Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow BandGlue

Slow BandGlue

I`m trying 2018, fooling around in modeler and noticed that Bandglue if painfully slow. Stripe with 200 polygons take more than minute !!! Is it "normal" in 2018 ? And why it is switching from polygons to edges every time ??!?! (after bandglueing)
    Last edited by fazi69; 10-17-2018 at 03:06 AM.

yep, super-slow.

once Modeler has a re-write it will be fixed.

try, dissolve loop, still slow, but might be faster.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

at least bandglue start to support symmetry.. actually i think it is clear loop masked into bandglue as it acts like edge delete once executed it automaticly switch selection to edges
    new web page up www.null.hr

It's been reported to the NT, there is still open case so they know it .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by fazi69 View Post
    I`m trying 2018, fooling around in modeler and noticed that Bandglue if painfully slow. Stripe with 200 polygons take more than minute !!! Is it "normal" in 2018 ? And why it is switching from polygons to edges every time ??!?! (after bandglueing)
    You can always get SwiftEdgeLoop..

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yep, super-slow.

erm, no, it just need to be like 2015

erm, yes!

the speed is cringy. a rewrite is needed. this goes for a dozen other tools as well.

Last edited by erikals; 10-17-2018 at 12:38 PM.

TrueArt Support
    Bandglue was written in really old times. In LW v9.0 there has been added edge functions to SDK. In older times tool/plugin had to analyze entire mesh to find edge loop. After adding edge functions, analyze of entire mesh is no longer needed.

anyway, it will be interesting to see what NewTek will do in this regard.

Last edited by erikals; 10-17-2018 at 12:23 PM.

yep, super-slow.

Dissolve loop and dissolve or delete and edge seem to be much much slower than bandglue, so that is the opposite of what you think.
    And band glue isnīt really edge dissolve like in houdini.

Try detail, edit edges and shift click on any edge loop to delete it, it will be deleted faster than dissolve loop, not sure if it is faster than bandglue, will have to test on a denser object.

We need the proper polyamount statistics of any test object...whatīs the poly count in yours?

Dissolve loop and dissolve or delete and edge seem to be much much slower than bandglue, so that is the opposite of what you think.
    And band glue isnīt really edge dissolve like in houdini.

Try detail, edit edges and shift click on any edge loop to delete it, it will be deleted faster than dissolve loop, not sure if it is faster than bandglue, will have to test on a denser object.
    you're right, i mixed these up, been a long time, so totally forgot. you're 100% correct.

i should know, made a video on it...

We need the proper polyamount statistics of any test object...whatīs the poly count in yours?
    1500x1500 segments

tried the same in Blender 2.77 and 2.8... surprisingly Blender came to a halt.

it wouldn't crunch it until i lowered the segments to 500x500

you're right, i mixed these up, been a long time, so totally forgot. you're 100% correct.

i should know, made a video on it...

1500x1500 segments
    It just shows you are at least not a brat

That is one of the major issues in blender, Lightwave actually deals better with displacements and denser polys than blender, with one exception..and that is when you enter sculpt mode in blender..which is a bit optimized, and modifiying topology with sculpt tools is much faster than some modify tools in Lightwave, but as once as you go in to edit mode only in blender...not so fast.

It just shows you are at least not a brat 
    Thanks, i try  

That is one of the major issues in blender, Lightwave actually deals better with displacements and denser polys than blender, with one exception..and that is when you enter sculpt mode in blender..which is a bit optimized, and modifiying topology with sculpt tools is much faster than some modify tools in Lightwave, but as once as you go in to edit mode only in blender...not so fast.
    yes, almost as if Blender is using two different mesh engines or something. 

(i'm no Pro though, so have absolutely no idea how programmers would go about it...

It's the fault of the algorithm used to generate a sphere in Blender's sphere generator code. I compared with the extra meshes addon which includes a quadsphere, and used 600 divisions, resulting in a 2.160.002 faces sphere, which is on par with your 1500x1500 sphere in regards to polygon count. It took ~8 seconds on my aging machine to generate.

Trying to achieve a 1500x1500 sphere with the regular sphere object will take forever: as far as I can tell, it's looping through the whole lot again and again and again, grinding down to a halt. The code is open source of course, but I did not bother to look. The abysmal performance of the regular sphere object generator code is obvious when compared to the extra meshes addon's quadsphere, which I believe to be more calculation intensive in the first place.

I think it's a legacy thing: no-one bothered to write a performant sphere generation algorithm in the past because who would ever need such a high-poly sphere? And the code never got replaced by a more efficient one.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast