Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Black Friday 2018 Wish List....

3d Coat
    Octane Render
    Tree Designer

Pretty much in that order, but definitely not all for Black Friday. Probably just get 3d Coat and Tree Designer, unless both 3d Coat and Octane have incredible deals of some kind.

Yes, I agree. 3D Coat and Octane. Also FD Turbulence. Missed the buy-in on that one.

I've been toying with buying a foliage app like SpeedTree for a while. A good BF sale price could pull me in.

Then there's "environmental" apps like Vue, Terragen, terrain generators like World Creator or World Machine ...

Marvelous Designer possibly.

On the LW front, if 3rd Powers were to bundle their stuff into one attractive price, I might have to go for it.
    Last edited by tburbage; 11-03-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    3d Coat
    Octane Render
    Tree Designer

Pretty much in that order, but definitely not all for Black Friday. Probably just get 3d Coat and Tree Designer, unless both 3d Coat and Octane have incredible deals of some kind.
    Keep an eye on the 3D Coat forums. As I recall, they almost always do a BF deal...

In my six years using Octane, I don't believe I ever once saw any kind of seasonal sales. Just get it RPSchmidt. And put it before 3DCoat. It will change your life. Just make sure you have at least two kickass GPUs to thoroughly enjoy it. Three or more, and your dang mind will be blown.

:-/ Anyone know the reason for price discrepancies between LWCAD for LW, LWCAD for 3DSMax and LWCAD for C4D?...
    Last edited by Norka; 11-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    :-/ Anyone know the reason for price discrepancies between LWCAD for LW, LWCAD for 3DSMax and LWCAD for C4D?...
    LWCAD for LW has more tools that are not required in the other applications (Splines or modeling tools like Rounder for example).

LWCAD for 3DSMax and C4D contains all the architecture tools. The LWCAD objects are parametric / non-destructive and work nicely with native tools and plugins, that takes it to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post

Marvelous Designer possibly.
    Marvelous Designer is typically 30% off for Black Friday. Can't recommend it enough. Much better than syflex or bullet.

Giger! You're still around! I saw you had some stuff for sale a ways back and thought you must have left LW.. Which would be sad, because that would screw with the Ohio-LW-Users phenomenon that we have going here...
    Last edited by Norka; 11-03-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Giger! You're still around! I saw you had some stuff for sale a ways back and thought you must have left LW.. Which would be sad, because that would screw with the Ohio-LW-Users phenomenon that we have going here...
    yes, old habits die hard. Sold my LW license. Ohio user not represented here. You still have Ryan Roye though...

In my six years using Octane, I don't believe I ever once saw any kind of seasonal sales. Just get it RPSchmidt. And put it before 3DCoat. It will change your life. Just make sure you have at least two kickass GPUs to thoroughly enjoy it. Three or more, and your dang mind will be blown.

That's understandable. But it will have to wait... I really need to get my texturing process streamlined. Right now I go through multiple hoops to get textures the way I want them and it takes up a considerable amount of my time.

I've been thinking about a Cintiq, mostly for ZBrush. Does anyone have any experience with these? The 22HD Pen Display is close to my price range, but for a little more I could get the Cintiq Pro 24. Is it worth it?
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    I've been thinking about a Cintiq, mostly for ZBrush. Does anyone have any experience with these? The 22HD Pen Display is close to my price range, but for a little more I could get the Cintiq Pro 24. Is it worth it?
    I use a Cintiq 21ux at work and it's similar to the 22 HD but in the old 4:3 ratio and it works fine for desktop work. At home I consider to buy a cheaper pen display like Huion or something, seems as good as Cintig but cheaper. look at some reviews. I have not used or seen the new 24 pro model yet, but it looks to be thinner and lighter. We have some big ones (24-27") here at the studio with that awful big ergo stand, it's super bulky and heavy, most designers here prefer the 21ux and 22hd instead of the big ones.

Note that a normal tablet can work as good or better because you don't have your hands blocking all the menus as you do with a cintiq. I know several good artists that has gone back to normal tablets instead of using cintiq, it's a matter of taste. Look at Feng Zhu, I've heard he uses a normal tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I use a Cintiq 21ux at work and it's similar to the 22 HD but in the old 4:3 ratio and it works fine for desktop work. At home I consider to buy a cheaper pen display like Huion or something, seems as good as Cintig but cheaper. look at some reviews. I have not used or seen the new 24 pro model yet, but it looks to be thinner and lighter. We have some big ones (24-27") here at the studio with that awful big ergo stand, it's super bulky and heavy, most designers here prefer the 21ux and 22hd instead of the big ones.

Note that a normal tablet can work as good or better because you don't have your hands blocking all the menus as you do with a cintiq. I know several good artists that has gone back to normal tablets instead of using cintiq, it's a matter of taste. Look at Feng Zhu, I've heard he uses a normal tablet.
    Very good tips. Thank you! I think I may prefer working with a screen instead of a tablet. I have a small tablet now and it just seems awkward to be drawing in one place, but looking in another.

Edit: I've watching some reviews on YouTube and mostly they're positive, with only minor complaints. One display seems to get consistently good reviews: XP-PEN. Significantly less expensive than the Cintiq, but very similar quality. That may be the direction.

Thanks again for suggesting the alternatives!
    Last edited by sadkkf; 11-07-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Hello. I'm using a Huion GT-221 for a dual monitor setup. The tablet serves as my 2nd monitor for Modeler. I haven't tried using the pen yet with Lightwave. But I want to mention that the grid in Modeler is usually off-center when I'm modelling in the perspective window. Don't know if that's supposed to happen.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    Hello. I'm using a Huion GT-221 for a dual monitor setup. The tablet serves as my 2nd monitor for Modeler. I haven't tried using the pen yet with Lightwave. But I want to mention that the grid in Modeler is usually off-center when I'm modelling in the perspective window. Don't know if that's supposed to happen.
    That's an interesting idea...using the tablet as a monitor. I've read you may need to change the display settings for a tablet vs. a monitor. Are you on Windows or Mac?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast