Thread: Keyframe Reduction

Keyframe Reduction

I need help in remembering how to do something. Some time ago I baked my motion mixer files to my character, but of course baking creates a keyframe on every frame. I then seem to remember going into the graph editor and there being a way to greatly reduce those keyframes. Can someone please remind me how to do this again? Thank you in advance.

Lightwave 3D 2015.3
    Dale L. Campbell Jr.
    Positive Productions Plus!

In the Graph Editor, drag over the keyframes in the curve that you want to reduce (for example, the Position.Z).
    Then in the Keys dropdown at the top of the window, go to Set Key Reduction Threshold at bottom. Set it to say, 100. Then, with the keyframes in the curve already selected, go to Keys > Reduce Keys. If that wasn't enough of a reduction, select Reduce Keys again. You can keep doing it to get to a level of reduction that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    In the Graph Editor, drag over the keyframes in the curve that you want to reduce (for example, the Position.Z).
    Then in the Keys dropdown at the top of the window, go to Set Key Reduction Threshold at bottom. Set it to say, 100. Then, with the keyframes in the curve already selected, go to Keys > Reduce Keys. If that wasn't enough of a reduction, select Reduce Keys again. You can keep doing it to get to a level of reduction that you like.
    Yes! that's it. Thank you Kevin
    Dale L. Campbell Jr.
    Positive Productions Plus!

If you are dealing with baked keyframes, there may be times where you want the keyframe reduction to be uniform (IE: you want Position/Rotation/Scale to all have keyframes on the same frames for easier editing without graph editor).

One approach is to visit preferences, set your FPS to a half or quarter of the original framerate, then go to the graph editor and quantize any desired keyframes (this eliminates inbetween keyframe data). Set the FPS back to its original value when done. Doing it this way will ensure your keyframe reduction is distributed evenly.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I thought Rebel Hill put out a free version of his reducer but can't find it now. Anyone recall that?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I thought Rebel Hill put out a free version of his reducer but can't find it now. Anyone recall that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCB4mbxAI8

The animation toolbox is bundled within the free version (and all other versions) of RHiggit... http://www.rebelhill.net/html/rhiggit.html
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.