Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Black Friday 2018 Wish List....

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Anyway Black Friday is over, and no money spent from my side, cause I really didnīt have any need to spend my money on anything.

Anyone out there who can say they In fact did make a very good deal?
    Huh? Black Friday is on 29th November 2019 as far as I know.

There are always some good deals for hardware and software in specific shops. However not in the big stores with the big red price tags.

Last year I got a RTX card and new Dell XPS notebook for a price that was never as low again afterwards plus software for 50% off. This year I don't really need anything but I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff. Maybe a laser tv or a Ryzen 3950x upgrade (but these new AMD chips are so new that I don't think there is much discount) .
    Last edited by Marander; 11-18-2019 at 01:34 AM.

I think he confused it with 11/11  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I think TFD is developed as a different plugin, or host etc...But it doesnīt give me any trustworthy picture of it all, I never got any answers on a couple of questions on his forums..and
    cinema4d is updated september this year.
    v1.0 Rev 1449
    2019-09-17

While Lightwave was updated, just before christmas last year..
    v1.0 Rev 1439
    2018-12-11

He changed the forums recently, personally I do not like the new forums, all the old ones seem gone..including my questions, and you donīt seem to have a section for cinema4d or Lightwave.
    FYI - about 4 hours ago

https://forum.jawset.com/t/status-of...ightwave/333/2
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

...He changed the forums recently, personally I do not like the new forums, all the old ones seem gone..including my questions, and you donīt seem to have a section for cinema4d or Lightwave.
    The old forum is still there, elsewhere.

https://old-forum.jawset.com

There may not be platform-specific forum sections if his intent is to offer a new version that is more platform-agnostic. In the near future, there may not need to be this distinction in discussion.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I think TFD is developed as a different plugin, or host etc...
    I saw a preview video of this new version very long ago but sorry to say - the 3D world has moved on.

There are Fluid and Particle solutions that are so feature rich, stable, easy-to-use and well integrated, I don't think this new version (standalone software with plugins) will raise much interest for 3D users outside the LW world.

I have TFD for both software and I cannot recommend it for LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    I saw a preview video of this new version very long ago but sorry to say - the 3D world has moved on...
    Observing a 4 year old video seems like a silly way to judge something.

https://forum.jawset.com/t/turbulenc...sion-2-0/104/2
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Observing a 4 year old video seems like a silly way to judge something.

https://forum.jawset.com/t/turbulenc...sion-2-0/104/2
    Well yes 4 years no official update while larger teams have developed and refined INTEGRATED solutions that are production proven in various Hollywood blockbusters (FumeFX, Phoenix FD, X-Particles, Bifrost, Houdini for example).

Well, finally I got a response on the development..though my previous questions about certain issues hasnīt been answered and some still not answered any more than a workaround to use conversion to VDB.

Here is jaschaīs reply..

"The Lightwave version of the plugin is still being maintained like the C4D version is. The C4D host and SDK has simply required more maintenance updates during the last year.

There will also be a major new feature release. The dev time that went into it is indeed long. That’s mostly because it’s not just an incremental upgrade, but a significant expansion of its scope. I’m hoping we can start previewing the new release relatively soon. There is going to be an open beta phase during which we can also discuss specific features.

BTW - a way to render TFD results with LW’s new volumetrics is to convert TFD’s cache to VDB using the bcf2vdb tool 3 and load those back into LW. Of course this extra step is not a permanent solution for future version"

And my latest reply...

"Thank you jascha, good to know…I will keep my eye on it.
    The workaroun of converting to vdb is a no no for me, due to the work behind it, and also quality and renderspeed issues with vdb, and the fact that it will always be non changable after the conversion.
    Previous versions of TFD hasīt met up to what I require, partly missing the particle advection, but also important things like weight map emission, and no fire and smoke openfl at the same time,
    that only exists as either smoke or fire.

The multiscattering was very slow and recalculates each little tweak, and I had a lot of crashes when tweaking the shader curves.
    Thus so it has come to the point that Iīve been focusing more on blender fluids, which allows for weight paint ( partly also because the weight paint is better in blender)
    and it can use that as emission source.
    Blender also have both fire and smoke presented in openGL, unlike TFD.
    Another aspect is that the blender forces that is used to push the fluids, will also push particles, and it will also push dynamics such as cloth or rigid bodies etc,
    this is not the case with TFD, neither can itīs forces affect lightwave particles, or bullet dynamics, neighter can Lightwaves bullet forces or old legacy forces affect the fluids,
    so there is a constant mismatch between the Lightwave fluid dynamics, itīs legacy dynamics, and newer bullet dynamics.

This is something you off course have no controll over, just wanted you to know where I see issues, where it in fact is a bit relevant also to workflows including fluids.
    That said, somethings TFD is doing better, seems to simulate much faster at higher resolutions, better convectional and turbulence control overall, easier to use textures to controll channels,
    I especially like the option to use multilayer procedurals with varied modes set, so I can get varied cloud height raising when doing such stuff, this is something that I do not find how to do in blender.

Iveībeen writing on the old forums, never got any answers on my later post…so I kind of lost interest and trust in the development of TFD, but glad to see it continued.
    It all depends on how Lightwave itself develops, a big part of me that has driven me to using blender more and more, is also the fact I have both CPU and GPU…and the GPU render in blender is quite decently fast,
    if it at some point goes out of memory because of to high resolution, short volume step rate, then I just switch to the CPU, the point is that I at least can get fast feedback at a decent volume step with while tweaking the shaders in blender.
    Blender is also now in experimental mode with a mantaflow branch, but that one I am not comfortable with, difficulties clearing cache and some other issues.

So…still a little interest of TFD, my first points would be…

Volume render engine PBR.
    Weigth emission.
    Fire and smoke at the same time in openGL
    Particle advection.
    No crashes while tweaking curves for the shading.

Thatīs my input.
    Good Luck on the development.
    /Michael "

Just noticed some sloppy spelling, on some parts...I beg you pardon, I need better glasses and stronger coffe, I know how to spell..but sometimes fingers or the connection just donīt work.

I'm glad to hear LW TFD is still being developed, but if I can't even load the current Mac LW version of the TFD 1443 plugin (and get no reply on emails sent to support about the issue), that makes such statements much less reassuring than they could have been.

BTW, TFD 1443 appears to be missing the libwx_*.dll files that were present in TFD 1427 (the last working version of TFD I have for Mac LW), maybe that has something to do with it? I tried copying the versions in 1427 to same spot in 1443 .plugin package, but that didn't do anything, probably not the right versions to satisfy the dependency (if one still exists).
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-18-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I'm glad to hear LW TFD is still being developed, but if I can't even load the current Mac LW version of the plugin (and get no reply on emails sent to support about the issue), that makes such statements much less reassuring than they could have been.

BTW, TFD 1443 appears to be missing the libwx_*.dll files that were present in TFD 1427 (the last working version of TFD I have for Mac LW), maybe that has something to do with it?
    If you havenīt done so, ask in the newer Jawset forum, I had to re-register, seems itīs not using the same account as the old forums.

Macīs is destined to have troubles with all kinds of third party plugins, I am glad I never have had any use for macīs, and I knew when investing in
    hardware and aiming for 3D, that wasnīt the choice to pick, but I understand it obviously seem to fill an important role for others.

Macīs is a destined to have troubles with all kinds of third party plugins, I am glad I never have had any use for macīs, and I knew when investing in
    hardware and aiming for 3D, that wasnīt the choice to pick, but I understand it obviously seem to fill an important role for others.
    Yep, not really interested in others' opinions of the viability of Macs, but will try posting in the new Jawset forum, thanks!
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-18-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yep, not really interested in others' opinions of the viability of Macs, but will try the new Jawset forum, thanks!
    Yep..I know,sorry for that..the devil on my back was poking me in the eye..couldnīt resist.
    Sorry..for the besserwisser attitude.

For the fluids, apart from TurbulenceFD actually catching up with blender fluids(in some areas), that is weight emission, fire and smoke at the same time in openGL...one of the bigger issues as I menitone, is how
    forces are working in sync, blender forces works on the full range spectrum of the dynamics, where we in lightwave have 3 engines of forces, and they are only specially designed for either the bullet system the old legacy system or the fluid system, neither of them work with the other systems.

Mantaflow in eeve is a mystery to me though, not working properly to clear cache and replaying, so I may stick to the older fluid system for a while, and follow Jaschaīs progress of TFD, some fluid setups is easier and more initiuve to work with in TFD than in blender fluids, (apart from setting the containers up...quick smoke is very nice, avoiding to individually having to add and set properties of the basics)

I'm glad to hear LW TFD is still being developed, but if I can't even load the current Mac LW version of the TFD 1443 plugin (and get no reply on emails sent to support about the issue), that makes such statements much less reassuring than they could have been.

BTW, TFD 1443 appears to be missing the libwx_*.dll files that were present in TFD 1427 (the last working version of TFD I have for Mac LW), maybe that has something to do with it? I tried copying the versions in 1427 to same spot in 1443 .plugin package, but that didn't do anything, probably not the right versions to satisfy the dependency (if one still exists).
    Problems not only on Mac...

For me in Win10 any TFD version higher than 9xx doesn't work in any LW installation (workstations and laptops) where there's GPU present.

Tried all possible ways to install and configure with different versions of LW and TFD. It crashes LW instantly. TFD plugin outside Newtek folder and using latest Nvidia drivers of course. Maybe a CUDA library conflict with another software.

Works only in a VMware installation.

I know it's something specific in my software combination and not happening to most users but all other CUDA accelerated software run fine.

My Jawset support request was never answered and also LW support didn't want to look into the crash dumps.

Luckily TFD works just fine in Cinema and Redshift.

Still hoping I can use it in LW one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Problems not only on Mac...

For me in Win10 any TFD version higher than 9xx doesn't work in any LW installation (workstations and laptops) where there's GPU present.

Tried all possible ways to install and configure with different versions of LW and TFD. It crashes LW instantly. TFD plugin outside Newtek folder and using latest Nvidia drivers of course. Maybe a CUDA library conflict with another software.

Works only in a VMware installation.

I know it's something specific in my software combination and not happening to most users but all other CUDA accelerated software run fine.

My Jawset support request was never answered and also LW support didn't want to look into the crash dumps.

Luckily TFD works just fine in Cinema and Redshift.

Still hoping I can use it in LW one day.
    I really wouldnīt like to start investigating and investing in another software like cinema4D, which also is quite expensive....though the TFD version in there seem better implemented, I think it has particle advection..which lightwave hasnīt
    ..How about weight emission, can you paint a weightmap and have TFD directly emitt fluids from that? or do you need to do a workaround and first initiate the emission with particles and then use that for the fluids?

These latest post should belong in some TFD thread and not in a black friday thread, if the moderators is up to moving some of the posts.

I really wouldnīt like to start investigating and investing in another software like cinema4D, which also is quite expensive....though the TFD version in there seem better implemented, I think it has particle advection..which lightwave hasnīt
    ..How about weight emission, can you paint a weightmap and have TFD directly emitt fluids from that? or do you need to do a workaround and first initiate the emission with particles and then use that for the fluids?
    Yes a simple click the 'use vertex map' checkbox in the TFD Emitter tag does exactly that.

In addition any texture / material can be used too for fluid emission, based on color, luminance, alpha and more.

And Vertex maps can be generated by painting or procedurally (for example based on the point velocity of a mesh, object collision, fields - basically anything going on in the scene)

That's one example where an integrated solution is better that a separate application with host plugins (what TFD2 seems to be). But let's see how that's solved once it's available.
    Last edited by Marander; 11-18-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast