Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: db&w Tools on Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm revealing old age here...what's the difference between Patreon and a PayPal recurring payment subscription?
    Not much, employers rarely are willing to set up corporate versions of either type of account... and that's the issue.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Everything around it, the site, the interaction, etc. Plus, you can quit and re-join at any time...
    Those are features of most any payment system integration with CMS. I only mentioned PayPal as it's used by many LW plugin developers. John is correct in pointing out the reluctance of businesses to allow payments (or even unfiltered web access) to PayPal and Patreon.

You've got quite a few options for your Joomla site. https://extensions.joomla.org/catego...subscriptions/ The first result offers 40+ payment gateway options.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    You've got quite a few options for your Joomla site. https://extensions.joomla.org/catego...subscriptions/ The first result offers 40+ payment gateway options.
    The payment isn't the problem, we're using share-it and it offers a ton of options all across the globe - I'd recommend it to anybody. That's not why we picked Patreon. We chose it because it seems to be the right platform for what we had in mind with the db&w tools - and that goes beyond just getting paid.

Cheers,
    Mike

While Patreon doesn't send out bills, you do get a receipt including all taxes.

We're currently thinking about other methods though, likely as a pre-payment for x months or a way to just get the current version.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks for considering it, Mike.
    Billing is not the main issue here. Well, a pre-payment could simplify the accounting writing a bit, but the biggest problem being that accountants are not that open minded, and each expense must correspond to a product or a clear service required by the business.
    Even donations for essential plugins must be from my pocket and can't be part of my accounting. This archaic economic model is still the rule here
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by omichon View Post
    Thanks for considering it, Mike.
    Billing is not the main issue here. Well, a pre-payment could simplify the accounting writing a bit, but the biggest problem being that accountants are not that open minded, and each expense must correspond to a product or a clear service required by the business.
    Even donations for essential plugins must be from my pocket and can't be part of my accounting. This archaic economic model is still the rule here
    It's not a donation, it's purchasing software including maintenance for x months - at least as far as accounting is concerned. We're thinking of making that an alternative model.

Cheers,
    Mike

It's not a donation, it's purchasing software including maintenance for x months - at least as far as accounting is concerned. We're thinking of making that an alternative model.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Yes, I understand it's not a donation. I just tried to give an example of another alternative model but not recognized from accounting point of view.
    I will ask my accounting about this but as far as I understand, you don't know what software you purchase at the time you become a patreon. That could be a problem, but I hope I am wrong.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by omichon View Post
    I will ask my accounting about this but as far as I understand, you don't know what software you purchase at the time you become a patreon. That could be a problem, but I hope I am wrong.
    Well, you do know what you get at the time of purchase, but you don't know what will be added during the "maintenance". Which isn't much different from any of the other maintenance models.

Of course, the Patreon project is much more - but this is how you can break it down.

Cheers,
    Mike

We've just updated our FAQ on Patreon:

I'd like to use the db&w Tools at my company, but we can't get accounting to support the Patreon project.

You can order company access to the current build and the next six months of development via our online shop. It's similar to the Fight for the Right to Party! tier but doesn't include access to patron only posts here on Patreon.
    It's essentially a subscription for 6 months which expires automatically.

Cheers,
    Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triplanar_Example.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	143479

We have just sent out the Plugin of the Month for November 2018, the Triplanar Mapper and Mixer, to our finest patrons.
    Again, we'd like to thank you for your support.

Name:	TriplanarMapper_GUI.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	143480

If you would like to join them in supporting the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/join/dbw?

Name:	Triplanar_Example.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	143479

We have just sent out the Plugin of the Month for November 2018, the Triplanar Mapper and Mixer, to our finest patrons.
    Again, we'd like to thank you for your support.

Name:	TriplanarMapper_GUI.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	143480

If you would like to join them in supporting the development of the db&w Tools, become a patron: https://www.patreon.com/join/dbw?
    So what exactly does this do? And does it work with 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    So what exactly does this do? And does it work with 2015?
    Triplanar mapping is essentially like cubic mapping - except that the "corners" are blended.

And no, 2018 only. We've move our entire code base to 2018 at the beginning of the year, especially due to changes in the SDK, most prominently the nodes SDK.

Cheers,
    Mike

Our patrons have voted for the plugin of the month for December 2018, it will be the MultiImage Sampler:

Name:	PluginOfTheMonth_12-2018.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	143541

It allows for texturing using a single projection but using multiple images which can be selected by an index. The index, in turn, can be driven externally; for example by an instance ID.

Name:	MultiImageSampler_WiP.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	143540

Wow... Close between no vote and multiimage sampler!
    If no vote was the winner, would we have got nothing?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Wow... Close between no vote and multiimage sampler!
    If no vote was the winner, would we have got nothing?
    The patrons that didn't participate would have gotten a scolding for their lack of voting skills.

This time...

Cheers,
    Mike

The patrons that didn't participate would have gotten a scolding for their lack of voting skills.

This time...

Cheers,
    Mike
    Really enjoying this Patreon approach Mike !
    The banter alone is worth the price of admission

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast