Thread: New TC1 Update Messed UP PTZ Camera Control & Presets

New TC1 Update Messed UP PTZ Camera Control & Presets

Where did all the PTZ control go with the new TC1 update? I see that you can get to the PTZ in whatever input you set it to. The control surface no longer controls the camera, very bad! And where did the PTZ tab go??? I live on that tab during a broadcast so I can quickly change the camera. Now it looks like I have to:

1. Click the gear icon of the input
    2. Click the preset I want

That is more steps than just having the PTZ tab at the bottom. Even if I had the admin page open on another computer/screen, it doesn't show the video nor the preset thumbnail.

This is a bad update!

Changes to the control surface are described in the What's New doc you can view on launch, as well as the main docs. This includes PTZ control, which I can tell you in advance will be further updated in the next release.

As to the rest, note that (while we plan further updates in this area) previously you had to a) click the PTZ tab, if you were viewing DDRs as is often the case, b) click the camera icon you wanted to control, and c) click the preset. The new method often involves 1 less click, or at worst the same number. But you are no longer limited to 8 PTZ camera.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yeh guys, please fix it. It doesn't work at all even with the latest build. If you have ethernet cameras SDI going to the NCIO, then PTZ control don't work at all. Only works in "local input" but then you don't get any video....are we supposed to rewire the studio?

Quote Originally Posted by yottyboy View Post
    Yeh guys, please fix it. It doesn't work at all even with the latest build. If you have ethernet cameras SDI going to the NCIO, then PTZ control don't work at all. Only works in "local input" but then you don't get any video....are we supposed to rewire the studio?
    I don't think we're discussing the same thing here, can you explain a bit more? What does "ethernet cameras SDI going to the NCIO" mean?

To explain my confusion: NC I/O doesn't offer PTZ control, I don't think ... so you seem to be referring to control from TriCaster. But the cameras are coming in as NDI from and NC1 I/O? As far as I'm aware, has never passed PTZ control from a TriCaster back to an SDI camera connected to its inputs. Can you clarify your setup, please?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by yottyboy View Post
    Hi, I have the same issue. Panasonic PTZ cameras going SDI out to NC1io and NDI from the NC1io to a TC1. Cameras are set up with PTZ control using the Panasonic preset in TC1.
    On startup of the TC1, the NC1io is not to be found in the list of inputs, but the inputs already set up in the poject is coming in from the NC1io. It just says (connecting to...) on the inputs, but they work, and the PTZ control also work.
    But as soon as the TC1 establish a proper connection with the NC1io I lose PTZ control from the Tricaster. Maybe there is some kind of IP address confusion between the IP from the NC1io ndi signal and the IP set up in the Panasonic PTZ control?
    Does anyone have a solution for my issue? I'm running the latest version of TC1 and NC1io software.
    Thanks!

Anders

Quote Originally Posted by neverends View Post
    And where did the PTZ tab go??? I live on that tab during a broadcast so I can quickly change the camera. Now it looks like I have to:

1. Click the gear icon of the input
    2. Click the preset I want
    Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this? Any workarounds to suggest? I just yesterday ran this update (I typically wait as long as possible for reasons just like this) and the best, most useful aspect (to almost only us apparently) of this $20K machine is gone. As you said, we live(d) in the PTZ tab during a broadcast. I was nearly speechless. It's not just that the wonderfully large, immediately descriptive thumbnails of each preset are gone, it's that if I am a millimeter off in my attempt to click on the gear icon of the input picture, the LIVE feed switches to something I obviously did not want because I was trying to change to another preset. I suppose I understand trying to eliminate clutter, but to make it so easy to change to the wrong feed during a fast-moving production is a hard cost to pay.

I feel like I must be using the TC1 in a way that almost no one else does. We have four NewTek NDI PTZ cameras and shoot educational webcasts. This won't impact 2 person webcasts, as once the presets are set up they (typically) don't need to change, but a three or four person webcast with a moderator and PPT has basically become impossible for us without regularly slipping up and going live on a feed we didn't mean to. I genuinely don't understand this. It's not like they used the real estate for another tab -- they just removed it. But obviously it is not a priority for the majority because I couldn't find any other posts that mentioned the issue.

I am going to look into trying to re-assigning some buttons on my TC1SP to maybe at least reduce the risk of opening the input options panel that contains the presets. Maybe try a keyboard shortcut although up to now we have been able to keep the keyboard out of the way and really don't have the space for it conveniently at the desk. There must of been some very good design reason for this change but honestly I cannot figure out what it would be. And I don't understand why large and immediate low-risk access to all the NDI presets you've set up is not more important to more people, but like I said, I guess we are out of step. If someone knows something obvious I am missing, please enlighten me and I will gladly adjust our workflow. This was really disheartening and confusing.

I did go into Win10 and take an image of the TC1 before I updated (not my first rodeo) and I may just boot the TC1 to a usb and wipe everything and reimage it with what I had, but I've never done that and it sounds risky. But honestly, this is so disruptive to us that I am considering it. I wouldn't have updated, but the TC1 had started freezing up on us unpredictably and this update was suggested. So I may be stuck. Sigh.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvacle View Post
    Any workarounds to suggest?
    Comments inline ...

It's not just that the wonderfully large, immediately descriptive thumbnails of each preset are gone, it's that if I am a millimeter off in my attempt to click on the gear icon of the input picture, the LIVE feed switches to something I obviously did not want because I was trying to change to another preset.
    Please note that you can disable this behavior, if you wish. The Options menu has an item labeled "Click on Monitors to Switch". When this is disabled, double-clicking a source's viewport provides access to its presets.

But obviously it is not a priority for the majority because I couldn't find any other posts that mentioned the issue.
    Oh, I think there might have been one or two that you overlooked.

If someone knows something obvious I am missing, please enlighten me and I will gladly adjust our workflow.
    The impending update will introduce enhanced viewport options related to presets. In a manner somewhat similar to how you can currently assign a viewport to show timecode from a DDR, you will be able to assign a viewport to show preset thumbnails. (edit: I think someone posted leaked images of a beta in the forums a while back, around NAB time.)

This would let you, for example, set up an outboard multiview with a viewport showing each of your four PTZ cameras, with their presets immediately available - full time - right alongside the video. (I think this will be especially nice if you are using a touchscreen for that display.) Imho, this will be far more convenient than the original PTZ tab implementation in most respects.

I did go into Win10 and take an image of the TC1 before I updated (not my first rodeo) and I may just boot the TC1 to a usb and wipe everything and reimage it with what I had, but I've never done that and it sounds risky.
    I may be misunderstanding, but please note that TriCaster provides a dedicated custom backup and restore system expressly for this purpose.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator