Thread: Why not make SpeedHQ an industry standard?

Lightbulb Why not make SpeedHQ an industry standard?

Hello!
    There were some topics about Adobe ending support for QuickTime codecs and how to deal with it but I've come up with a wider idea. SpeedHQ has pros and cons but the main selling point for me is support for alpha and more resolutions/framerates over XDCAM. So why won't you NewTek try to convince biggest players like Adobe to add native support for SpeedHQ (or make up to date plugins yourself where possible) to make it an industry standard for a fast (non resource-heavy) recording and editing codec for broadcast environments? It would also open new possibilities for NDI (that if i'm correct uses SpeedHQ) like recording an editing-ready stream without the need for any transcoding and could lead to even wider NDI adoption because it would solve most of the problems that Cinegy is trying to solve with their MXFstream concept.

Quote Originally Posted by IanShade View Post
    Hello!
    There were some topics about Adobe ending support for QuickTime codecs and how to deal with it but I've come up with a wider idea. SpeedHQ has pros and cons but the main selling point for me is support for alpha and more resolutions/framerates over XDCAM. So why won't you NewTek try to convince biggest players like Adobe to add native support for SpeedHQ (or make up to date plugins yourself where possible) to make it an industry standard for a fast (non resource-heavy) recording and editing codec for broadcast environments? It would also open new possibilities for NDI (that if i'm correct uses SpeedHQ) like recording an editing-ready stream without the need for any transcoding and could lead to even wider NDI adoption because it would solve most of the problems that Cinegy is trying to solve with their MXFstream concept.
    SpeedHQ decode has been added to the FFMPEG libraries, this in a way makes it an industry standard for any applications that are using these libraries (like VLC Player). Most applications are turning to FFMPEG for media support, however Adobe does not and has their own media foundation libraries.

At IBC 2018, Dr Andrew Cross mentioned that NDI 4.0 would include 'recording' capabilities. I'm not 100% sure what it all means, but I believe that is when what you are asking for will come to pass.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Why not develop a plugin for Adobe? Cinegy has their Daniel2 encoding as well as decoding working in the latest Premiere Pro CC through their plugin with no problems.