Thread: Push notification for software/firmware updates -

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar

Push notification for software/firmware updates -

It would be nice to know when new software or firmware releases are available.

This might work as a forum feature request.
    If there was a thread dedicated to a certain product (e.g. SPARK HDMI) and every time a new firmware was available, CS could post it in that thread.
    All of us who own SPARK HDMI devices could SUBSCRIBE TO THAT THREAD and we would be instantly notified of updates.

You could create a thread for each product area that was dedicated to updates.

All you would need to do is turn on the subscription option on this forum application.

...unless this is already a thing and I simply don't know what I am doing...

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    It would be nice to know when new software or firmware releases are available.

This might work as a forum feature request.
    If there was a thread dedicated to a certain product (e.g. SPARK HDMI) and every time a new firmware was available, CS could post it in that thread.
    All of us who own SPARK HDMI devices could SUBSCRIBE TO THAT THREAD and we would be instantly notified of updates.

You could create a thread for each product area that was dedicated to updates.

All you would need to do is turn on the subscription option on this forum application.

...unless this is already a thing and I simply don't know what I am doing...

Andrew

I have also been wondering about being notified when firmware updates are available. My TC1s are much happier if I keep them up to date...

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about providing push notifications for updates in TC's Notifications panel?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about providing push notifications for updates in TC's Notifications panel?

I'd be okay with that as long as it doesn't disrupt equipment performance

In my head, it would probably only check for updates before opening a session ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    In my head, it would probably only check for updates before opening a session ...
    Agreed. It should ping the server at boot and give a notification of available updates at the same time as the 'you installed something you shouldn't have, would you like to restore?' alert. It should have 'yes, install now', 'yes, download now', 'no, remind me later', and 'no, ignore this version' buttons. It should also auto dismiss after 30 seconds so it doesn't completely stop the boot process if it is running unattended.

Of course this won't work for devices on private networks, but I stream to Facebook and other cloud services, so mine can always see the internet.

For devices like NC1 that often run headless, an email notification would also be great, and/or a remote management function.

Agreed!

I was thinking the same thing this week... with Elites, 410’s and Mini’s in the shop, it hard to keep track of updates. Some form of automatic notification would certainly help!

Even something so basic as an email list signup for Newtek software updates, with a selectable list of equipment to filter the update emails. Another one of my equipment vendors just started up an email list where they'll only announce software updates, with links to the release notes on their website. Benefit of an email list is for those of us who support multiple installed machines in the field - we don't always sit in front of them as operators, and so may not see a UI notification for software updates.
    Grant Bachman
    IT & Video Engineer
    Capital Community Media
    Sent from 💻

TC1, NC1I/O, 3P1