Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2020 NEW GUI

Hi All

This is an update to my earlier UI/UX design. I spoke earlier about a contextual menu that should combine similar tools into a group.

This is a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_04.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	143113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_07.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	143112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_05.jpg 
Size:	442.4 KB 
ID:	143114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_06.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	143115

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Not sure I follow. Maybe not the best AA in the world, but pretty "rubberbandy" to me.
    Attachment 143104
    Honestly, the node connection in Lightwave look horrible, open blender, houdini or modo and compare...add to that the limited zoom function wich isnīt present in houdini or blender, add to that the much more softer color scheme in blender and houdini.
    What Lightwave got going for nodes, that is the amount of node functions (Even though it lost dpont nodes) Blender has a somewhat limited range of nodes.
    I also prefer how smooth it is to navigate in the nodes with scroll zoom and middle mouse pan in blender, itīs almost the same in houdini..while navigating within nodes in Lightwave isnīt my cup of tea .
    Rubberband connection can be rubberbandy, that doesnīt mean they are pretty ..when the whole issue was that they are poorly antialiased, and the question was not if they are rubberband or not.

You guys do my head in. I check in now and again to see what the lightwave community is knocking out on the forums and all I see is the same people either moaning about the lack of progress or hypothesis about the future of LW. Its a boring perpetual circle.

Do you guys do any actual work? Wheres the creativity? I mean theres next to nothing in the gallery or work in progress threads....pffft!
    Last edited by Otterman; 10-16-2018 at 07:36 AM.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    What prompted discussion about a new UI? Reminds me of old Blender forum posts... what was that... 2013?

@motion I actually like that , very pretty but for working I can only imagine it getting laggy and not very productive, it does replicate the new blender ui theme somewhat... it does give you food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Otterman View Post
    You guys do my head in. I check in now and again to see what the lightwave community is knocking out on the forums and all I see is the same people either moaning about the lack of progress or hypothesis about the future of LW. Its a boring perpetual circle.

Do you guys do any actual work? Wheres the creativity? I mean theres next to nothing in the gallery or work in progress threads....pffft!
    Why are you even jumping in ..if you feel it does your head in, just drop out of the UI discussions if you are bored with it...it will spare your head, engaging in it may just be as Moaning back to the moaners with equally boring results.

Is it really taking you by surprise that people complain (moan) when there still isnīt happening anything for so long time with the UI?
    would it actually in some mysterious way improve the UI if we just
    did our work to the gallery and pretend as everything is just fine as it is?

I donīt get the idea of Your questionary? "Do you guys do any actual work? " would that be an requirement for the allowance to continue to discuss the UI? or in some case needed as
    something to validate that we know what we are talking about?

There are loads of factors that individuals or groups of people here in the community doesnīt do any work, One of the factors may be that they have reduced their working time within
    Lightwave and use something else that feels better, that doesnīt mean they wouldnīt have any hope or do not care about the future develeopment of Lightwave...and discussions about the UI
    Can still serve as feedback for the Lw team, Once they put this on the Agenda...ergo, itīs unlikely it is just a waste of moaning.

The amount of work or quality of work from any individual, doesnīt by any factor Improve the Lightwave UI...where it is lacking today.
    If you have followed the discussion, you can evidently see mockups, suggestions...and not just pure complaints without any constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    What prompted discussion about a new UI? Reminds me of old Blender forum posts... what was that... 2013?
    What prompted A discussion about a new UI?
    Well...Jolanga did ..since he just had his input version of a possible new UI, for 2020...if there is any Lightwave release that year and with that name.
    What motivated him?..No idea, except for that One may suspect that the long time of no real UI vamping up in Lightwave may be the cause of it.

Quote Originally Posted by motiondigital View Post
    Hi All

This is an update to my earlier UI/UX design. I spoke earlier about a contextual menu that should combine similar tools into a group.

This is a work in progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_04.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	143113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_07.jpg 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	143112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_05.jpg 
Size:	442.4 KB 
ID:	143114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_06.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	143115
    I think you do really good icons and clean stuff mostly, though the additional transform tool menu, is running verticly, where I think It should be running horizontally like a shelf tool, I think it would occupy less space and distract less.
    Setup as a tab naming convention I have always questioned, wouldnīt it be more helpful to re-name it as "Rig" setup could mean so much more outside of rigging, where in fact it just deals with rigging, I believe any newcomer would find it much easier to find the rigging tools when searching for rigging, not setup.

the model layout tabs I wonder if they wouldnīt be better of staying in a static left split menu for those two options, not buttons under eachother, but split next to eachother..constantly visible (if a UI could handle that)
    this would open up for the main menu to constantly just feed you input on either model main menu tabs, or if you click on layout, it would show only layout scene tools main menus in that top row...with the model and layout tabs gone from that place, I think it would get more space for other tabs and it would be more focused.

Quote Originally Posted by johlanga View Post
    Hi,
    Here are a thread for my input on how Lightwave can use it's current GUI/workflow as a strong turning point for something fresh and NEW

A picture of my current GUI setup in Modeler 11.6.3 as a teaser. More follows in next couple of weeks....
    Attachment 143082
    I don't see too much different other than the labels.
    I'm curious about your thought process behind the symbols you chose. Interested to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Honestly, the node connection in Lightwave look horrible, open blender, houdini or modo and compare...add to that the limited zoom function wich isnīt present in houdini or blender, add to that the much more softer color scheme in blender and houdini.
    What Lightwave got going for nodes, that is the amount of node functions (Even though it lost dpont nodes) Blender has a somewhat limited range of nodes.
    I also prefer how smooth it is to navigate in the nodes with scroll zoom and middle mouse pan in blender, itīs almost the same in houdini..while navigating within nodes in Lightwave isnīt my cup of tea .
    Rubberband connection can be rubberbandy, that doesnīt mean they are pretty ..when the whole issue was that they are poorly antialiased, and the question was not if they are rubberband or not.
    When you say " still no smooth rubberband connections..as seen here" are you referring to the AA or that we don't "have" rubberband connections? I read it as we don't have rubberband connections - which of course we do. It did kind of puzzle me that you wouldn't know that.

I guess they look okay, but I'm sure a good designer could improve upon them. As far as function goes they need some help. I would like to see a way to disable a connection without disconnecting it as well as the node window having the same navigation as other viewports within LW.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 10-16-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    When you say " still no smooth rubberband connections..as seen here" are you referring to the AA or that we don't "have" rubberband connections? I read it as we don't have rubberband connections - which of course we do. It did kind of puzzle me that you wouldn't know that.

I guess they look okay, but I'm sure a good designer could improve upon them. As far as function goes they need some help. I would like to see a way to disable a connection without disconnecting it as well as the node window having the same navigation as other viewports within LW.
    You shouldnīt guess they look ok, either they do look ok for you or not for me they look very bad in comparison to three major packages, and I havenīt looked at maya and max for ages..so do not know there, itīs just that the lack of a smoother look, it simply taints the overall impression of Lightwave as not being modern.

Ivīe never said we do not have rubberband connections, if I wanted to point out that we do not have rubberband connections, I would have written..we do not have rubberband connections
    Now I said..smooth rubberband connections, but sure..I could have emphasized it a bit more as smooth AA rubberband connections, never crossed my mind it could be interpreted wrong..since we always had rubberband connections...I think.

I like how I can add a node inbetween other nodes In blender, without disconnecting the main node, like adding a multiply node inbetween an image node ..just drag and place it on the rubberband between image node and output nodes and it will automaticly connect there, that is not possible in Lightwave today, you would have to disconnect the image node from the output node, and reroute it to the multiply node, then reroute the multiply node to the output node.

On the other hand, image nodes in blender lack invert options..which sort of drives me a little crazy, where in lightwave ....the image node has an invert function built into that very image node, so yes...some things are better in Lightwave when dealing with nodes, I also appreciate all the procedurals and nodes (though dpont procedurals in node form took a beating) blenders fractal nodes are very thin actually and not in the same range as Lightwave.
    Other than that...working with the UI within the nodes in blender is a more softer nicer experience.

I think I would rate node improvents like this...

1. I need to zoom in much much more...please fix.
    2. fix the Rubberband AA
    3. fix navigation to zoom with scroll mouse, and pan middle mouse click move.
    4. make place in between node connections working with drag and place (like blender) it will be a smoother faster workflow.
    5. make outside settings for textures etc work better with the connections of nodes, you can connect nodes within a material in the surface tab in blender, the direct communication between these elements are better implemented in blender, so that is something they could work on.

and more can be done.

I think for the most part LW looks pretty good. But looks and how it works are two different things, so before they put a pretty picture on it I hope they fix some of it's outdated paradigms. These designs by motiondigital look pretty good, however I really like Matt's design style as well.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I know some don't agree.

But I think they should base it on HTML & CSS.
    Then a multitude of people can create all kinds of GUI's.

Would be crazy if the connections were nodal arrangements in the node editor.

All vector based graphics for the interface.

I'm pretty okay with the UI as it is, with the very prominent exception of tabs.

Tabs need to be as wide as the text on them by default. Dialogs needs to be as wide as they need to be to fit them. Abbreviating text is a fail, IMO.

And I couldn't care less how the node lines look as long as it's clear to me what links to what. AA is not at all important to me.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast