Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lightwave 2020 NEW GUI

I like blender UI more and more.
    finally, it is moving more towards the general standard instead of the "do it different for the sake of difference"
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I really donīt see anything new than a kind of HUD statistics info, and a for uneccesary distratction made by that orange highlight in 3 places..not of my liking.

I like blender UI more and more.
    I could understand with your sentiment. The orange was just a personal cosmetic; that wasn't meant for anything official. It's hard because every one is used to this classic layout, so to go on the safe side, I was thinking either stick with the classic UI and enhance it in areas that are vacant, or do what Zbrush has, dockable buttons/menus.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64GB RAM, Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K, Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5000

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

no fan, the majority of the "often accessed" menus should be at the top, always, not the bottom, way more efficient, and definitely creates less stress on the wrist/hand. especially when using a Wacom.

does it look nice, yes, is it efficient, no.
    Menus can be switched between header and footer. That's always been the case. I switched the menu area to the footer of the window for the sake of this GUI example.

The new GUI is Wacom friendlier now that on-screen viewport navigation are possible (which can be turned off). The size of those orbit controls are nice too for Wacom use, and of course the entire GUI seamlessly scales up and down.

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

finally, it is moving more towards the general standard instead of the "do it different for the sake of difference"
    Left click seems to be the standard now in V2.8! (but can still be set to right)
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

no fan, the majority of the "often accessed" menus should be at the top, always, not the bottom, way more efficient, and definitely creates less stress on the wrist/hand. especially when using a Wacom.

does it look nice, yes, is it efficient, no.
    I suspect you should be able to right click on that bottom menu and flip to top, as usually?

hmm...that printscreen doesnīt look like my Eeeve 2.80 alpha 2, so what version may that be,

Edt...forgot to read the thread properly, Rayek already answered this about flipping to header or footer for the menus.

hmm...that printscreen doesnīt look like my Eeeve 2.80 alpha 2, so what version may that be
    Yeah, I was wondering that as well, as it doesn't resemble my 2.80 either.

However, in fairness, as there's already multiple Blender threads elsewhere, perhaps we can keep this thread focused on LW GUI improvements, instead of Blender stuff?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Of the many things I like about LW, one is that the buttons are clearly labeled. I think this feature is especially helpful for new or beginning students who are probably overwhelmed with the entire program to begin with.

This quote in Lightwave 3D v 10 by Ablan in 2011 is still apropos.

"Lightwave 10 is uncluttered yet very functional. Many programs fill up the screen with useless icons; thankfully, LightWave names buttons clearly. This enables you to focus on creative goals instead of having to figure out what a particular icon means." page 173

Hopefully, the new interface will allows users the option of toggling between the new interface and the classic or current interface.

Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    This quote in Lightwave 3D v 10 by Ablan in 2011 is still apropos.
    It never was.

Dan seemed to have missed the point that in other applications, the user can switch between Icons / Text / Icons & Text with a simple right click in in the individual places of the application (or similar settings).

If I want I can create a LW style UI in another application, LW on the other hand has almost no customization options.

Maybe he was comparing LW to Truespace.
    Last edited by Marander; 12-24-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    It never was.

Dan seemed to have missed the point that in other applications, the user can switch between Icons / Text / Icons & Text with a simple right click in in the individual places of the application (or similar settings).

If I want I can create a LW style UI in another application, LW on the other hand has almost no customization options.

Maybe he was comparing LW to Truespace.
    If you can give me Lightwave UI and how the workflow goes when navigating and using layout as a movie stage, within blender...then I would thankfully recieve such a christmas present
    Just a long as I can keep the UI color design and preferences that goes with blender.

If you can give me Lightwave UI and how the workflow goes when navigating and using layout as a movie stage, within blender...then I would thankfully recieve such a christmas present
    Just a long as I can keep the UI color design and preferences that goes with blender.
    How is Layout more a movie stage than blender? What workflow is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    How is Layout more a movie stage than blender? What workflow is missing?
    Acess to camera, lights, objects in a fixed placed, not in some Outliner which dynamicly changes if you add any items, or scroll through the menus.
    Lightwave have these buttons fixed at the same place, you can never go wrong or go lost in finding it quickly.
    In fact...I think this is what kind of makes Lightwave unique compared to other software..which mostly puts these elements in to outliners, or shader trees.

If we want a movie stage feel, lights cameras and actors / items are the most important stuff...not any carpenter tools in the scene, that statement suggest that most other software is constructed as 3d creation tools, not on focus on a film making process...or should I just say, make the scene layout feel like a movie stage.

The same goes for the navigation controls, as opposed to the transform scroll tab in blender, which changes dynamicly depending on if you change other parameters..which undoubtly will change the place in the scroll menu where your transforms settings are...the Lightwave navigation controls are fixed always at one place at the bottome left corner, you do not have to worry about scrolling any transform tab and go through the hoops to locate it, they are always where you expect them to be.

Then we have the window setup, I prefer having a window setup that I can change viewport size by clicking on it and resize them, deciding which viewport I want bigger or other smaller with just dragging them, by default you can not do that in blender, they are fixed, you need to drag out windows manually and set them up..preferably save to some preference state for it to be there all the time.

Also, each viewport in blender can not be changed by a selectable viewport list unlike lightwave, you need to be aware of the the shortcut, or go in to view and within a much larger list find the viewport you want, thatīs more clicks and messing than in Lightwave.
    Blender needs..click on desired viewport, then go to view/viewpoint/ left etc..

In Lightwave you just go to the desired viewports dropdown list and select left or right or whatever, itīs faster and less convoluted workflow I think, If you use blender a lot with shortcuts, the experience may be something else though..but I donīt like it in blender when it comes to viewports.

I also have dislikes about how you need to seet viewport wireframe settings per object (though in some cases that may be prefered) should be an option though...I prefer to set viewport shading options within the viewport mostly.

Thatīs some of it..not all of it.

I also find camera targeting much easier and natural to set up in Lightwave..as opposed to how it works in blender with adding constraints..and actually making sure coordinates is set up correctly for it to behave nicely, in lightwave I just select my added camera target and it works from scratch, which I feel it doesnīt do in blender.

@prometheus Do many people actually still use the standard cameras in 3d software for complex shots? For any more involved shot I use either my own camera rigs, or use a built-in one, like the dolly camera rig in Blender. Even when I still worked in Lightwave, I'd have my own camera rigs to get a better feel to the shots. Without a proper camera rig it just feels too uncontrollable (no matter the software), and it is also harder to maintain that "real" physical camera look. Nowadays I even use them for simplistic shots (like the one in the example below).

Here's an example for Lightwave: http://artstorm.net/journal/2011/10/...-lightwave-3d/

Have to say, though, I do prefer Lightwave's nice camera viewport model over most other 3d software. As for the other stuff? It's personal, I guess. Whether C4D, Lightwave, Blender, Max, Modo (the ones I have experience with),... they all have their pros and cons in terms of camera/movie stage workflow. I suppose it makes sense for Layout to be more "stage" oriented, since it's a split app. More of a happy legacy coincidence thing than a conscious design choice at this point, I think.

Below an example of a simple dolly rig. I like having more rigid control over my cameras/shots.

And Happy Holidays everyone! :-)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456