Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020 NEW GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I think for the most part LW looks pretty good. But looks and how it works are two different things, so before they put a pretty picture on it I hope they fix some of it's outdated paradigms. These designs by motiondigital look pretty good, however I really like Matt's design style as well.
    In practice, the two are efffectively linked. Switching to Qt or another more modern UI/UX engine as replacement for the main UI engine and infrastructure will bring all sorts of improvements in 2D glyph/curve/line rendering, HiDPI support, and general UI appearance, because those cross-platform GP UI toolkits are all "up-to-date" in that regard (unlike LW's native UI engine).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

No thanks. I will take text.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by djlithium View Post
    No thanks. I will take text.
    Pragmatically, whatever direction they go (again, seems like Qt has already been selected), the new UI engine needs to support icons, text, icons & text, etc. -- and Qt does. There's just no good justification in this day and age for being limited to one or the other by the UI engine itself. A decently flexible, configurable UI should support whichever the user selects.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    In practice, the two are efffectively linked. Switching to Qt or another more modern UI/UX engine as replacement for the main UI engine and infrastructure will bring all sorts of improvements in 2D glyph/curve/line rendering, HiDPI support, and general UI appearance, because those cross-platform GP UI toolkits are all "up-to-date" in that regard (unlike LW's native UI engine).
    I was surprised how poorly QT was implemented in Core. Sloooooow. So far with what QT they have added to 2018 I am very impressed.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by motiondigital View Post
    Hi All

This is an update to my earlier UI/UX design. I spoke earlier about a contextual menu that should combine similar tools into a group.

This is a work in progress.

Attachment 143113Attachment 143112Attachment 143114Attachment 143115
    I really like the clean appearance, the combination of tools and flyouts, and the structure.

I would condense the OBJECT / MATERIAL / IMAGE tab and just have an OBJECT tab with MATERIAL and IMAGE as subs, context-sensitive.

That way, when I click on an object, a dropdown shows all of the materials applied to the object with arrows beside each material for a material settings flyout for their specific properties and the image editor open below that so that when I select a material with an image, it automatically opens it.

I also wish all of the buttons and tabs were more compressed; not miniscule, but smaller and thinner than they are now.

Also, I seriously dislike the transform tool shown here; it reminds me of Truespace and I wasn't a big fan of that tool. It always seemed really clunky.

I wonder how difficult this would be to prototype in Adobe XD using UWP?

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Also, I seriously dislike the transform tool shown here; it reminds me of Truespace and I wasn't a big fan of that tool. It always seemed really clunky.
    I believe that's a direct copy of the LW11-and-beyond Modeler Transform tool's gizmo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW_Transform_Gizmo.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	143137
    John W.

I use the modified Transform tool gizmo. I really enjoy to work with aesthetically pleasing things lol. Would be cool to switch these around easily inside of Modeler to fit a user's taste.

Name:	lwmodgizmo.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	143138
    Last edited by pbaroque20; 10-18-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64GB RAM, Processor: Intel Core i7-4930K, Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro P5000

Quote Originally Posted by pbaroque20 View Post
    I use the modified Transform tool gizmo. I really enjoy to work with aesthetically pleasing things lol. Would be cool to switch these around easily inside of Modeler to fit a user's taste.

Name:	lwmodgizmo.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	143138
    Maybe a bit off topic, more of a tool function than the UI perhaps... but in blender for instance, it is nice to have a gizmo available (optional to turn of that widget is available) when you hit "e" for extend ...by default the extension will be done in the normal direction, which
    is great, while in Lightwave it is required to use ctrl to constrain the extended direction, I think that is not as smooth and good as in blender, using another extend direction than the normal direction is in my eyes not
    so frequently needed..as a normal direction, now in blender you can use the gizmo handles to extend at any direction you want...and as said, if you do not want the gizmo handle, just turn it off.

But generally it is that workflow of extending in normal direction by default that makes things easier in blender...and on top of that, you do not have to hit "e" and "t" for move translate, it is all happening in one go with blenders extender, a double workflow principle in Lightwave that blender doesnīt have, and I wish Lightwave devs could try and match that.

Note edit, the only similar tool in Lightwave would be using multishift, it would be nice though to have that ease of use in the extend tool.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic, more of a tool function than the UI perhaps... but in blender for instance, it is nice to have a gizmo available (optional to turn of that widget is available) when you hit "e" for extend ...by default the extension will be done in the normal direction, which
    is great, while in Lightwave it is required to use ctrl to constrain the extended direction, I think that is not as smooth and good as in blender, using another extend direction than the normal direction is in my eyes not
    so frequently needed..as a normal direction, now in blender you can use the gizmo handles to extend at any direction you want...and as said, if you do not want the gizmo handle, just turn it off.

But generally it is that workflow of extending in normal direction by default that makes things easier in blender...and on top of that, you do not have to hit "e" and "t" for move translate, it is all happening in one go with blenders extender, a double workflow principle in Lightwave that blender doesnīt have, and I wish Lightwave devs could try and match that.

Note edit, the only similar tool in Lightwave would be using multishift, it would be nice though to have that ease of use in the extend tool.
    In LW if you activate move first then use ’e’, then it works quite smooth. Still it lacks easy constrain to all axis,normal, gizmo and snapping so in this regard Blender is superior. ( like in most things) I get amazed every day using blender, it’s so fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    In LW if you activate move first then use ’e’, then it works quite smooth. Still it lacks easy constrain to all axis,normal, gizmo and snapping so in this regard Blender is superior. ( like in most things) I get amazed every day using blender, it’s so fun.
    Well..I donīt think so, itīs only valid for when extending a poly at one direction at the time, selecting another poly and extending will force you to hit "t" either first or after the extension, while I am more using the extender or various polys to build shapes..which means every other poly could be a different poly than the first selected.

With blender you just click your face extend automaticly in normal direction and move in one go, pick another poly and do the same, itīs soo much smoother.

If you use the tweak tool and right mouse to click, you would only have to hold ctrl in to constrain to normal direction, but you could freely just hover over any surface, in fact that is in someway smoother than blender extend since you do not have to hit "e" for extend, nor select a polyface at all, so maybe that is the most equal operation..where it only lacks auto normal direction extending, implementing that...and also multi hovering select faces..and they really got something..cause extending in blender can be done with multiselections, while the tweak tool only works on one polyface selection.

The tweak tool in Lightwave can be twirky and not extending properly in the direction you want sometimes though, and instead just extending it perpendicular to itīs own normal face.(not sure if I described that right)

If you guys didnīt know, I didnīt...learning everyday

In Lightwave 2015.3..
    You can actually also use extender with the transform tool, so select your polyface or multiple selected faces, activate transform tool to get the gizmo, and hit "e" for extend and move the extension with the transform tool.
    This means you can get a constrained move by moving the gizmo, and you can also scale uniformly,or stretch or rotate, then just hit extend again for new extrusions ..the transform tool will still be active until you drop it, so
    those work together.

Though I wish it could work by hovering over a polyface and click to drag..like the tweak tool, a merge of this tool into one would be sweet, the transform tool has similar hovering select like the tweak tool, but it only seems to work for aligning the transform tool pivot position, Itīs not actually performing a selection to move or scale.

Double post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inkscape load from file.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	143162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inkscape render 3D polyhedron.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	143163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lw_toroid.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	143164  

Just noticed today..
    Creating icons/mockups..

Inkscape, adding your own 3d obj file formats to load in to inskape, and use ...Render/3D polyhedron.
    By default there are some shapes in there, but you can export out any obj file..and save it under..
    C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions\Poly3DObjects

That is where the main shapes are, the file size will probably be a lot larger, but it works.
    It seems to take in to account the front viewport in Lightwave for rotation etc, so you may want to rotate your object in other viewports to have a perspective look directly when loading in inkscape,
    now you can also leave it as it is in Lightwave, and rotate it in the Render 3D Polyhedron settings, but I think itīs a bit tricky to get right...at least for the fact I recently just learnt about it.

You can set opacity and color, but I would suggest to skip that and deal with all that in the object fill tab, and stroke tabs..you can deactive the strokes (no wireframe) make them any color you want, lower opacity etc.
    You can scale this object layer in inkscape without loosing quality as well.

May be of use for those who wants to add icons, unless just rendering out images(that means scaling restrictions), or creating it manually vector based, as this is converted to vectors you can always scale as you want.
    Stroke style can be anything, in stroke size or use dashed or whatever.

When you use load from file in inskape render / 3D polyhedron...there is no browser to locate the file, just set it to load from file, and paste the name of your exported lightwave obj file into the filename field, and it should load the obj..donīt forget to check live preview.

mmm i quite like how chronosculpt ui is ...

Quote Originally Posted by 3dhotshot View Post
    mmm i quite like how chronosculpt ui is ...
    that's curious. Because its poorly laid out in my opinion whe it comes to the navigation butons at the top which should be over on the right hand side just like in modeler or layour so you can easily get at them and they also 'overlay' over geometry without a backer making them hard to see and too easy to hit geometry with your tool rather tan the navigation because its in the center of the window where geometry normally is going to be all the time. So.. BAD UI.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast