Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020 NEW GUI

It's kinda nice to be able to at least change the font and sizing through a command line. I recently switched the font to Open Sans and LW looks so much cleaner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	143226

Name:	font2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	143225
    Last edited by pbaroque20; 10-26-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64GB RAM, Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K, Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5000

Quote Originally Posted by pbaroque20 View Post
    It's kinda nice to be able to at least change the font and sizing through a command line. I recently switched the font to Open Sans and LW looks so much cleaner.

Yes, looks a little better...the default fonts is more condensed and also larger height, and especially noticable in the values number settings.
    You also changed the list background color to a similar tone as modo has, I prefer that as well..it is slightly more saturated towards a blue grey tone and it helps distinguis black text better than the default pure desatururated black on grey.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Just donīt want that comment to be hanging there as an unknown fruit, clarification of what kind it is may be needed here
    I am sure some folks understand that comment
    I can only guess though..that it is a no to something(or agreeing?)... but something in this case is very unspecific.
    I know I'm late to the conversation but I can't let the banana hang like this

Options are "Close, but no cigar" or "Nice try, but no cigar", widely attributed to the prize of a cigar in old US fairground competitions.

"Close, but no no banana" is the one I also know better, and use, but the only thing I can come up with is down to all my reading of Garfield as a kid:

- web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes, looks a little better...the default fonts is more condensed and also larger height, and especially noticable in the values number settings.
    You also changed the list background color to a similar tone as modo has, I prefer that as well..it is slightly more saturated towards a blue grey tone and it helps distinguis black text better than the default pure desatururated black on grey.
    If you know other UI fonts I would be happy to try them out. :-). Regarding your post on icons, I think LW should make the option for a icon/text based UI. Inkscape is a great tool and I think users would customize LW icons if that option was available. It makes things so much more friendlier towards the user knowing that there could be UI packs, which can include UI colors, and gizmos as well. Hopefully their QT UI will be developed further for that kind of thing. I love to mod my Windows 7 visuals to make it look like Win 10, and my bottom screen has a pop-up similar to the Mac's dock for easy software access, and main toolbar is set on top like the Mac. OD Pie Menu system has something for context-based menus and it does help; eventually I'll have to get that but unfortunately it's only for Layout. My left-mouse button context menu in modeler is such a huge list taking up the whole screen of modeling tools and utilities which would be cool to split into two tables. That convenience should be native.
    Last edited by pbaroque20; 10-27-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64GB RAM, Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K, Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5000

The font's support from the shortcut path is not conveniant.
    I never has been able to handle change font when switching from Layout to Modeler (with hub).

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    The font's support from the shortcut path is not conveniant.
    I never has been able to handle change font when switching from Layout to Modeler (with hub).
    There's no good reason for it not to be a general setting that takes effect on next reboot (and would be better set per-app as well).

Meh. When even the "lowest-hanging fruit"-type requests go nowhere, it's difficult to maintain any care or concern.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-30-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    There's no good reason for it not to be a general setting that takes effect on next reboot (and would be better set per-app as well).

Meh. When even the "lowest-hanging fruit"-type requests go nowhere, it's difficult to maintain any care or concern.
    Less a low hanging fruit request than a low-priority request.

Considering all of the feature requests and fixes on this forum and any potential new features or improvements they may be working on now, I personally would prefer they spend zero precious development time on font support and focus on far more crucial items already identified.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Less a low hanging fruit request than a low-priority request.

Considering all of the feature requests and fixes on this forum and any potential new features or improvements they may be working on now, I personally would prefer they spend zero precious development time on font support and focus on far more crucial items already identified.
    Right now, changing LW's display font is one of the only effective means for addressing LW's HiDPI legibility problems in Windows, even adjusting display scaling often creates more problems than it solves. The cmd-line-based approach for font control is fragile and unreliable. Being able to easily control and try out different display fonts (ideally with much better diagnostics about "draws exceeding bounds", selection / "font not found", etc.) is quite important to LW font control (itself, again, important for HiDPI-mode display users).

Just because a problem isn't bothering you does NOT mean it isn't a serious problem for others.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Right now, changing LW's display font is one of the only effective means for addressing LW's HiDPI legibility problems in Windows, even adjusting display scaling often creates more problems than it solves. The cmd-line-based approach for font control is fragile and unreliable. Being able to easily control and try out different display fonts (ideally with much better diagnostics about "draws exceeding bounds", selection / "font not found", etc.) is quite important to LW font control (itself, again, important for HiDPI-mode display users).
    The effective means for addressing HiDPI legibility issues is to rebuild the GUI.

Rebuilding the GUI would also address multiple issues simultaneously and in my opinion is a higher priority than simply coding a solution to the font issue.

Just because a problem isn't bothering you does NOT mean it isn't a serious problem for others.
    Pretty sure I covered that when I said "I personally would prefer" but regardless, it really boils down to the number of overall complaints about the font issue versus the overall number of complaints about the lack of scalability of the entire GUI, the effort required for each, and the payoff for each.

If I can solve the font issue by building a new, scalable GUI that will also solve other visibility issues and ensure future scalability, that is the target I would be shooting for. The payoff is bigger in the long run.

This is a quick mockup I made in Photoshop. I like to work in full-screen and have everything context-menu based on mouse/hotkeyed, unless I absolutely need to access the toolbar for something more specific. The red areas are designated for possible additions to the main UI. I always thought the statistics border that comes with standard Windows looked out of place in a LW setting and adds pixels of clutter. Would be nice of an interactive OpenGL statistics table on the top right, and the top left basic information about the layer or even file. The top red square could be for quick access of layer management instead of F7 since it's right next to the layer select area. The bottom red bar could be used for other quick utilities like sketch color, or maybe even set all other layers in the background except the one selected. There so much space on the bottom I would think maybe there would be a way to add some convenient tools.

Name:	mockup jpeg.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	143334

This is a quick mockup I made in Photoshop.

Your mockup reminds me a bit of this setup. Scene//mesh and Layer controls in the same spot, point/edge/polygon mode as well (although icons in this case), it displays the number of poygons (although in a different spot: right bottom), various often-used tools/modes in the bottom footer similar to yours. Viewport controls are also there, although catercorner to yours, but still same intent. Also that quick menu to select contextural actions. I turned off the viewport controls, and when active those are positioned in the top right corner, just like Lightwave's and your mockup. Colours are a different, but I just decided to go with a darker look (Modo).

Interesting you came up with a very similar viewport design/layout as the maximized viewport in Blender v2.8 Alpha.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Lol I had no idea. I don't use Blender so I'm not familiar with its UI history. The OpenGL info was inspired by Maya but I don't see why LW could not make use of that to its benefit like a statistics info in the viewport. I don't think this approach is unrealistic for developers. Just those little additions would enhance the experience and feel comprehensive. Since most of the action is in the middle of the screen, putting stuff on the corners shouldn't be much of a hassle. When navigating with Alt+Drag it shouldn't conflict accidentally pressing the statistics corner. I think it'll work and it'll still be within a text-based UI. I certainly feel that LW, with it's original intent to be a speedy modeler, would be efficient in full-screen, so developers hopefully can keep a note on that as a design focus. Just my opinion

That Blender UI actually looks really nice btw.
    Last edited by pbaroque20; 11-09-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Where is the OP?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

the maximized viewport in Blender v2.8 Alpha.
    no fan, the majority of the "often accessed" menus should be at the top, always, not the bottom, way more efficient, and definitely creates less stress on the wrist/hand. especially when using a Wacom.

does it look nice, yes, is it efficient, no.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

This is a quick mockup I made in Photoshop. I like to work in full-screen and have everything context-menu based on mouse/hotkeyed, unless I absolutely need to access the toolbar for something more specific. The red areas are designated for possible additions to the main UI. I always thought the statistics border that comes with standard Windows looked out of place in a LW setting and adds pixels of clutter. Would be nice of an interactive OpenGL statistics table on the top right, and the top left basic information about the layer or even file. The top red square could be for quick access of layer management instead of F7 since it's right next to the layer select area. The bottom red bar could be used for other quick utilities like sketch color, or maybe even set all other layers in the background except the one selected. There so much space on the bottom I would think maybe there would be a way to add some convenient tools.

I really donīt see anything new than a kind of HUD statistics info, and a for uneccesary distratction made by that orange highlight in 3 places..not of my liking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Your mockup reminds me a bit of this setup. Scene//mesh and Layer controls in the same spot, point/edge/polygon mode as well (although icons in this case), it displays the number of poygons (although in a different spot: right bottom), various often-used tools/modes in the bottom footer similar to yours. Viewport controls are also there, although catercorner to yours, but still same intent. Also that quick menu to select contextural actions. I turned off the viewport controls, and when active those are positioned in the top right corner, just like Lightwave's and your mockup. Colours are a different, but I just decided to go with a darker look (Modo).

Interesting you came up with a very similar viewport design/layout as the maximized viewport in Blender v2.8 Alpha.
    I like blender UI more and more.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast