Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Windows on a Tricaster 8000, Standard Edition

Upgrading Windows on a Tricaster 8000, Standard Edition

Hello All,

We've got a fairly old Tricaster 8000 which is running the standard edition Tricaster software on Windows Embedded Standard 7601 Service Pack 1 (Windows Embedded Standard 6.1), which looks like Windows 7, to the untrained eye.

We're part of a large University and our IT department have just flagged it up as vulnerable, presumably because Microsoft have now stopped supporting this particular version.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in upgrading Windows on a Tricaster while leaving the Tricaster software alone?

Thanks.

Cannot be done. TriCaster is an APPLIANCE, can't treat it like a regular PC. The only Newtek software for TC8000 is meant for Windows 7 only.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Thanks for the quick response. Would upgrading to the advanced edition update the version of Windows? Might as well see if I can get some new stuff out of this...

**Edit: Just re-read your post and it implies that it wouldn't, which makes sense. Thanks.**
    Last edited by MediaProduction; 11-07-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    It should be noted that Microsoft has pledged support for the embedded version of Windows 7 until sometime after 2025.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

You need to make your guys aware that they need to treat this piece of hardware like any other embedded system; you don't run group policy on it, you don't upgrade it, you don't run anti-virus on it, you don't install software on it and you don't use it like you'd use a desktop PC. What this means to them is they need to reconsider the security model of such devices - that often means network segmentation to be able to keep the rest of the kit away from it. It's not that hard - it just means they can't take shortcuts like treating it like a desktop PC.

Microsoft is ending support of Win 7 embedded on 10-13-2020. My IT department won't let my 860 or 460 on the network after that date. Does Newtek have any plans to convert their Tricaster systems to a Win 10 based solution before then? If not, I will be forced to lose all my NDI capabilities.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...20Standard%207

Well now this is interesting.... I'd heard the 2025 date before, but given the link above, it would appear this is not the case. Zane or Steve - can you help shed some light on this? We may be getting into the TC1 sooner than I'd expected...
    Last edited by dhodlick; 04-05-2019 at 06:34 AM.

I prefer to allow support to handle things like this, and I think they are not 'there' yet ... but, fwiw (this is not official advice): In my personal view only, I would expect 7-0 to run just fine under Win 10; and I have heard of people running 5-1 on Win 10 systems, though I am less confident about this being reliable.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I prefer to allow support to handle things like this, and I think they are not 'there' yet ... but, fwiw (this is not official advice): In my personal view only, I would expect 7-0 to run just fine under Win 10; and I have heard of people running 5-1 on Win 10 systems, though I am less confident about this being reliable.
    Thanks Viking Steve. I was thinking about doing some experimentation on my own via a cloned HD. May be a project to tinker with in my downtime

Are you referring to a standard Win 10 base build? What platform does the TC1 run on?

Current TC's ship on an Enterprise platform, but I'm not sure it might not be ok with another version. I'll try to find out.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Current TC's ship on an Enterprise platform, but I'm not sure it might not be ok with another version. I'll try to find out.
    Is that Windows 7 Enterprise you're referring to? Win 7 Enterprise loses support in January 2020. Maybe I should've asked, are all Tricasters, regardless of the model, Win 7 based?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPtech View Post
    Is that Windows 7 Enterprise you're referring to? Win 7 Enterprise loses support in January 2020. Maybe I should've asked, are all Tricasters, regardless of the model, Win 7 based?
    The more recent TC1 and IP-series models are Windows 10

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    The more recent TC1 and IP-series models are Windows 10
    Sorry, I though that was established by the context - but yes, newer models are running win 10.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

The TC1 uses Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch). LTSB allows the appliance manufacturer (NewTek) to customize the configuration and what applications are installed within the operatiing system. On a TC1, the LTSB installation is essentially a "heavily de-crapified" install of Windows 10 Enterprise.

Chris Auger
    Advanced Lighting & Sound
    Troy, Mi
    NewTek Elite Partner
    www.go-als.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast