can't always assume that LivePanel and the PA subscription is going on every TC1. Adding in other PCs to run LivePanel is also something that not everyone wants or can do.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

We can't always assume that LivePanel and the PA subscription is going on every TC1.
    True, I was thinking of that aspect in the context of Premium Access (which of course not everyone will have either).
    Adding in other PCs to run LivePanel is also something that not everyone wants or can do.
    It's awfully nice on an iPad, too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Angry PTZ Tab Relocated in new TC-1 build

In the new build of the TC-1 they have moved the PTZ tab to each cameras gear icon. When switching our Board of Commissioners meetings live this is causing many problems as it is adding an extra step to every cam preset switch.
    Does anyone else find this to be frustrating?

(...) "For them I was asked if the PTZ Tab could be all the way across the bottom screen like the Audio Mixer." (...)
    That would be the perfect solution for PTZ tab! You surely need to go in that direction (please!!!).

Everything else about this new update is awesome and ty for that.

Just to mention it, so it's not something you've not considered - don't overlook the fact that there's now a PTZ page in LivePanel under Premium Access that would give you an outboard way to trigger presets for whichever camera is selected on the Preview row.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rsilva View Post
    Sorry, one more vote to the old PTZ layout.
    one more vote for the PTZ tab!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast