Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 163

Thread: db&w Tools on Patreon

  1. #121
    Angry Mac User Otterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    867
    Is this like the Spline Deformer node in the DP Kit? I use this for flexible hoses to great effect. What's the benefit of the Spline Toolkit Mike?

  2. #122
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Is this like the Spline Deformer node in the DP Kit? I use this for flexible hoses to great effect. What's the benefit of the Spline Toolkit Mike?
    Eventually, yes.

    It is a multi-stage project where spline deformation will be a future stage.

    The main difference to all current approaches will be that a spline will be a single item - not a selection of null. With a dedicated tool to edit them. There may be a conversion to a spline based on nulls and vice versa further down the line though.
    I also want to support multiple spline types. Beziers aren't the best for animation for example (because you need to animated the handles as well to retain a shape).

    This first stage will be the foundation - spline creation, editing and a spline motion plugin that goes with it.

    Also, given that I'm trying to create a unified code base, future options will propagate through the system. I.e. if patrons vote for renderable splines first, and then for other spline types - the renderable splines will support the new types as well.

    That's why it's more of a toolkit as opposed to a single plugin. Check the link I posted on Patreon for some future ideas of where this could go.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  3. #123
    Angry Mac User Otterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    867
    Sounds great Mike, Im all for simplifying things. Especially when working with 50 flexible hoses. All done using DP kit!
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #124
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    Sounds great Mike, Im all for simplifying things. Especially when working with 50 flexible hoses. All done using DP kit!
    I've done my fair share of them as well.
    Nothing as crazy as your rig though.

    The dpKit defomer is quite nice, no doubt about it. I've also always quite liked Hoser.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    There may be a conversion
    I also want to support multiple spline types. Beziers aren't the best for animation for example (because you need to animated the handles as well to retain a shape).
    Perhaps look at how the 2D animation program Moho implements splines. In Moho the tangents of the curve try to be retained as you move the cv around.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

  6. #126
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Perhaps look at how the 2D animation program Moho implements splines. In Moho the tangents of the curve try to be retained as you move the cv around.
    If I grok the maths it will be an advanced editing function - which is a module all by itself. Just like tagging CVs to be smooth or sharp. One step after the other.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    1,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I've done my fair share of them as well.
    Nothing as crazy as your rig though.

    The dpKit defomer is quite nice, no doubt about it. I've also always quite liked Hoser.

    Cheers,
    Mike
    yeah hoser was good

  8. #128
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    We've just sent out the first beta of the Spline Toolkit, First Stage to the patrons of our db&w Tools.
    This time even including a video covering the basics.
    It's not quite done yet, but will be. And then there's follow up modules that depend on what our patrons vote for.

    Join them, become a patron as well and get the current build.

    https://www.patreon.com/posts/28892918

    Cheers,
    Mike

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    We've just sent out...
    Join them, become a patron as well and get the current build.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Halleluja!

    Wow you got yourself a new patreon with this news! Incredible, Splines in Layout! Please keep improving this toolset.

    Even if it's still limited, very well done! Never thought I would become patreon but this deserves it!

    Edit: a function to covert to native spline control would be nice. Or even better a display mode that makes it look like spline control.

    Spline control looks good but is annoying to set up, your plugin makes it more intuitive.
    Last edited by Marander; 08-04-2019 at 03:05 PM.

  10. #130
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Halleluja!

    Wow you got yourself a new patreon with this news! Incredible, Splines in Layout! Please keep improving this toolset.

    Even if it's still limited, very well done! Never thought I would become patreon but this deserves it!

    Edit: a function to covert to native spline control would be nice. Or even better a display mode that makes it look like spline control.

    Spline control looks good but is annoying to set up, your plugin makes it more intuitive.
    Haha, you just made my day. Thanks.

    An (incomplete) list of ideas for the future is here. I'll need to re-work it a bit for the next vote though.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,508
    @db&w

    I know you're just developing this but I have already some ideas for features I'd love to see:

    - db&w Spline Display like (native) Spline Control
    - db&w Spline Convert to (native) Spline Control (Null objects)
    - db&w Spline Presets: Helix (with start/end radius and start/end height), Circle, Arc etc.
    - db&w Spline as Instancer source
    - db&w Spline with Sweep modifier for parametric tubes, ropes (with ability to use as textured object)
    - db&w Spline Extrude with profile for parametric rails
    - db&w Spline with Loft modifier (maybe not that useful to setup in Layout)
    - db&w Spline convert to polygon
    - db&w Spline Jitter / Jolt / Overshoot
    - db&w Spline Textured / Noise Displacement
    - db&w Spline Dynamics (also combined with the Sweep modifier) for dynamic ropes

    Easy said I know, just some thoughts. Cheers

    Edit: I think you could create a big plugin package out of this which I would be glad to purchase!

  12. #132
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    @db&w

    I know you're just developing this but I have already some ideas for features I'd love to see:

    - db&w Spline Display like (native) Spline Control
    I'll just reply to the first few. I've actually just added that today because the orientation still needs some work in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    - db&w Spline Convert to (native) Spline Control (Null objects)
    The problem here is that the splines that LW uses are a subset of what Beziers support. Going the other way would be easier - not trivial either though.

    One thought was to allow the spline editor to work on native splines as well - obviously with less functionality to match the capabilities of the splines.

    I'll add the others to our list to think about.

    Cheers,
    Mike

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,508
    Thank you Mike

    I just installed and tested, the spline creation / edit is very smooth and intuitive, bravo!

    As you mentioned, the orientation along spline still has some issues at the control points but it's a great start.

  14. #134
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Thank you Mike

    I just installed and tested, the spline creation / edit is very smooth and intuitive, bravo!

    As you mentioned, the orientation along spline still has some issues at the control points but it's a great start.
    Thanks. Yeah, the orientation will need a different method. Oddly enough, this is a lot harder to do properly than expected. I've learned a lot about Splines in the past two months.

    (Which is something that's often forgotten when requesting features - the actual implementation usually isn't the issue. But understanding the topic as well as finding an optimal way to implement something).

  15. #135
    Big fan of coffee raw-m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,337
    Hi Mike. It’s working really smoothly on the Mac! Thanks so much for sticking with us So many uses....

    Found a bug. Both Node and motion modifier, Per Span doesn’t get past 20%, an attached object just sticks to the Spline at anything over 20%.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •